Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: 1.6na to Turbo, and yes I searched first!  (Read 1773 times)

January 09, 2008, 09:12:47 am

billharrison

1.6na to Turbo, and yes I searched first!
« on: January 09, 2008, 09:12:47 am »
Hi all, spent a few hours last night reading up on here, and found basically the following:

I have a 1982 1.6na diesel rabbit.  It does surprisingly well, but struggles on the freeway at over 60 (I am sure we all know that ;)).

Odometer shows 256,000 miles, I believe the engine is NOT original, I know the trans is not, it appears to have a gas 5 speed trans installed, using a homemade bracket?  I was not aware the Gas trans and diesel trans were so different, but they made a bracket to mount the passenger end of the trans.  

Anyways, I digress.  I spent the first week of ownership systematically blowing, then replacing each of the coolant lines in the car.  Now she runs perfect, no coolant leaks, and the temp guage stays almost exactly half, give or take a hair.  

Starts fine, so far down to 6 degrees, although it was not particularly happy about it, making quite a racket!

So there are the basics.  

Now, I want to bump horsepower somewhere in the 125-150 range.  Obviously only way to do this is with a turbo.  The easiest option to me seems to pickup the stock turbo setup on a 1.6, which I have found on various for sale sites in the 300-500 range for everything.  I have read on here that doing the IP is optional, although I am having a hard time figuring out how that is so as there is no provision for boost fueling (I have had several turbo gas cars and do understand most of that well).

So basically, my understanding is, swap manifolds (Question 1, is the intake the same for turbo and non turbo?), install turbo and associated ducting, find some way to hook up factory exhaust?  Drive.

Seems simple, what are the limitations (I have read an EGT is a must, and not to exceed 1300 degrees F) but what does that translate into horsepower?  I know the "Stock" 1.6 TD should have 75ish horsepower, would I be able to get what I am looking for out of this combo with some extra fuel and boost?

PS, this is all talk now, I have bought nothing yet, I dont feel like "Super Modifying" this thing as I have gone down that road on several cars and while fun, usually $$$$$ and not super reliable.  I got my first liter bike last spring, and I can say that thoroughly quenches my need for extreme speed.  I just want a car that I can merge into traffic without being smashed by the trailing hummer!

Reply #1January 09, 2008, 09:26:20 am

jimfoo

• Veteran

• http://www.66rover.com
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 09:26:20 am »
http://vwdiesel.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=3576&highlight=6na+turbo
is just one of the threads. The search is a bit hard to use, but try 1.6na turbo with the all words option picked. I don't think 1.6 na works as it is too short as a 3 letter word and a 2 letter word.
Jim
1966 Land-Rover 88" with 1.9 1Z which has been transformed to an M-TDI
TFO35 mechanically controlled VNT, IC , and 2.5" exhaust.
Driven daily

Reply #2January 09, 2008, 12:10:52 pm

Vincent Waldon

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• My collection of HOWTOs
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 12:10:52 pm »
If you're interested in the back story, here's a SAE paper written by two of the VW engineers on the "build a turbo diesel version" project:

http://vincewaldon.com/images/documents/td_vw_engine_brandsetter_dziggel.pdf

It's got some good information on all the subtle and not-too-subtle differences between the NA and the Turbo engines.

My personal opinion:  you are taking a 52hp design and asking it to triple its output while maintaining good reliability... worth planning carefully for sure.

Vince
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3, 1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Fixmyvw.com