S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Quick question on IP timing procedure  (Read 3194 times)

February 06, 2008, 11:18:24 am

95gltd

Quick question on IP timing procedure
« on: February 06, 2008, 11:18:24 am »
I'm trying to set my timing with a guage in inches.

I start at tdc insert the guage preloaded to .300 inch. Turned the engine counter clockwise untill it stops moving. I zero out the guage by turning the face to 0.  Start going clockwise twoards tdc but way before i get there the big needle makes a complete turn clockwise(which would be more than double too much right) then the needle starts moving counterclockwise before i hit tdc. Is this normal? should i just keep turning clockwise untill tdc then note the timing on the guage? It seems odd that the little movement it took from tdc to find the lowest part of the pump stroke was not very far.

I'm new at this but to get .95mm timing it should be .037 of an inch which would require the needle moving from zero up to 30 on the guage then 7 more small notches for .037 right?

Question: once zeroed out and turning the engine to tdc should it take all this movement for the needle on the idicator to go from zero to what the timing is? as when i did it the needle went from 0 all the way around and then started going backwards and i hadn't got to TDC yet.

I know the timing is way retarded as it would hardly run before i adjusted. Yet the guage does this.

I had the pump rebuilt and new injectors. Set the timing by ear as i didn't have the guage. Set it just ahead of the point where it idles smooth. Did 650km on 49L of diesel in -20 C with about 1.5 hours idling. Now i have the tool and am trying to set it right.

In the end i had to just set it by ear while the engine was running to just be able to drive it.

Thanks

Reply #1February 06, 2008, 02:35:53 pm

Quantum TD

• Veteran

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 02:35:53 pm »
The prelaod will be meaured on the SMALL dial on the dial face. It should make at least 1-2 full revolutions on the small dial (and consequently the big dial too). This will be .100-.200 prelaod. I think that .300 is about the limit on your dial guage isn't it? On MM dials, there are 10 full revolutions, but on Inch dial indicators, I think  that you're only allowed 3, maybe 4. I think that you may have had too much preload, and the needle starts giong backwards to as to not damage the internal? (I don't really know the inner mechanics of the dial guage)

Anyway, once you have this 1-2 revolutions of 'prelaod', and the motor at TDC, then zero the gauge.

Rotate the crank backwards until the needle stops moving counterclockwise. You should see no more than about a complete revolution (on an inch indicator). Zero the gauge again.

Rotate the crank clockwise again to TDC. Take the reading on the gauge. If the reading is greater than .037, then rotate the forward (to retard the timing), if it's less, then rotate the pump back towards the motor.

If you're still getting the strange situation where the needle (on forward rotation to TDC) is going forwards, then backwards, I think that you're off a tooth on the timing (or more). It's possible that you're 180 degrees off with the injection pump. When you're at TDC, you should be able to see a notch cut into the back of the injection pump sprocket. If not, it means that you've locked the injection pump off 180 degrees when you set the timing belt. You'll have to correct this issue before you can time the car with the dial indicator.

This could explain your stange situtation where the needle goes back and forth before TDC. You see, the flat spot on the internal cam of the pump is at the #1 injection stroke. You may be on the #4.

Good luck, and let us know what you find out.

Reply #2February 06, 2008, 02:57:27 pm

95gltd

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 02:57:27 pm »
i will check the position of the ip sproket. Been awhile now since i had it off, but i was pretty sure that there is only 1 keyway on th epump shaft and 1 key in the sproket..

But if the pump sproket was 180 degress off would the engine even run?

I had the pump rebuilt and injectors. Installed them, set the t-belt then timed it by ear. In this condition
i went 650km on 49l of fuel in -20 C weather with 1.5 hours of idling.

It started at -20 without being plugged in pretty easy. Engine turned over 1/2 turn.

My guage has an inch of travel so it will go around 10 times aldo. It was preloaded to .300.

S-PAutomotive.com