Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Leaky transaxles  (Read 4182 times)

March 27, 2005, 08:37:12 pm

fillmore

• Junior

• http://fillmorenorthband.tripod.com
Leaky transaxles
« on: March 27, 2005, 08:37:12 pm »
hey guys heres whats up. I have a 89 diesel golf and my trans bearings are bad so this is causing my trans to leak alot of oil around the seals. i am eventually going to swap in another used tranny but dont have the money right now. is there any kind of  temporary fix for this problem or am i screwed untill i get a new tran. my stepmom doesnt like my parking in her driveway because i always leave a puddle of oil behind :( , not to mention the terrible smell of the oil splashing on my exsaust while im driving :x
ps: is there a more durable aftermaket seal i can buy?

Reply #1March 28, 2005, 06:44:20 am

Patrick

• Veteran

Leaky transaxles
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 06:44:20 am »
You could try to take an old seal and the stub it rides on to a bearing shop. they may have a triple lip seal available, and/or a sleeve to put ove the worn spot that you probably have on the stub.

You need the old seal to get a good measurement on the OD of the seal, a measurement of the ID of the hole it goes in would be better, but you don't want to take the tranny in with you! :wink:  The stub will let them measure for the ID of the seal.

Good luck!

Anyone know if he can chage the offending bearing (bushing?) without pulling everything apart?