Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: RWD trans for TDI?  (Read 21639 times)

April 02, 2005, 03:51:27 am

funkaholik

• Junior

• http://funkaholik.tripod.com/index.html
RWD trans for TDI?
« on: April 02, 2005, 03:51:27 am »
Is there any RWD manual trans that will bolt up to a TDI engine?  Maybe using an adapter?  I know they have adapter kits for TDI into Suzuki Samurai (FWD, I know).  I need a diesel engine swap for my 69 roadster project and would LOVE to put the TDI in it.  Any info greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Erik Miller
---------------------------
1981 VW Caddy - 1.6TD 
2005 Infiniti G35 - Vortech supercharged, drinking E85
1967 Mustang - 390 4 speed - for sunny days
1970 Datsun SPL311 Roadster - hibernating...

Reply #1April 02, 2005, 09:02:28 am

Patrick

• Veteran

RWD trans for TDI?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2005, 09:02:28 am »
Saw a conversion a whole bunch of years ago, used a rabbit gas engine to repower a chevy vega, notorious for a poor aluminum excuse for an engine(major oil consumption problems).It was a factory built adaptor that hooked the fwd engine to a GM tranny. Love to know what it was, and if it is still available! THe diesels bolt up the same as the gassers.

Reply #2April 02, 2005, 11:26:12 am

Smog

• Junior

Re: RWD trans for TDI?
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2005, 11:26:12 am »
Quote from: "funkaholik"
Is there any RWD manual trans that will bolt up to a TDI engine?  Maybe using an adapter?  I know they have adapter kits for TDI into Suzuki Samurai (FWD, I know).  I need a diesel engine swap for my 69 roadster project and would LOVE to put the TDI in it.  Any info greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

any machining shop will do it, find a local garage who have done subaru conversion in pre 1980 bus/westfalia they will be able to guide you to the right place.

also the suzuki samurai transmission can be used without the transfert case (they are a 2 units system with a small driveshaft between them); a 2wd sunrunner/tracker/sidekick transmission will also bolt on the samurai adapter. Just find the right rearend ratio so it won't scream 4000rpm at 60mph in fifth gear like in the samurai.
www.VEG-Injection-Service.com

1.6GTD nozzles (RA/SB )
1.9TD nozzles (AAZ )
0.205mm or 0.216mm TDI nozzles
TDI injection pump seal kit  
IDI Pump shaft seal

Reply #3April 06, 2005, 12:00:40 am

asau

RWD trans for TDI?
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2005, 12:00:40 am »
sammi tranny can be used as a 2wd, since the t-case is divorced just take it out. the reason sammi has high rpms is cause of the t-case in high range is not 1:1. sammi tranny is small, and light ;)
there is also an adaptor foe the vw diesel/4cyl pattern to toyota transmissions, so you could get a 2wd toy tranny if you need a stronger tranny.

Reply #4April 06, 2005, 06:17:37 am

Smog

• Junior

RWD trans for TDI?
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2005, 06:17:37 am »
Quote from: "asau"
sammi tranny can be used as a 2wd, since the t-case is divorced just take it out. the reason sammi has high rpms is cause of the t-case in high range is not 1:1. sammi tranny is small, and light ;)
there is also an adaptor foe the vw diesel/4cyl pattern to toyota transmissions, so you could get a 2wd toy tranny if you need a stronger tranny.

any idea where to find that toyota/vw adapter ?
www.VEG-Injection-Service.com

1.6GTD nozzles (RA/SB )
1.9TD nozzles (AAZ )
0.205mm or 0.216mm TDI nozzles
TDI injection pump seal kit  
IDI Pump shaft seal

Reply #5April 06, 2005, 08:27:15 am

RedRotors

• Veteran

• http://www.mikrotuning.com
RWD trans for TDI?
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2005, 08:27:15 am »
http://www.toyotadiesel.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=213&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

It's also in my future project list.. The cummins cost an arm in repairs fees..

Marc/
2k1 Golf TDI, 11mm pump, HFLOX Warp 5, VNT17, Wavetrac, 4" Lift
91' VW Golf Country
94' Dodge RAM 2500, 4x4, Cummins, 5 spds, 191's, 215hp injectors, SB Clutch
03' Dodge RAM 2500, 4x4, Cummins, 6 spds, MBPR 4 ", custom intake, Smarty Jr

-> www.mikrotuning.com <-
-> www.hflox.com <-

Reply #6April 06, 2005, 01:41:27 pm

DVST8R

• Veteran

RWD trans for TDI?
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2005, 01:41:27 pm »
http://www.acmeadapters.com :D

I don't know if they have it listed on there web site yet, but I do know for a fact that they make an adapter from VW to any 4cyl toyota tranny.
The Brett of the board...

