Author Topic: I am moving to Boston.  (Read 4957 times)

January 23, 2008, 08:51:06 pm

Ziptar

• Veteran

I am moving to Boston.
« on: January 23, 2008, 08:51:06 pm »
Be moving up the end of February.

Anyone on this board in the neighborhood?

Reply #1January 23, 2008, 09:52:29 pm

blkboostedtruck

• Veteran

I am moving to Boston.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 09:52:29 pm »
do you wanna move here where i'm at? i'll trade you locations? 8)
don't hurt to ask? i'm allready tired of this cold white stuff! i'd rather see warm white stuff! sand!! L.O.L.
thanks Duane
injector rebuilds call  414-840-1395 for faster service not on line much!
'66 variant 1500S
'81 2dr n/a 1.6 diesel rabbit 8"lift 260K R.I.P.
'81 caddy gas 1.8 turbo/stroker W/N.O.S.
'81 caddy 1.9 turbo diesel
'82 caddy gas 1.8 G60
 3 jettas '82' '04 '14TDI
+1 rabbit,03 HD sc.eag. duece,46,&5

Reply #2January 24, 2008, 05:35:45 am

Ziptar

• Veteran

I am moving to Boston.
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 05:35:45 am »
Hah, no thanks I'll stay on the east coast.

After 14 years down here, I am ready for a change. Warm White stuff is fine, most of the year it's "Too Dang Hot!" white stuff.

Reply #3January 24, 2008, 01:58:04 pm

subsonic

• Veteran

I am moving to Boston.
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 01:58:04 pm »
Where in Boston?  Will you be in downtown or "greater Boston"?  Irish side, Itailian side?  It's all one large megaplex anyway.  I know we have a few guys there.  Scopefrfd in in there.
2009 Jetta TDI Loyal edition, 6-spd. 16V 2.0CR

1985 VW Golf 5-spd, 4-door, 1.6NA  Bought from orig. owner in Savannah with 42,000 miles.
"Making the jump NA to TD" slow but sure.

1980 VW Rabbit LS 5-spd, 4-door 1.6NA almost 450,000miles  RIP

Reply #4January 24, 2008, 08:48:09 pm

Ziptar

• Veteran

I am moving to Boston.
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 08:48:09 pm »
I'll be working in Back Bay in the city.

Being both Italian and Irish both sides are intriguing, where are they?

As far as living, haven't tied that down yet. Been looking all over, main requirements are decent rail commute for me and decent schools for my daughters. I like Cambridge but, the wife isn't too hot on it. Also looking at   Arlington, Winchester, and Concord to name a few. It's hard to make a call from a distance.

My wife and I lived in Beverly in the early 90s and she grew up in Newburyport. We've got family in Maynard and Newburyport.

We have found a short term furnished rental in Rockport, it's a longer commute than I'd like but, it's temporary. It might be the way to go though, that way we can stuff all of our junk in a POD and it will give us  a few months to really look places over.

As far as finding MKII VW's in yards in New England how is it? I have gotten pretty spoiled down here with the pickaparts always having 4-5 at any given time, they don't rust much in FL.

Reply #5January 24, 2008, 11:31:44 pm

subsonic

• Veteran

I am moving to Boston.
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 11:31:44 pm »
Parts can be had.  They are all just rusty with frozen bolts.
The Irish side is called Southie.  Lot's of old school IRA bars etc.
  Boston has some really bad schools in certain area's. Like armed police in the schools and metal detectors bad.    There are great school systems as well.  The school quality will really drive your choices.
The commuter rail is called the T.  You can live a good distance out of the city and still get in on the T.  The DownEaster train runs into the city as well, from all the way up through northern mass and NH, up into Portland Maine.  
My bother is a real estate broker outside of cambridge.  He does lots of rentals through out the area.  He also has two small kids, so he has done detailed school searching.  He might be able to give you some good intel.

I lived in Beverly/ Prides Crossing  for a year way back in the early 80's.

By the way, no income or sales tax in NH :D  Portsmouth NH is a 45 min drive from Logan Airport.
2009 Jetta TDI Loyal edition, 6-spd. 16V 2.0CR

1985 VW Golf 5-spd, 4-door, 1.6NA  Bought from orig. owner in Savannah with 42,000 miles.
"Making the jump NA to TD" slow but sure.

