Author Topic: 1989 caddy diesel running problem  (Read 3458 times)

December 29, 2007, 11:01:36 am

badersbus

1989 caddy diesel running problem
« on: December 29, 2007, 11:01:36 am »
Hi Everyone. I am a newbie to the site , and was hoping some of you guys could help with a problem.
My son has bought a 1989 1.6 diesel caddy non turbo, that is not running very well. Apparently the vehicle has been run before on veggy oil , and has also been stood for a while. I have removed the fuel filter that was bunged up with crud and cleaned the fuel line out down to the pump. I have replaced the filter with a new one, filled it with diesel , and filled the pipe allway down to pump , but the engine will not run. I have cracked the injectors off ,and bled them so fuel comes out , but still no joy.
The car will fire and run for a couple of seconds , but dies soon after when idleing or when you try to rev it . smoke out of the rear is white/grey  :?:
When he got the truck it did run , but not very well , but now wont run at all  :evil:
Any ideas out there ???????
Thanks in advance
Kirk

Reply #1December 29, 2007, 11:41:07 am

jimfoo

• Veteran

• http://www.66rover.com
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 11:41:07 am »
I'd say rebuild the injectors or get new ones first as if they let the veggie oil sit in it , they could be gummed up like some TDI injectors I bought used. After you know the injectors are good, make sure all the glowplugs are good and are getting power during starting. If it still doesn't run great, check the timing, though you probably should anyway. You might want to check the compression as well. Also if you don't know when the timing belt was last changed, that should be done along with a new tensioner as if it breaks, it will ruin the engine. Also if you put your location in your profile, someone local might be able to help you.
Jim
1966 Land-Rover 88" with 1.9 1Z which has been transformed to an M-TDI
TFO35 mechanically controlled VNT, IC , and 2.5" exhaust.
Driven daily

Reply #2December 29, 2007, 12:01:11 pm

badersbus

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 12:01:11 pm »
Thanks Jimfoo , i think a compression test would be in order first , to see how things are with that , i am right on thinking they should be in the region of 350 psi or above?.
If these are down , not sure if it is worth spending any more on the engine , what do you think
vehicle has done 120k miles
Cheers Kirk

Reply #3December 29, 2007, 12:13:50 pm

jimfoo

• Veteran

• http://www.66rover.com
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 12:13:50 pm »
Quote from: "badersbus"
Thanks Jimfoo , i think a compression test would be in order first , to see how things are with that , i am right on thinking they should be in the region of 350 psi or above?.
If these are down , not sure if it is worth spending any more on the engine , what do you think
vehicle has done 120k miles
Cheers Kirk

350 more or less. I would think with 120k, there shouldn't be that much wear on the rings yet. As far as if it's worth it do do rings, it depends on what you could get another engine/car for as they are more plentiful over there. Over here it would be much cheaper to replace rings. You should at least have the injectors checked and make sure the glowplugs work though.
Jim
1966 Land-Rover 88" with 1.9 1Z which has been transformed to an M-TDI
TFO35 mechanically controlled VNT, IC , and 2.5" exhaust.
Driven daily

Reply #4December 29, 2007, 01:44:53 pm

badersbus

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 01:44:53 pm »
Thanks Jim.
I am going to drop an inector out tommorrow , to have al ook at one , i expect it may be all gunked up , should they look clean and healthy , long time since i looked at an injector , maybe 20 years ago when i was an apprentice.
Thanks for your help on this one mate , if engine is kaput , i may be able to get a 100kmiler for £150 ( $300 )
Cheers Kirk

Fixmyvw.com