Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Trying to find Mk2Fanatic  (Read 17733 times)

December 31, 2007, 03:36:10 pm

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

Trying to find Mk2Fanatic
« on: December 31, 2007, 03:36:10 pm »
Just trying to locate Sylvester, or  "Mk2Fanatic" here on the forums. I had bought some stuff from him and was just wondering about its status and whether I could get a tracking number for it. The last time I heard from him was on 12/14/07 here and now its the 31st.
I'm not upset in anyway, just trying to make contact or find out/make sure everything is ok and find out when my parts shall arrive (though I know they can take a while in customs). Anyone have a closer connection with him?

Was going to post in "General" but thought I'd try here...

Joe

1979 Rabbit mTDI crazy $*(\%& bunny...
1972 VW Westfalia
2009 VW Tiguan SE 2.0T (Wife's car)
2001 Audi TT 225 Quattro Roadster (something newer :) )

Reply #1December 31, 2007, 05:09:10 pm

blkboostedtruck

• Veteran

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 05:09:10 pm »
your not the only one Joe!
http://vwdiesel.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=11709
sylvester was also suposed to come down and trade me a 1.9TD motor for one of my caddys in witch never materalized but no harm done with me! he never made it down!
i used to have his contact #'s but i accadently deleted my save box once!
well good luck?
thanks Duane
injector rebuilds call  414-840-1395 for faster service not on line much!
'66 variant 1500S
'81 2dr n/a 1.6 diesel rabbit 8"lift 260K R.I.P.
'81 caddy gas 1.8 turbo/stroker W/N.O.S.
'81 caddy 1.9 turbo diesel
'82 caddy gas 1.8 G60
 3 jettas '82' '04 '14TDI
+1 rabbit,03 HD sc.eag. duece,46,&5

Reply #2December 31, 2007, 05:25:46 pm

Vincent Waldon

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• My collection of HOWTOs
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 05:25:46 pm »
I believe his phone number is in the middle of this thread, the last time some people (including myself) were trying to track him down:

http://www.vwdiesel.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=10962&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=sylvester&start=15
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3, 1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Reply #3December 31, 2007, 05:28:20 pm

rallydiesel

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 05:28:20 pm »
I would avoid dealing with him. I bought a part from him and never received it and it took 2 months to finally get my money back. I don't think he is a scammer but he definitely doesn't have his act together for whatever reason.
2006 Jetta TDI - gtb1749v, Malone 2, Frank's Titan 2 cam, VR6 clutch....
1991 Jetta TD - sold :(
2001 Golf TDI - Son's
1981 Rabbit - BEW tdi swap project

"ONCE YOU GO CLACK, YOU NEVER GO BACK"

Reply #4December 31, 2007, 06:29:43 pm

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 06:29:43 pm »
That is dishearting...and I hope it isn't the case as I sent a fair amount of cash to get some b3 AAZ speific parts to help with the conversion of my b3 variant to mTDI this spring.
I did look through the thread, found the telephone number. I did a reverse trace on the number through whitepages and it does come up as a Windsor based Ontario phone number...so it must be it.

Left a message....first attempt. I'm trying to be optimistic here but after reading a few of the comments in this thread and the other one referenced...I'm getting a bit worried.

I hope it all works out. Grr... as a seller I always try to maintain good communication with those who I am working with because I know how it feels when it happens to me. I'm happy to say, it hasn't happened that much, but really stinks when it does. Also...it'd be the first time ever on here... (usually only happens on the vortex).

Joe
1972 VW Westfalia

Reply #5January 01, 2008, 11:18:13 am

subsonic

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 11:18:13 am »
You know,
 I once bought a compound bow off someone on e-bay.  The guy lived in the northern half of my state.  I waited almost a month.  I sent e-mails, called etc.. no luck :x .  I finally gathered all of my coresepondence that I had from him, everything, including the dates of all my contacts, the dates of all my phone calls, cancled check etc.. and contacted the local police dept in his home town.  I spoke to a detective and explained the situation.  I emailed everything I had up to him.  I explained that I would appreciate it if he could make a unofficial visit to the sellors residence and just ask about the item.
Just to get both sides of the story :wink:

I also explained that it was about $400 of my money, and that for that much cash it was worth one of my days off to drive up, find this guy and settle it right there on his doorstep or his place of employment :evil: .  I explained that Of course I did not want to do this if it could be avoided.

