Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: anybody know how to replace the heater blower??  (Read 3722 times)

March 02, 2008, 12:09:16 pm

superman293

• Junior

anybody know how to replace the heater blower??
« on: March 02, 2008, 12:09:16 pm »
my heater fan finally gave out last night, it has been making some nasty sounds for the past months, and now it's dead, not sure how to put my new one in, i started to take apart the heater box that has the heater core and cooling core, but had no luck, can sombody point me to a thread with instructions, or tips, i think i can see the fan from the rain pan, but i could be wrong, sombody point me somwhere it's too cold!!!!!
this is in a 82 rabbit with ac
thanks

Reply #1March 02, 2008, 09:25:31 pm

superman293

• Junior

well i replaced but have a new problem, only one speed
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 09:25:31 pm »
I put my new motor in, and now i only have the high speed, now what?

Reply #2March 03, 2008, 09:57:30 pm

Quantum TD

• Veteran

anybody know how to replace the heater blower??
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 09:57:30 pm »
If the motor only works on one speed, it's either the resistor (Common on MK II) or the relay (Common on MK 1). The relay is screwed to the driver's side of the heater box on a MK 1, and the resistor is on the passenger side  (on either). It's a plug with a single screw holding into the box. On the MK 2, you can remove the glove box to access it. On the  MK1, you should be able to access it from under the dash.

Reply #3March 07, 2008, 08:39:57 am

denroldiesel

Re: anybody know how to replace the heater blower??
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 08:39:57 am »
Quote from: "superman293"
my heater fan finally gave out last night, it has been making some nasty sounds for the past months, and now it's dead, not sure how to put my new one in, i started to take apart the heater box that has the heater core and cooling core, but had no luck, can sombody point me to a thread with instructions, or tips, i think i can see the fan from the rain pan, but i could be wrong, sombody point me somwhere it's too cold!!!!!
this is in a 82 rabbit with ac
thanks

This is an electrical fault on the heater motor.  The motor is controlled by a resistor pack which is clipped to the motor housing. Most of these units are made by Valeo and can be fixed.  You need to assess that the motor has not been blocked by debris - herbage/insects - make sure it can spin freely.  There is a plastic plug on the base of the motor, access inside the car in the footwell, to release foriegn stuff.... try that first.  

The impellor housing can be split by turning the top half anti clockwise, after you dropped it out of the firewall bulkhead.  The resistor pack is detachable and replaceable, so is the motor but they are not cheap.  This is another item not on the regular service check list.

Fixmyvw.com