Author Topic: Bad stop solenoid?  (Read 5420 times)

March 30, 2005, 11:34:21 pm

watsongs

• Junior

Bad stop solenoid?
« on: March 30, 2005, 11:34:21 pm »
So I'm trying to get my '79 to start, but no joy.  It's been sitting for a while (see previous post).  I found a cracked return hose from the last injector to the top of the IP; replaced that, read through the post from September '04 about quick tips for restarting, took my wife's turkey baster (while she wasn't looking) and used it to fill the filter and the IP through the return banjo opening, took off the plug on the first injector and used the baster to push fuel through the injector return line until the air was out, etc.  Still no joy - have been cranking for 15-sec intervals about 20 times or so.  I've got 12 volts at the glows and 12 at the shutoff solenoid.  I'm suspecting the solenoid though, since if I jumper it straight to the battery I don't hear the usual solenoid "click."  Also, there's a few air bubbles in the last return line (couldn't find any black hose, so I got some clear neon green fuel line from the mower repair shop), and those haven't moved.  

So, am I on the right track, and can I pull the solenoid and plug it for now and just stall the engine until I get a new one?  And why is it such a pain to get at?  It looks like I'll have to remove the fuel rail to get to it.  Before I do anything drastic, does anybody have any other ideas?

Greg Watson
'79 Rabbit, 1.5 liters of fun...
If they can get you to ask the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers...

Reply #1March 31, 2005, 11:02:43 am

watsongs

• Junior

stop solenoid
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2005, 11:02:43 am »
Well, I thought I had it nailed, but this morning, I cleaned up the terminal on top of the solenoid and then wired it to the battery; sure enough it clicked.  I tried cranking for 20-30 secs and still nothing, and the small bubbbles in the fuel line haven't moved.  I might try towing it tonight, and I haven't checked glow plugs yet visually, so maybe I'll  check that first.  Good thing the weekend's coming up...
Greg Watson
If they can get you to ask the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers...

Reply #2April 01, 2005, 04:26:48 am

dieselpower

• Junior

Bad stop solenoid?
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2005, 04:26:48 am »
try cracking the injector lines at the injectors then crank it and see if fuel comes out. if it does then you should look at glowplugs, compression, ect. if it doesn't then you have bigger problems. it could be that the injection pump isnt fully primed, or maybe you might need a whole new pump.

does it even try to start when you crank it?

also make sure you dont cook your starter motor by cranking too much, cuz then you'll just have one more thing to worry about.

good luck

Mark
84 rabbit 1.6TD
because real cars don't have sparkplugs

Reply #3April 01, 2005, 04:34:02 am

dieselpower

• Junior

Bad stop solenoid?
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2005, 04:34:02 am »
also make sure all the fuel lins are free and unclogged, and make sure the stuff you got from the mower shop is diesel rated, or it might eat through it eventually.

Mark
84 rabbit 1.6TD

Reply #4April 01, 2005, 10:59:53 am

watsongs

• Junior

no start
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2005, 10:59:53 am »
Mark - did all the above; still nothing; and it doesn't even come close to starting, even when I spray WD-40 into the intake, as I've seen suggested.  I have a sinking feeling I have a bad injector pump; I'm going to try hooking up an electric pump or a primer bulb to try and force fuel through the injector.
Greg Watson

Reply #5April 01, 2005, 04:22:57 pm

dieselpower

• Junior

Bad stop solenoid?
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2005, 04:22:57 pm »
hey,
im sorry to hear you cant get it started, anyway im not too sure but when diesel sits for a long time does it start to turn to sludge like gas does. cuz if it does you might have to take apart the pump and clean it out.

is the fuel coming out of the lines when you take them off the injectors?

sorry i cant help you more

Mark
84 rabbit 1.6TD

Reply #6April 01, 2005, 04:29:03 pm

watsongs

• Junior

fuel problems
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2005, 04:29:03 pm »
Hey, any help at all is welcome!

Anyway, no fuel comes out the injectors, and no fuel is moving through the infeed line (watching the bubble in the line).  I'm going to get a primer bulb and see if I can force some fuel through, also check the timing as well.
Greg Watson

Reply #7April 01, 2005, 09:05:49 pm

chrissev

• Veteran

Re: fuel problems
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2005, 09:05:49 pm »
Quote from: "watsongs"
Hey, any help at all is welcome!

Anyway, no fuel comes out the injectors, and no fuel is moving through the infeed line (watching the bubble in the line).  I'm going to get a primer bulb and see if I can force some fuel through, also check the timing as well.

If you suspect lack of prime in the pump you can pour fuel into the output of the pump (return line) and then turn the pump by hand, then keep doing this until fuel comes out the input of the pump.  It will then be primed.  There shouldn't be any bubbles in the line.  You might have an air leak somewhere on the way back to the fuel tank.  Worth checking out.
88 Jetta TD....sold for $1000, bought an 06 Cobalt, clearing out the diesel jetta stuff now

Reply #8April 03, 2005, 12:10:24 am

watsongs

• Junior

IP troubles
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2005, 12:10:24 am »
To turn the pump by hand, I'll have to remove the timing belt, I suppose, so I'll have to lock everything else in place and mark the IP pulley so I can return it to it's position, right?  I guess I'll do a whole belt replacement/timing  job, and my diesel mechanic education continues...
Greg Watson

Reply #9April 03, 2005, 07:43:07 am

dieselpower

• Junior

Bad stop solenoid?
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2005, 07:43:07 am »
hey,
i don't like that way of priming the pump because contaminates can get into the pump that way. the way i do it is hook up a vacuum pump to the return line and suck the fuel through the filter into the pump the way it's supposed to go.

my 2 cents

Mark
84 rabbit 1.6TD

Reply #10April 03, 2005, 11:59:13 am

watsongs

• Junior

fuel concern
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2005, 11:59:13 am »
Mark -

Will the vacuum pull the fuel through the pump without it turning, or do I have to crank the engine (or otherwise turn the pump) at the same time?  It would seem that fuel couldn't flow through when the IP is idle, or it would drain everytime the car was parked.
Greg Watson