No threats, just a simple statement that I would be collecting my item plus shipping costs plus gas money, or my money and all recovery costs back.  I was not looking for any problems, just fair resolution to the problem that was occuring in his town

I suggested that if the officer had any spare time in the coming week, that his unofficial inquirery might prevent potential future problems in his town.

I thanked him for his time and told him that i would hold off on my trip pending his evaluation of the situation.

I got a call a few days later from the Det.  He informed me that the individual presented himself as a untrustworthy, and doing the song and dance.  When shown the information I had sent up, he acknowledged the sale and promised the officer it would be handled in the next few days.
The Det. asked that I call him when the item arrived.  See, now the guy would have been lying to the police if he did not follow through, big difference. He would have had "The Man" on his ass.
 I got my item about 4 days later.
 I called and thanked the Officer for the manor in which he handled the situation.   Done deal.

Perhaps some of this may apply to the various situations that appear to be happening.

Just a suggestion
Jim
2009 Jetta TDI Loyal edition, 6-spd. 16V 2.0CR

1985 VW Golf 5-spd, 4-door, 1.6NA  Bought from orig. owner in Savannah with 42,000 miles.
"Making the jump NA to TD" slow but sure.

1980 VW Rabbit LS 5-spd, 4-door 1.6NA almost 450,000miles  RIP

Reply #6January 01, 2008, 07:53:23 pm

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 07:53:23 pm »
That may be a consideration if I have any future problems.

I left a message with Sylvester yesterday....had an email here today. Supposedly I was sent an email on the 21st stating that he still hadn't shipped... but that they would be shipped by the weekend....as of today, they still haven't shipped. I also never received that email from him and went back, checked with my ISP as well as any messages I received that day and I had no issues with my account. So, i'm not sure what to think.

Its disheartening, as I said before. Here it is that I thought my parts should be here any day so I can make some progress on some things before break is up and thats not going to happen.....to find out, even worse...they haven't even shipped yet and they were supposed to sometime back on the 14th. Its not nearly as long as some have waited...that I know. I also understand busy and how things come up...however, as a seller myself (and one with no probs to boot), I come up in situations that may delay me a few days, sickness, meetings, busy life, grad. school classes and a full-time job but I still try to hold up my end for the customer on the other end. Guess the lack of communication and assuming that I got a message (that I didn't, and we've had probs with his email account prior to this) and the fact that my parts weren't even "all together, packed and ready to go" as had been previously mentioned really burns me.

I just want the parts and/or my money back. I'm waiting til Thurs. for a GOOD tracking number and shipment confirmation or I will be filing with Paypal's dispute resolution center...

I'm glad I posted though....its just a pretty bad feeling.

Joe
1972 VW Westfalia

Reply #7January 01, 2008, 08:36:01 pm

bigblockchev

• Veteran

Unreliable sellers
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 08:36:01 pm »
I hate it when something like this pops up. I have always had a 100% rock solid feel for any of the people that I have dealt with on this board. I used to sell used BMW motorcycle parts in the 80s , in all the 15 or so years I did it I never once got stiffed. I would send stuff out to guys in desparate need with no security at all. I would spend hours on the phone troubleshooting with guys only to talk them out of buying something from me. Former customers still call 15yrs later. It was a good feeling to deal with solid people so it bugs me to have uncertainty creep into this community. Thoughtfully hoping this will be sorted out and be avoided in the future. Cheers and happy New year to all, Dan
it's always something simple
one test is worth a thousand guesses
95 Chev Suburban 6.5 w performance mods
91 Mercedes 300D 603.960 6cyl 3L
87 Mercedes 190D 2.5 Turbo
2000 Jetta TDI
76 Onan  MDJF 15Kw genset
5.5 years and counting on B100

Reply #8January 01, 2008, 09:00:19 pm

fuslit

• Junior

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2008, 09:00:19 pm »
Thats a bummer Joe,

As people have mentioned, it only takes one person and it could turn you sour on the whole trust people aspect. Hopefully things work out for the best and you get your parts, it's frustrating to think that you're search for something is ended and your waiting on it to find out there is a wrinkle in the transaction.

All the people I've delt with in vw parts have always come through (at some point... I've been on a 'cullen group buy' on the vortex...) Needless to say, I haven't reached the 'don't trust anyone' mantra but now I do try to use my credit card on anything I don't feel like taking a bath on.

