Author Topic: Mech pump questions  (Read 3038 times)

April 02, 2005, 10:04:21 am

Cashcrazy

Mech pump questions
« on: April 02, 2005, 10:04:21 am »
I am yet another person considering doing a mechanical fuel pump on a TDI. What are the most popular pumps to swap? Did VW make a mech. pump on an older diesel that is a bolt on? I am in the process of gathering all the parts needed for my conversion so any input is appreciated.

Reply #1April 02, 2005, 04:12:48 pm

GoFaster

• User+

Mech pump questions
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2005, 04:12:48 pm »
The 1.9TD pump is reported to work. I'm not sure if there's much difference betwee that and a 1.6TD pump. You need big nozzles with either of these due to the lower pressure.
'96 Passat TDI (looks stock)

Reply #2April 08, 2005, 08:50:36 pm

Piper106

• User+

Mech pump questions
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2005, 08:50:36 pm »
Based on what I think I know from reading this board and the previous GTI TD board, the pump off a late model VW 1.9 IDI TD would be the best bet.  As far as I know the Bosch part number on the side of the pump is 0 460 494 346.  

Look back through some of the earlier posts in this forum, there are some pretty strong discussions about whether one of these IDI pumps can be adjusted to run well on a TDI or whether it needs a camplate and plunger swap to get the best perfomance.  Also note that the earlier pumps have a 17 mm diameter drive shaft, and there is disagreement on whether that shaft is big enough to push the 850 bar (about 13000 psi) injection pressure on a TDI long term or whether you need the bigger 20 mm shaft like the actual TDI pumps have.  

I've never seen either arrangement run, so as far as which side in the discussion is right, I am speaking from ignorance (which seems to be pretty easy for me, the ignorance part that is).   Way I figure if you get one of the 20 mm diameter driveshaft pumps like the p/n above, you've got your bases covered either way.  

Piper106

S-PAutomotive.com