1980 VW Rabbit LS 5-spd, 4-door 1.6NA almost 450,000miles  RIP

Reply #6February 26, 2008, 03:07:45 pm

quietmission

• Junior

I am moving to Boston.
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 03:07:45 pm »
I am in Boston.  Cambridge is allright as it has a good ethnic mix and it's not too far from Boston.  It will be good for your commute as you can hop on the red line or catch the orange line to get right to Back Back.  I used to work in back bay for an investment company (right inside the copley/Prudential mall). One thing, there is no parking in back bay area unless you want to pay $30 a day for it.  Right now, i am still not too far from it about 10-15 minutes walk from it.
Subsonic is right as far as some school are bad.  It's due to lack of interest and investment in the public schools in the inner cities.  As far as the metal detectors, every school should have them these days since there are punks every where even in the good towns, etc...  Well, i am from an inner city "bad school so to say" and still make it to prestigious college and now i am making a decent living for my family.  That's another debate.  You just got to do some searching and you will find some decent ones.  

Well, I am along Hyde Park/Mattapan line.
"Let it keep on ticking"

Reply #7February 26, 2008, 03:30:23 pm

Ziptar

• Veteran

I am moving to Boston.
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 03:30:23 pm »
Thanks for the Info, I haven't moved there yet. I am leaving Florida tomorrow. Start my job Monday. We still haven't been able to nail down a house so, the wife and kids will stay behind a couple more weeks.

Not ideal but, less traumatic for the kids we think, I'll be staying with my sister in law in Newburyport until then. Long commute I know but, it's temporary. Heck no worries I had been commuting 200 miles a day and that was with me driving, train ride will be welcomed. :lol:

I know what you mean about the parking, saw that when I was up there. It's the T for me for sure...

We have moved the search out a bit, I couldn't get the wife to go for Cambridge and the like. We are looking at Metro West, Acton, Concord, Lexington and etc.

Reply #8February 26, 2008, 04:24:08 pm

quietmission

• Junior

I am moving to Boston.
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 04:24:08 pm »
As long as you stay in a town where the commuter rail pass through, you will be fine.  A lot of my co-workers live outside of the city and commute 40 minutes to an hour every day.  The neat thing is that Back Bay station is a big commuter rail station where you can actually take the train there to go in many different areas.  Not too far is the main Station which is South Station (all directions from there).

As for the wife staying behind, my current CFO right now is from Florida and he is in the same situation as you are.  He was working at Disney World and he has been with my company for over 6 months now.  His wife still refuses to come live in Boston.  The weather is not coorporating either.  
If you are thinking about buying a house, right now will be a good time once you are settled in.  Prices have dropped considerably and the interest rate is attractive as well.

Well, good luck.
"Let it keep on ticking"

Reply #9March 05, 2008, 05:32:40 am

Ziptar

• Veteran

I am moving to Boston.
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 05:32:40 am »
Well, I am here..
Got here last Friday and started the new job Monday. I am staying in Newburyport with my sister in law for now.

Need to find a place and the wife and kids should be up in 2-3 weeks.

I would up not driving the 91 Jetta up, I drove the 03. Decided not a good idea with the ill fitting local parts and taped hoses.

The 03 was none too happy about being in the cold, it was in the teens and 20's Friday and Saturday and boy did she complain allot. Rough starting and idle and the fuel was gelling.

I threw in some new glow plugs, fuel filter, air filter, coolant, and some PS Diesel 911 and she is doing much better now. Poor Thing, been in Florida all her life and never saw below 40F.  :D

I hardly drive it now though, just to the train station and back.

Reply #10March 13, 2008, 11:12:06 pm

themaSk

I am moving to Boston.
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 11:12:06 pm »
I'm down way south, near cape cod in New Bedford... You'll probably see me around best around UMass Dartmouth and just typically around New Bedford/Dartmouth.. and in the warmer months, Fall River..

Lots of VW Heads down south.. not a lot of diesel guys though  :roll:
'91 Jetta GL Turbo Diesel