S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: My Koni Suspension Issues...  (Read 5020 times)

February 19, 2008, 04:25:19 pm

Baselyne

My Koni Suspension Issues...
« on: February 19, 2008, 04:25:19 pm »
Ok so A freind of mine dropped off a set off stock rabbit suspension for an A1 as i was having trouble passing my safty

I installed the stock suspension in my 80 rabbit and it was all Bahaa
The suspension was even sagging alittle due to sitting a while but somehow it came out like this....below

Im thinking this isnt looking right so I took it apart!!!?????????

I got thinking later on that It's normal ride height for a stock rabbit so I bought an adjustable suspension off another friend who claim they were Koni adjustbles and that I could drop the stock rabbit ride height with the OEM springs!

I want to use my Oem springs... But I cannot seem to find how to lower this suspension... Does anyone have koni's like these or knows how from previous experiences?

It seems I by my measurements that If i could lower the perch on the strut then I could probubley lower the ride height!

WHo can we contact at Koni for this information? Where on this strut is the serial numbers or P/N?

Im told I can re-fresh them by putting in a new shock cylinder? is this true? If so where can I get some?

Reply #1February 20, 2008, 12:02:13 am

TedV

• Junior

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 12:02:13 am »
I've not seen ajustable perches just like those but going by the pictures:
soak in WD-40 or PB-blaster

at first I thought it is like the rear Koni shocks for VW and it is a circlip, but one picture from the bottom looks more like a large upside down valve retainer.  Almost looks like if you push the spring perch up to the top, the retainers will be movable. Put them in the slot for the height you want then push the perch back down to lock them in place.  If it's not all rusted together.  

For a street car, I'd say shoot for A-arms parallel to the ground.  With stock springs and lowering the car careful not to bottom out the shock/ suspension, esp when turning.  bad things will happen

Reply #2February 20, 2008, 12:12:56 am

TedV

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 12:12:56 am »
oh, about the inserts, are they the single adjust inserts?  small flat head out the top that turns to adjust rebound damping.  You should be able to get those at most any VW performance part supply house or Ground Control.  any part number will be on the insert inside the strut housing.  There might be spacers at top and/or bottom of the insert between it and the housing.

Reply #3February 20, 2008, 07:08:03 am

Baselyne

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 07:08:03 am »
I have replaced the A-arms, springs, struts, hubs and upper bushings in suspension. even tie rods both sides and Im sitting baaaahhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Yes these are the struts that have the adjustable dampner on the top!

I was thinking this was a replaceable cylinder...So anyone have a link to a site that has those?

I'll be busy soaking in something all day and i can give them a try tonight again but it's really stuck togethor...

I also have the rears....with the curclip under that's really easy to adjust! Not the fronts tho...

Can someone comment on my Bahha stock suspension>? This cannnot be stock rabbit ride height can it? it's like 5.5 inches from top of tire to bottom of fender! So Im thinking this can't be right!

thanks so much for the information you've given anymore would be great!

Reply #4February 20, 2008, 11:45:42 am

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 11:45:42 am »
Did you roll the car around or anything since you installed the new suspension?
Tyler

Reply #5February 20, 2008, 12:21:57 pm

TedV

• Junior

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 12:21:57 pm »
are the shocks bad?  my first Scirocco I didn't have enough room under it to reach something, buddy yanked up in the bumper and the car stayed stuck up in the air.  :lol:  I had a set of bilsteins that pogoed out when they went bad, gave the Rabbit the ralley look like yours.  Bounce the car and see what happens.  Should bounce a time or 2 and stop

Reply #6February 21, 2008, 04:41:02 am

Baselyne

why the fcuk
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 04:41:02 am »
I have not rolled the car around at all but ive seen suspension out of a car and installed then lowered back down many times before....

I know what you mean about jumping on the corner or bumper, it dosent bounce much more than the explained 1 or 2 times with the stock suspension in!

Im Just sitting almost 6 inch off the top of the tire to bottom of fender/wheel well area!  The height of the white area!

Reply #7February 21, 2008, 06:04:15 am

Patrick

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 06:04:15 am »
I'd bet on mk2 springs in a mk 1, been there done that. Either get the right springs or start cutting off coils.......... Cutting coils will get the ride hieght where you want it, but bet on a stiff ride. All depends what you want............

Reply #8February 21, 2008, 07:31:10 am

Baselyne

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 07:31:10 am »
I want stock rabbit suspension. I was told I was getting Oem vw rabbit suspension that would sit with my stock wheels and stock fenders in stock ride height

Reply #9February 21, 2008, 07:56:57 am

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 07:56:57 am »
If those are the ones from me they are off a 81 4 door rabbit, definitely mk1
Tyler

Reply #10February 21, 2008, 05:15:37 pm

Baselyne

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 05:15:37 pm »
im stumped unless the struts are that pouched that they wont even go down more than 6 inch

wild, im not sure what to do...
I guess get new struts? I can't seem to get this right and ive had 5 different suspension set ups in this car and almost toasted a set of spring compressors...

what can I do

Reply #11February 22, 2008, 01:49:03 pm

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2008, 01:49:03 pm »
the guys on vhortex in the mkI forum tend to know a bit about this. if i were you i would research how to achieve the type of ride you are looking for based on the testimonials of people who have done it, then buy the suspension that is known to fit the bill.

Reply #12February 22, 2008, 02:28:11 pm

Baselyne

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2008, 02:28:11 pm »
Good call on that... Im going to have to dust the cob webs off my vortex account

What a rat race for this suspension situation
more back and forth than a 1 night stand

Reply #13February 22, 2008, 03:11:12 pm

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2008, 03:11:12 pm »
search the old posts if anything. i havent been around much either but there is a lot of good stuff in there. wwr and a few others have good facts for rabbit setup.

Reply #14February 23, 2008, 07:30:26 am

Baselyne

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2008, 07:30:26 am »
Yeah WWR and a few others totaly provide info for the rest of the tex!

Here is some info Ive found regarding the koni's although it appears im the only one that has them...

If anyone knows where to find info about these becuase I cannot read most of the information in the table on step #6

I also wanted to add that lowering the koni's purchs with stock springs will not really have any effect on the ride height! Kinda makes me wonder what the point of having adjustable purchs is....

Fixmyvw.com