Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: caddy diesel titled (converted to gas) upstate ny - $1500  (Read 3403 times)

January 18, 2008, 10:54:29 am

fuslit

• Junior

caddy diesel titled (converted to gas) upstate ny - $1500
« on: January 18, 2008, 10:54:29 am »
Trying to be as 'non-objective' as possible here. What we have is a Diesel titled car, swapped over to (supposedly gti) cis gas engine with diesel tranny. I had planned on putting in a diesel motor so it didn't matter that much to me. The engine runs strong. The car is registered and on the road.

I will be keeping the bbs rims (spoken for) and current steering wheel (I like it) that are in this.  So, it'll be on 13” steel rims with tires that will most likely need replacing. (haven't looked at them in quite some time) They're not completely shot but I'm not sure how much life is left. I’ll try to swap them on and take some newer pics of it this weekend.

Its not rust free (I suck at taking pics that show it) Trust me there's rust... but runs and drives well.

The good?
- gas engine?
- Full poly mounts (both good and bad) good because the thing handles like a go-kart
- diesel title
- runs, drives, is inspected and on the road
- new rear shocks
- gas tank has been por-15 coated no leaks and the fuel gauge works!
- new tank straps made (not perfect, but much better than what was there)
- replaced rear brake lines from the rear of the cab back
- new fuel filter
- solid strut towers and floor pans
- gti center console with working gauges
- straight tail gate
- new battery when I got it
- new alternator
- ac deleted

the bad...
Rust: in bed, around rockers, door corners, and A pillar
- front springs/shocks probably should be looked at
- front headlight does not stay adjusted (needs new surround I have one lined up)
- grill is busted, I have one lined up (I think)
- Its got full poly mounts. Bad because it's loud (if you have never rode in a mk1 with full poly mounts, trust me... it's loud)
- muffler had a hole in it I put that 'epoxy putty' in it and sealed that bad boy right up. (doesn't really matter the poly mounts negate the muffler quite nicely...
- Cis system is bastardized its missing a good 1/2 of it I would say, so troubleshooting has been ... interesting to say the least, it idles high and I haven't been able to track down quite why this is the case.
- I'm sure there are more good/bad things I'm leaving out but I dont' recall off the top of my head...
- 1/4 tank and under on a hill depending on the size /length of the hill it'll stall on you cause the fuel 'outlet' is in the middle of the tank and the fuel is no longer there when on an angle.
- Brakes stick when first driving, haven't had time to see why. I planned on replacing the front calipers as the bleeder valves are broken off.
- shifter squeaks (most likely needs a rebuild kit) anyway, it doesn't effect shifting just makes loud noises so to speak.

My original 'plan' I guess was to install a turbo diesel motor into this. I was naive and bought it after just looking at the strut towers and floor pans which are solid... but I did it in the winter and there was snow up to the bottom of the rockers so I didn't look under the truck. Since the strut towers and floor pan appeared to be solid and it had a bed liner (now sold) that looked decent, I thought I had a decent body with minimal rust. I learned a lesson I guess. I got sidetracked with life and haven't gotten there yet.

It had a bed liner which I sold out of it because in my opinion it caused the rust issues in the bed which I'm starting to figure out how to take care of. I plan/planned on putting a rhino liner type bed-liner coating on it once the rust areas are fixed...

The reason I'm selling you ask?

Well it comes down to the fact that I'm tall, to tall to drive this long distances and not have a massive cramp in my leg later. If I was 1-2" shorter (I'm 6' 1" or so) I don't think I'd have any problem and it was only really bad after a trip out to NH (about a 5 hour drive)

The second reason is I want to do a toyota truck and slap a turbo diesel/tdi swap in. I want something 4x4 that I can drive in the winter and not feel guilty about. Something that has parts available for it. The fact is, Caddys are rare and MANY parts are NLA (license plate lights for example.) If you need anything from the cab back, your sol unless you have a donor vehicle or make it yourself.

I've got a na 1.6 diesel longblock motor that I was planning on tearing down to freshen up and put in, if your interested I can make a deal with you.

I know that it used to run (was in my first rabbit I had that I hit a cow with) but it had trouble starting in the winter (poor compression?) I pulled it and put in a long block I was young and didn’t know how to do engine work. Anyway, this motor has sat outside in a 3 sided shed since I pulled it and was exposed to the weather so it needs to be tore down and rebuilt.

Anyway, I am looking for 1500 for the car sans rims and steering wheel and head unit. If your interested in the diesel long block, I've got to look at it a bit closer to see what the deal is with it. I'll be selling that separate or building myself a diesel generator (another project to add to the que...)

If your interested in checking this out, shoot me a pm and we can work out a time to come check it out. You can test drive if the weather is nice and there is no snow. (as I say it's on the road.)

more pics here http://www.fuslit.org/photo_gallery/index.php?album=misc/car/caddy/ if you have some time to kill :)

For what it's worth, I've put alot of time into the car, I've been through every contact that was on the car, the p.o. of the car had the swap done at a shop and they half assed it in my opinion (didn't solder connections, twisted wires together, etc.) So i've gone through re-cut soldered and heatshrinked tubed their shoddy work.  When I got it, it wouldn't run. Now it seems to run pretty decent. I've tried to give as much information as I have on it, if you have questions feel free to ask.

parting thought:
I wouldn't hesitate to take this thing on a road trip (example, last year I drove it to NH with Cate riding shotgun to go to my cousin's wedding and I would have caught hell if it broke down and I missed it.)

As I said I’ll try to get the rims swapped and new pics taken this weekend. For now just imagine the truck on steel rims … and pm me for contact info.

-Todd

'81 rabbit 4dr 1.6TD [project]
'98 jetta tdi [daily]

Reply #1January 19, 2008, 08:48:11 am

fuslit

• Junior

caddy diesel titled (converted to gas) upstate ny - $1500
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 08:48:11 am »
Some examples of pics of of rust I found along the way

when I took the bed liner out:

pass side rocker

under the bed when I was replacing the gas tank

As I said this has rust, it's not the worst I"ve seen or driven but it's also not the best.

I'm trying to give as good of a representation as I can on the condition, let me know if you have specific questions.

-Todd
'81 rabbit 4dr 1.6TD [project]
'98 jetta tdi [daily]