The Dark Side of Beauty.[/i]

Reply #7April 06, 2005, 07:47:15 pm

renny10n

• User+

Re: RWD trans for TDI?
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2005, 07:47:15 pm »
Quote from: "funkaholik"

Thanks!

Your project is very do-able,  the adapter plates or the basic vw to Samurai kits that are out there, all would work.   The Toyota(22r/22re) 2wd truck 4 & 5 spd. xmsn.  all have the same bellhousing as the 4wd. models.  

Yes, you could also use the stock zuk. xmsn. since it has a devorced t-case w/ an intermediate drive shaft connecting the two.  But there is reliability concerns about using it behind the 1.9td,  it seems the tranny gets super hot & can't handle the torque for very long, so BOOM!.  

Of course you could get the ACME adapter to use the 2wd xmsn from the 1.6L Geo Tracker(suz) or the Suz Sidekick, alittle more robust/stout.

However,  because of the increased hp/torque that the TDI puts out(even w/mech. pump),  I would run the toy stuff('82-'86 W58, '86.5-'92 R154).    They often see amer. v6/v8's if front of them, i.e. Advance Adapters, etc.   The beauty of going toy is, you reuse all of the toy stuff(clutch,throwout bearing,starter,flywheel, etc.) no mismatched components from other cars to make it work, like in the suzuki kits.  However, w/ the toyota kit there will be clearence issues to overcome w/ the low slung turbo exh. to toyota starter.   The toy starter mounts from the front, on the pass. engine block side.   Since I am going mech.,  I just bought a new ATP type turbo exh. manifold that shoots straight out from the head.

I think the bigger issues you will have to over come will be fab. motor mount brackets,  fitment between your frame rails(especially w/that stock oil filter bracket sticking out like that), ECM/wiring harness & plumbing.

Yes, it's very do-able, just depends on your mechanical skills, tools or resorces available, patients, how deep is your pockets, etc., etc. :lol:

If you do decide to go the toy route,  I would suggest monitoring e-bay first.  There is two vendors selling their kits on there from time to time & you might be able to get it for less.(FRYNON8/ Jerry is one,  don't know what user name ACME/Jeff Kerr uses there, but it's not ACME)  Do a search for "suzuki samurai" or "vw diesel"

Right now fabbing my motor mounts to fit the samurai.  Got the flat plates cut out & mounted to the TDI block.  Will weld off of that once situated in the engine bay.  On the frame side will be using '32 Ford rubber bisquits.  I know Advance Adapters, Novak, Trans-Dapt have these simular unversal jeep v8 kits that might facilitate your install.  
 If you would like some pics. to get an idea let me know.

Toy truck 5sd.: gear ratio

"82- '86 W58
1st...3.285
2nd...1.894
3rd....1.275
4th....1.000
5th....0.783

[/b]
aloha!   ....renny

1987 Suzuki Samurai(soon to be repowered with A4/ALH 2001 TDI mated to Toyota truck xmsn/t-case.

Reply #8April 07, 2005, 12:20:04 am

asau

RWD trans for TDI?
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2005, 12:20:04 am »
i got my vw diesel to toyota transmission from www.acmeadapters.com and it has worked good for me.

Reply #9April 07, 2005, 02:44:18 am

DVST8R

• Veteran

RWD trans for TDI?
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2005, 02:44:18 am »
also as I recal you can use the bell housing from a toyota pickup and bolt a supra tranny to it. This would surely be enough of a tranny espesially the turbo version for any TDI app.
The Brett of the board...

The Dark Side of Beauty.[/i]

Reply #10April 07, 2005, 02:44:35 pm

renny10n

• User+

RWD trans for TDI?
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2005, 02:44:35 pm »
Quote from: "DVST8R"
also as I recal you can use the bell housing from a toyota pickup and bolt a supra tranny to it. This would surely be enough of a tranny espesially the turbo version for any TDI app.

[/b]    From what I understand the xmsn to bell housing bolt pattern is the same.   Just the bell on the supra 6cyl. has a different bellhousing to engine bolt pattern.  

