S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: The time I smoked an M3  (Read 5592 times)

March 28, 2005, 03:19:08 pm

VWRacer

• Veteran

The time I smoked an M3
« on: March 28, 2005, 03:19:08 pm »
Yep, it happened right after I bought my wife her '02 Golf TDI. I was driving it to work one morning when a rough looking early (E30) M3 dive bombed me from the fast lane while exiting the freeway. I don't get driver rage, so just plugged into line behind the Bimmer. The exit in question is a 270-degree sweep that ends up 2 lanes wide at a traffic light, where we sat next to each other, first in line. And about a hundred meters ahead the two lanes merge, so someone was going have to blink. ;)

The lady blipped the throttle a couple of times without glancing at me, but I wasn't getting the hint. When the crossing light went yellow I floored the go-pedal and launched as hard as I could the instant the light turned green. She had her throttle blipping out of phase with the light so I got the jump on her. I lifted slightly and slammed second while she short shifted, I guess thinking the Bimmer would toast the diesel. No chance. I gained a clean car length and slid in front of here just as the lanes merged, and smiled all day long.

Now, before anybody waves the BS flag, I assure you that this story is true. Her car wasn't well-kept looking and wasn't new, so she may have had a tired motor and slipping clutch. She also got caught sleeping at the light and then compounded her error by short shifting. In any case, it is my proudest moment in a diesel. :D

Stan
C-Sports Racer

Reply #1March 28, 2005, 03:57:37 pm

Dr. Diesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

The time I smoked an M3
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 03:57:37 pm »
or... your car just might be faster.  :D
I repair, maintain and modify VW's and BMW's.
Good work done at affordable rates. Welding and fabricating, too.
Performance Diesel Injection's Super Pump: gotta have one!

Reply #2March 30, 2005, 10:31:56 am

MayorDJQ

• User+

The time I smoked an M3
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005, 10:31:56 am »
A TDI faster than an M3?  I don't think so...More likely she wasn't trying to race you.

Reply #3March 30, 2005, 10:38:23 am

VWRacer

• Veteran

The time I smoked an M3
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2005, 10:38:23 am »
I didn't suggest that my TID is faster than an M3. I merely related how I beat one in a short dash to a merge lane by timing my launch better than the Bimmer driver and by using all the power and RPMs available to me.

It pissed her off and made my day... :D ;)
Stan
C-Sports Racer

Reply #4March 30, 2005, 12:10:15 pm

Dr. Diesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

The time I smoked an M3
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2005, 12:10:15 pm »
some people just NEED to get stiffed. i love pissing them off! good show, stan!

Reply #5May 07, 2005, 08:51:46 am

wolf_walker

• Veteran

The time I smoked an M3
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2005, 08:51:46 am »
You most likely beat a 318 with some uglly body kit, or on the outside a 325E.  Or like the man said, she was not trying to race you at all.

My quarter million mile 90 325I eats up an 05 Jetta TDI, again, and again, and again.
Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become ignorant.
Mentat Text Two

Reply #6May 07, 2005, 10:05:38 am

Dr. Diesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

The time I smoked an M3
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2005, 10:05:38 am »
i don't think you two are getting the point here. :?

Reply #7May 07, 2005, 10:39:43 am

wolf_walker

• Veteran

The time I smoked an M3
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2005, 10:39:43 am »
I miss the point pretty regular.

But in fairness to one of the finest sports cars BMW ever made, a stock diesel VW has never outrun one from a stoplight like that.  Ok great the driver was sleeping/car was ragged, then the point is moot.  I love a VW more than a BMW, haveing owned both, but one must give credit where credit is due.

My friend bought an old body style 05 Jetta TDI with a stick recently, only the second TDI I'd ever driven.  It's quick for what it is, and quiet and get great mileage.  He went on and on about how quick it was and how good it handled, till my 238K mile 325I made him feel like I do driveing my 568K miles 1.6D Caddy.  Fair is fair.
Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become ignorant.
Mentat Text Two

Reply #8May 07, 2005, 10:49:51 am

Dr. Diesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

The time I smoked an M3
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2005, 10:49:51 am »
The capability of the cars isn't the issue here. The car is nothing without the driver. The fact that an M3 is a faster car drives the point home even harder.
-She wanted to be first, he wanted to be first.
-She's got the faster car
-He still managed to get ahead.

That's the point of such competition. He denied her.  
It doesn't matter how.
Let's focus on the point, and not turn this forum into a ***yard like streetracing.org or whoretex.
Aren't you glad that he denied her? Or, do you wish that he'd lost?

The only thing that can be said here, is WAY TO GO STAN!

Reply #9May 07, 2005, 11:25:00 am

wolf_walker

• Veteran

The time I smoked an M3
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2005, 11:25:00 am »
I don't think I care anyway.  Your looking at it from a human point of view, there a variable, the constant is the car, my focus.  I read something like that and all I see are the parts about the cars themselves.
I jumped a new mustang off the line today (for about 6 feet) in my pickup, big deal.  It's a basic example of personality, I don't care about people, it's the machine.  Always the machine.

I do see what your saying if you stick it in my face clearly, but it's just not the way it presents itself to me, you know?
Mentat Text Two

Reply #10May 08, 2005, 12:19:41 am

VWRacer

• Veteran

The time I smoked an M3
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2005, 12:19:41 am »
Wolf_walker, I agree with everything you said...except the part where you said you don't believe it happened that way. The truth is that it did, and I had fun doing it. :)

But please don't think that I believe a TDI is faster than even a clapped out M3. As you say, it isn't, plain and simple, and I made it clear that I understand that. In my case I beat one in a short dash by taking advantage of an inattentive driver who failed to use the tools at her disposal.

Hey, even a blind squirrel finds and acorn now and then!  :wink:

Cheers!
Stan
C-Sports Racer

Fixmyvw.com