Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Will a transverse 1.6TD bolt right up to a Fox or 4000 trans  (Read 4417 times)

December 16, 2007, 05:55:31 pm

914turboford

Will a transverse 1.6TD bolt right up to a Fox or 4000 trans
« on: December 16, 2007, 05:55:31 pm »
I'm still in the parts gathering stage of building my single seater mid engine diesel commuter. At first I was thinking I'd go transverse but I am now considering going inline with a Fox, quantum or 4000 trans. Are these stouter than the transverse units? I would prefer the clutch setup with the T drive transmisions. Wil a T drive FW bolt to my crank? I want the tallest gears I can get because I'm only going to weigh about 1300 lbs. Do I have taller gear options with the T drive vs. transverse?

Reply #1December 16, 2007, 06:01:01 pm

vanagonturbo

• Veteran

• Fine Tuning
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 06:01:01 pm »
t-drive? wtf is that?

The inline transmissions are seriously made of fail. They are way less reliable than transverse units. Yes, all transverse engines will bolt to an inline trans.

Reply #2December 16, 2007, 06:31:52 pm

Turbinepowered

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 06:31:52 pm »
Quote from: "vanagonturbo"
t-drive? wtf is that?

The inline transmissions are seriously made of fail. They are way less reliable than transverse units. Yes, all transverse engines will bolt to an inline trans.

Got a source for that statement, that they are "way less reliable" than the transverse units?

Just wonderin, 'cause I haven't seen any large number of failure posts for either variety, transverse or longitudinal. Or many failure posts at all, for that matter.

Reply #3December 16, 2007, 07:41:01 pm

914turboford

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 07:41:01 pm »
Quote from: "vanagonturbo"
t-drive? wtf is that?

In the world of diesel pusher (or gas pushers, for that matter) there are v drives and t drives. A t drive is when the engine crankshaft is perpindicular to the drive axle, forming a "T". I thought it would be descriptive enough but I guess not.

Got a source for that statement, that they are "way less reliable" than the transverse units?

Just wonderin, 'cause I haven't seen any large number of failure posts for either variety, transverse or longitudinal. Or many failure posts at all, for that matter.

Some guy told me the transverse clutches don't hold up that well. Any truth to that?

Reply #4December 16, 2007, 08:00:02 pm

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 08:00:02 pm »
Hmm is a 'T'drive the plan view of an inline? Which makes a Rabbit style an 'h' drive :shock:

Don't know where that inline weakness rubbish statement comes from... Never had a Quantum g/b fail. Never get those symptoms of crunching 2nd if entering too fast. Like wot granny's GTD does and many others from what Ive heard.

Are you dropping all the Audi 4000 stuff into the cesspool of mediocracy?? Will you find a toilet bowl on a Quantum?
I did once hear of automatics being a little tempermental but then in the UK automatics were mainly used for invalids.
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee: drive a Quantum TD
 ...The best work-horse after the cart...

Reply #5December 16, 2007, 08:09:29 pm

vanagonturbo

• Veteran

• Fine Tuning
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 08:09:29 pm »
[quote="Turbinepowered

Just wonderin, 'cause I haven't seen any large number of failure posts for either variety, transverse or longitudinal. Or many failure posts at all, for that matter.[/quote]

Well 13 years of working on these thing tells me that they are a lot less reliable under normal operating conditions. I would say that 90% of transverse failure is due to abuse. inline transaxles have to transfer the power 90 degrees which adds more stress to the components. Think about the design of the transverse vs. the inline. The other factor to consider is driver age/driving conditions that most inline trannys are exposed to vs. inline. GTI Dasher? I dont think so.

The other thing to consider in the discussion is how many inline mounted cars vs. transverse cars were sold/purchased? Quite a few more of the transverse than the inline. So by reason, we need to understand that failure complaints might be a fair amount less with the inline vs. the transverse.

Something to think about here.

