Author Topic: leaking return lines  (Read 4199 times)

April 08, 2005, 05:16:50 pm

chrissev

• Veteran

leaking return lines
« on: April 08, 2005, 05:16:50 pm »
I've tried everything I can think of, including replacing all the lines and cleaning out the return line all the way back to the tank, and the lines still leak.  Particularly injector #2 on both sides, and where the return line goes into the return line that comes out of the injection pump.  Smoke comes out from under the hood when the car is idling at traffic lights, entire inside of car stinks of diesel.  How do I stop these stupid return lines from leaking?  Tried tying the leaky areas with tie wraps, stopped the leaks there, and they immediately started in other areas that had not been leaking before.

88 Jetta TD....sold for $1000, bought an 06 Cobalt, clearing out the diesel jetta stuff now

Reply #1April 09, 2005, 03:19:31 am

vwmike

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

Re: leaking return lines
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2005, 03:19:31 am »
Quote from: "chrissev"
I've tried everything I can think of, including replacing all the lines and cleaning out the return line all the way back to the tank, and the lines still leak.  Particularly injector #2 on both sides, and where the return line goes into the return line that comes out of the injection pump.  Smoke comes out from under the hood when the car is idling at traffic lights, entire inside of car stinks of diesel.  How do I stop these stupid return lines from leaking?  Tried tying the leaky areas with tie wraps, stopped the leaks there, and they immediately started in other areas that had not been leaking before.

That just sounds like you must have a clog in the return. There's no way it can leak that bad and not be overpressurized.

Reply #2April 09, 2005, 12:13:17 pm

chrissev

• Veteran

Re: leaking return lines
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2005, 12:13:17 pm »
Quote from: "vwmike"
Quote from: "chrissev"

That just sounds like you must have a clog in the return. There's no way it can leak that bad and not be overpressurized.

it's weird, because I put a long wire from front to back of the main line, and that is clear, then checked check valve at tank, functions and is clear, then checked small line at front, blew through clear no problem, then put all back together and blew into the line at front, no resistance and I can hear air bubbles in the tank when I blow through.  I'm thinking maybe something is clogged in one of the little return lines or in an injector.

Is there an air breather somewhere that might be clogged and causing the tank to pressurize and not let the fuel back in?
88 Jetta TD....sold for $1000, bought an 06 Cobalt, clearing out the diesel jetta stuff now

Fixmyvw.com