Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: getting my TDI for my Caddy...some more help needed  (Read 4547 times)

April 01, 2005, 10:22:40 pm

Mikeyworks

• Veteran

• http://www28.brinkster.com/mikeyworks/
getting my TDI for my Caddy...some more help needed
« on: April 01, 2005, 10:22:40 pm »
I think I am getting my TDI in the next week or so to transplant into my Caddy.

As the engine sits right now, it's a 2000 Jetta TDI Auto tranny with a dead inj. pump. My plan is to put a mechanical pump on it and run an M-TDI.  I will use my 020 tranny for a while (3 mounts taken care of) and a passenger side motor mount like MrDave did in his Caddy.

I know that the M-TDI requires very little in the manner of electronics. I still need to power the stop solenoid, but what else needs power on the engine itself?

Do I need to replace the injectors? Will a Rover 300TDI pump work on these injectors (again: Auto tranny, TDI injectors)?  

How about the VNT function of the turbo? While my wife has her TDI, I am not allowed to play with it a lot. Is there anything I need to accout for there?

Anything else?

I appreciate your advise!!!!

Mikey

Reply #1April 01, 2005, 10:40:31 pm

GoFaster

• User+

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 10:40:31 pm »
Well, I'm not the expert because I haven't done it, I can only repeat what I've heard ...

If you go mechanical, the only thing on the engine other than the stop solenoid that needs power, is the glow plugs and the starter motor, and you should be able to plug in your existing wiring for that.

As for wiring ... coolant temp sensor, oil pressure switches. I don't think there's anything else - but I have no idea how compatible the 2000 TDI components are with your wiring harness. My guess is that the oil pressure switches should be OK but the coolant temp sensor won't be OK.

No idea about the Rover pump. The mechanical TDI's that work seem to use the 1.9TD (or 1.6TD?) pump with Kerma's big bad PP764 injectors, or something similar.

The VNT could be a problem. You could probably make it work "sorta" by connecting it to a vacuum source and then using a dawes device (mechanical boost controller). You will probably have to open up the stop screw that the vacuum pulls the actuator against in order to get boost down while cruising. I have never tried it, but if I were to try it, that's what I'd try  :lol:
'96 Passat TDI (looks stock)

Reply #2April 02, 2005, 02:22:22 pm

Smog

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2005, 02:22:22 pm »
Quote from: "GoFaster"

The VNT could be a problem. You could probably make it work "sorta" by connecting it to a vacuum source and then using a dawes device (mechanical boost controller). You will probably have to open up the stop screw that the vacuum pulls the actuator against in order to get boost down while cruising. I have never tried it, but if I were to try it, that's what I'd try  :lol:

it will do the job but I bet the low end boost of the vnt will produce enough torque to crack open the 020 tranny  8)   no joke the vnt turbo will produce a lot of torque when mechanicaly controled...

the m-tdi that is running in Montreal is using a completely stock 1.9td pump on a 2002 tdi engine with 1.6td turbo and the 0.216mm nozzles I sell. everything is fine but 27psi boost killed the head gasket last month.

the bigger the injectors, the less trouble you will get with the small driveshafted 1.9td pump.
www.VEG-Injection-Service.com

1.6GTD nozzles (RA/SB )
1.9TD nozzles (AAZ )
0.205mm or 0.216mm TDI nozzles
TDI injection pump seal kit  
IDI Pump shaft seal

Reply #3April 02, 2005, 03:52:43 pm

Mikeyworks

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2005, 03:52:43 pm »
Smog,

I am unlear on what you're recommending then.  If the boost controller is variable, I would think that the amount of boost provided by the VNT would then be variable as well, correct?  I wouldn't expect to turn the sucker all the way up...that would be nuts.

I have seen MrDave's Caddy running now for about 50K with the TDI (electronic) on the 020 tranny with no destruction. I would expect the electronic setup to be a bit more gentle on the tranny, but not totally unforgiving.

I am still planning on using the 020 tranny until I have acquired all the necessary parts for the proper conversion.  And hey, if I blow a tranny, I blow a tranny...it's not the end of the world.

Again, just trying to make sure what do is right....

Mikey

Reply #4April 04, 2005, 06:35:55 am

Smog

• Junior

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2005, 06:35:55 am »
Quote from: "Mikeyworks"
Smog,

I am unlear on what you're recommending then.  If the boost controller is variable, I would think that the amount of boost provided by the VNT would then be variable as well, correct?  I wouldn't expect to turn the sucker all the way up...that would be nuts.

I have seen MrDave's Caddy running now for about 50K with the TDI (electronic) on the 020 tranny with no destruction. I would expect the electronic setup to be a bit more gentle on the tranny, but not totally unforgiving.

I am still planning on using the 020 tranny until I have acquired all the necessary parts for the proper conversion.  And hey, if I blow a tranny, I blow a tranny...it's not the end of the world.

Again, just trying to make sure what do is right....

Mikey

the vnt turbo controled by a boost valve will sing full boost at very low rpm as it will be in an on-off mode; the electronics can control that thing to precisely adjust boost level but a boostvalve will ask for it's set point until the turbo reach it; the vnt15 is very small; my bet is that 20psi at 1500rpm is something you will see in a completely mechanical setup. And it will produce a lot of torque at a very low rpm.

the 360lb.ft at 2200rpm I made on the dyno with a mk4 tdi will kill a 020 for sure (in electronic mode, it killed the 2 drive axles and I'm not driving it hard)

But there's a way to limit the amount of low rpm boost by setting the vnt actuator limiter so the vnt vannes won't be able to fully open.

1.6GTD nozzles (RA/SB )
1.9TD nozzles (AAZ )
IDI Pump shaft seal

Reply #5April 04, 2005, 09:17:16 am

Mikeyworks

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2005, 09:17:16 am »
Somg,

Correct me if I am wrong, but can't an electronic boost valve be setup to allow different boost levels at different settings?  I was thinking of a multi-stage setup that may monitor the RPM level or such.

Who knows....

Mikey

Reply #6April 04, 2005, 09:28:04 am

Smog

• Junior

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2005, 09:28:04 am »
Quote from: "Mikeyworks"
Somg,

Correct me if I am wrong, but can't an electronic boost valve be setup to allow different boost levels at different settings?  I was thinking of a multi-stage setup that may monitor the RPM level or such.

Who knows....

Mikey

I don't know but I like to keep things simple.

1.6GTD nozzles (RA/SB )
1.9TD nozzles (AAZ )
IDI Pump shaft seal

Reply #7April 04, 2005, 09:35:18 am

Mikeyworks

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2005, 09:35:18 am »
Quote from: "Smog"
I don't know but I like to keep things simple.

...and I like to keep things from breaking...but simple works too!!!

Mikey

Reply #8April 05, 2005, 07:59:45 am

lord_verminaard

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2005, 07:59:45 am »
Doesnt the Upsolute stage II or III system use a non-vnt turbo?  Perhaps you could get your hands on one of those (not really the exact upsolute one but the same family) or even try a 1.9 IDI turbo and forget about the vnt junk.  Worth a look anyway...

Brendan
84 Scirocco 8v
00 Camaro L36 M49
81 Scirocco 'S -->Soon to be m-TDI
93 Corrado SLC VR6
'86 Golf N/A Diesel  -->Wife's car
1990 Audi CQ
05 New Beetle PD TDI

"I am a man, I can change... if I have to.... I guess....."

-Red Green

Fixmyvw.com