Reply #6December 16, 2007, 09:17:48 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 09:17:48 pm »
check the fox forum on vw vortex theres info on there
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #7December 16, 2007, 09:19:38 pm

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2007, 09:19:38 pm »
I have been driving nothing but Quantae for some 15 years now. I definitely don't drive as harshly as I used to. I agree they tend not to be set up like a GTI. Having said that my first one a 1.6 Santana sedan had a manual twin choke Webber attached and [maybe] a different cam. Either way I drove it somewhat harshly and it never let me down. I still find myself going over 90mph on occasion. There is of course a weight advantage for the Golf /Rabbit so that's like carrying a meaty 5th passanger; so if what you say is true that may be a factor.
Is the pinion and diff on a Golf stronger than one on an inline?.Not sure on that one...
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

Reply #8December 16, 2007, 10:04:22 pm

Vanagoner

• Junior

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2007, 10:04:22 pm »
I have owned two quantums and two vanagons.  One of each was a syncro.  Both of the quantums  seemed bulletproof, both engine and trans.  Had a 3-4 syncronizer fail on the Syncro vanagon, never seen so many cracked gears and fragged bearings.  My present (091 alpine) trans is a little sturdier- but wants to stick in gear, and is noisy and tired.  if the westy wasn't such a great rig, I would have given up on vanagon transaxle and engine idiocy long ago.  If I could turn around a quantum transaxle and put it in my vanagon, I would.  For that matter, If I could incline a transverse setup into my rig, I would.  Every vanagon from 80-91 had something wrong with the load application, engine or trans by design.  Good thing it is a hobby.  (ok, it's my daily driver too)
I'm done ranting now.
Sage
'82  Vanagon Westy, the mighty N/A

Reply #9December 17, 2007, 08:41:45 am

Vanagoner

• Junior

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 08:41:45 am »
Andrew, did the '80-83 air cooled 091's have the same slider hub issue, or was that a different unit?  I'm wondering how much work I should do on my replacement 4 speed before I put it in.
Sage

Reply #10December 17, 2007, 08:58:05 am

914turboford

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 08:58:05 am »
In my original post I asked a question that has yet to be answered. Is there a difference in strength or durability between the transverse and inline clutches?
Brian

Reply #11December 17, 2007, 02:20:45 pm

Vanagoner

• Junior

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 02:20:45 pm »
Thanks, Andrew- I had no idea.  I'll plan on rebuilding it to replace that.  Enjoy that 5 speed- rare.
Sage

Reply #12December 17, 2007, 03:16:54 pm

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2007, 03:16:54 pm »
Quote from: "914turboford"
In my original post I asked a question that has yet to be answered. Is there a difference in strength or durability between the transverse and inline clutches?
Brian

Huh you mean I've been defending the good name of theinline gearbox for nothing :wink:
Here's a reminder of what you actually said...I'm still in the parts gathering stage of building my single seater mid engine diesel commuter. At first I was thinking I'd go transverse but I am now considering going inline with a Fox, quantum or 4000 trans. Are these stouter than the transverse units? I would prefer the clutch setup with the T drive transmisions. Wil a T drive FW bolt to my crank? I want the tallest gears I can get because I'm only going to weigh about 1300 lbs. Do I have taller gear options with the T drive vs. transverse?
Mark-The-Miser-UK

Reply #13December 17, 2007, 04:35:17 pm

Diesel Fumes

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2007, 04:35:17 pm »
This thread is of interest to me because I have an Audi 4000S Quattro sitting around that I'm not driving.  1.6TD bolted to this = diesel Quattro?

Its been a dream ever since I got my license to have a diesel Quattro.

Reply #14December 18, 2007, 10:50:51 am

VW Fox

• User+

• http://www.vwot.org/
Re: Will a transverse 1.6TD bolt right up to a Fox or 4000 t
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2007, 10:50:51 am »
As far as I know, the longitudinal manual transmissions are no weaker than the transverse ones.  The same goes for stock-spec clutches.

Your options for longitudinal transmissions are:
014 (4-speed): VW Dasher, Audi Fox, VW Fox
013 (5-speed): VW Quantum, Audi 4000, VW Fox
Shift linkages are totally different between 4- and 5-speeds.
Assuming you want a 5-speed, they all have a 4.111:1 final drive with the following 5th gears: 0.800, 0.730, 0.684, 0.600.

Yes, a 1.6TD will bolt up to a longitudinal transmission (VW Quantums and Audi 4000s were available in this configuration from the factory).  To use a 4-cylinder engine (the 5-cylinders have a different bellhousing) with an 014 or 013 you need the flywheel, clutch and pressure plate from any of the cars listed above, and to install a pilot bearing into the crankshaft (they all have a place for it).
1993 VW Passat (AAZ)
1992 VW Fox 8v (gasoline)
1980 VW Dasher 1.6TD (CY)

Fixmyvw.com