Yes,  the toy turbo trannies(R151F/R154) are considered the better of the bunch.  The thing to be concern about if you do plan to use the  turbo xmsn weither from the toy 4x4(R151F) or in your case, the supra(R154), is that they both utilize a different bellhousing.  It's alittle longer to compensate for the longer input shaft.(I think it's like 190mm compared to the non-turbo @ 160mm)   So, you would have to locate a turbo bellhousing(R151F)from a 4x4 turbo truck, which would be a rare find in itself.  They only came out in '76 & '77....and are highly sought out.

You might be better off seeking the supra(W58) which was bolted up to the non-turbo fuel injected models(RE)  Any 22R(carb) or 22RE(inject) bellhousing will then bolt up(DIME A DOZEN!!!!!)
 I would imagine the supra xmsn being super tough, since it's bolted behind a straight six(M7?) RE & RET.   They also seem to be the tranny of choice for Mazda rotary fans as well.  I have seen aftermarket adapters/bellhousings to bolt them up to the Mazda rotary engine.

Hope this helps, aloha!
aloha!   ....renny

1987 Suzuki Samurai(soon to be repowered with A4/ALH 2001 TDI mated to Toyota truck xmsn/t-case.

Reply #11April 07, 2005, 03:39:13 pm

renny10n

• User+

RWD trans for TDI?
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2005, 03:39:13 pm »
Quote from: "asau"
i got my vw diesel to toyota transmission from www.acmeadapters.com and it has worked good for me.

I also got my basic vw to toy kit(adapt. plate, modified toy flywheel,pilot bush,hardware) from ACME/Jeff Kerr as well.  His kits are of excellent quality & is one stand up guy that provides unlimitless support weither you bought a kit from him or not.

I sold a kit(vw/zuk) that I bought from another vendor where the adapter plate was only 3/16" compared to Jeff's 3/8"-No comparison! :shock:
aloha!   ....renny

Reply #12May 03, 2005, 04:10:30 am

funkaholik

• Junior

• http://funkaholik.tripod.com/index.html
RWD trans for TDI?
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2005, 04:10:30 am »
Great!  Thank you SO MUCH for all the great info!  This project looks more and more do-able.  I've got a low mileage TDI motor for the swap, and Jeff at ACME has given me lots of good info on their adapter kits.  Now, of course:  More questions:

I found this link to Supra trans specs:  

http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM/mt/MT_02.html

Seems like the R154 is a beefier trans and has slightly higher gear ratios.  Can anyone confirm this? Are either the W58 or R154 available in different gear ratios, or are these specs the only options?  Are these identical to a truck trans?  If not, how smooth shifting is a truck trans?  This is going into a sports car, so would a supra trans be better, or are they basically the same?

The Supra setup is for a 6 cyl.  Can I definitely just bolt on a 22R bellhousing and go?  Input shafts, etc are the same?  
Thanks again, everyone!

Erik
Erik Miller
---------------------------
1981 VW Caddy - 1.6TD 
2005 Infiniti G35 - Vortech supercharged, drinking E85
1967 Mustang - 390 4 speed - for sunny days
1970 Datsun SPL311 Roadster - hibernating...

Reply #13June 03, 2005, 05:50:11 pm

dieselpower

• Junior

RWD trans for TDI?
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2005, 05:50:11 pm »
hey,
are the bolt patterns on the 1.6L and volvo 2.4L diesels the same?? if they are then you could use a volvo RWD tranny couldn't you. just get the right bellhousing out of a diesel volvo.

just an idea i thought of

Mark
84 rabbit 1.6TD
because real cars don't have sparkplugs

Reply #14June 03, 2005, 06:40:56 pm

greggearhead

• Junior

RWD trans for TDI?
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2005, 06:40:56 pm »
The regular (non-turbocharged) Toyota transmissions are fine for strength, at least the 4wd versions are.  The non-turbo ones handle 200+ hp v6s, 35-40" tires, massive torque multiplication through t-case gears, etc. without ANY problems.  

I had an 83 and someone changed the fluid and it leaked out, making a couple gears "noisy."  Still worked fine with new fluid, but I  replaced it with a later model W56 code 5 speed.  Daily driver, 35" tires, rear locking diff, etc etc.  Never a problem.  

Now, having worked with those a bunch and looking into the Suzuki stuff, the Sami stuff  should hold up fine, especially in something that doesn't weigh 4000 lbs and have 32+" tires.  I think the Toyota transmissions are going to add a bunch of unnecessary weight and size.

The Sidekick transmissions are beefier, use the same bellhousings (95% sure) and are available in 2wd (they don't have divorced transfercases so you have to get a 2wd version for your application).
Caddy (TD Project), Caddy 1.6D, etc etc.

Snow Performance Water-Methanol Injection

S-PAutomotive.com