Sucks to be held up in a project though Good luck resolving it!

-Todd
'81 rabbit 4dr 1.6TD [project]
'98 jetta tdi [daily]

Reply #9January 01, 2008, 09:02:01 pm

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2008, 09:02:01 pm »
I'm all about the fair resolution and giving a chance at the moment...we'll see how it goes...

I appreciate the comments!

Joe
1972 VW Westfalia

Reply #10January 03, 2008, 12:25:30 pm

95gltd

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 12:25:30 pm »
i'm the guy Sylvester tried to screw on the injection pump. He left me his # and said if i didn't get it by such a date to call him. I called 3 or 4 times no answer left voicemails with callback #'s nothing.

Little does he know i paid with a cc and Mastercard is doing a chargeback.

If he tries to send it i will not acceot it as i told the guy my car was down and needed it asap.

Don't wait on him just call your Credit card company.

Reply #11January 03, 2008, 02:22:51 pm

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 02:22:51 pm »
I opened a case with paypal today in the dispute console...and since I did it through their service, I'll at least be covered there.
From there, and if I need to...it'll be going through paypal and GE (credit services) with whom holds their buyer credit program to get a refund/charge back if need be.

I'm going to go ahead and let the mods know.

Joe
1972 VW Westfalia

Reply #12January 03, 2008, 05:20:26 pm

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2008, 05:20:26 pm »
A development...side by side with the other thread, but it doesn't hurt ot keep things updated.  Slyvester did take the time to contact me just now (via phone) and provided me with a Canadapost tnumber and is going to be forwarding on the tracking number and a picture of the invoice as well (via email). Supposedly the package has gone out today and will arrive within 7-10 days. So again...I don't want to drag anyones name through the mud...just try and find positive resolution (and/or restititution if the situation called for it).

Joe
1972 VW Westfalia

Reply #13January 03, 2008, 10:42:15 pm

95gltd

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2008, 10:42:15 pm »
Quote from: "RabbitGTDguy"
A development...side by side with the other thread, but it doesn't hurt ot keep things updated.  Slyvester did take the time to contact me just now (via phone) and provided me with a Canadapost tnumber and is going to be forwarding on the tracking number and a picture of the invoice as well (via email). Supposedly the package has gone out today and will arrive within 7-10 days. So again...I don't want to drag anyones name through the mud...just try and find positive resolution (and/or restititution if the situation called for it).

Joe

he knows you filed a paypal claim, so he is probably just saying this 7-10 days stuff cause he would need that amount of time  to transfer the money out of his paypal account to bank account. When doing this threw paypal it is a 6-9 day wait.

With all the shady tricks he has pulled i would bet thats what he is doing.

Reply #14January 09, 2008, 07:43:31 pm

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2008, 07:43:31 pm »
Well, this situation just keeps getting more interesting. On the Thursday that I requested Slyvester, AKA mk2fanatic to have "SENT" my package to me and provide me with a tracking number, I indeed did receive a "tracking number" with the following pictures of the "shipping invoice" the next day.

HOWEVER, I have tried for the last 5 days to utilize the tracking number in the canadapost.ca system and/or through USPS and it comes up as "NOT FOUND" in their system.

Sylvester's picture to me is pretty crappy and blurry as well. However, looking closely at it and trying to sharpen things up a bit...to be honest this just looks like the SHIPPING INVOICE itself, that he filled out...however, up in the upper right hand corner where the postmaster would fill out the pertainent information, this is not filled in! Does anyone else see and/or can confirm this? Especially those that are in Canada and that use canadapost.ca for shipping purposes. This really pisses me off if that is the case and the items haven't even shipped yet. I contacted USPS myself and Canadapost.ca inquiring about "why" the tnumber wouldn't work. They said that if the package has indeed been sent, that the tracking number activates within 24hrs-48hrs at the VERY MOST. They said it sounds like the seller (Mk2Fanatic) still has not sent.

I have been keeping track of things and posting to my dispute that I opened at paypal...as well as reflecting that the tracking number is NO GOOD at the moment and is not coming up in the system. If the items haven't been sent, or are just "being" sent, I'm going to request partial refund, especially of my shipping for legitmate reasons. This just burns me...can anyone look at the pic though here? I don't want to overeact...but I don't see any OFFICIAL markings at all on this...

Joe
1972 VW Westfalia

S-PAutomotive.com