Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: 4" Monsoon Radio - Integrate Aux input instead of casse  (Read 3929 times)

November 29, 2007, 07:14:27 pm

westbeach

4" Monsoon Radio - Integrate Aux input instead of casse
« on: November 29, 2007, 07:14:27 pm »
I'm thinking of ripping into the factory Monsoon radio in my Jetta. I want to splice in a connection for my Ipod WITHOUT buying an aux input adapter. I don't have cd changer in the trunk.

I am wondering if anyone has spliced into the stereo to replace, say the cassette option with an aux input. I mean where you press the cassette button on the stereo, and it plays your ipod instead. Or if anyone knows that it won't work, or has any tips... all is greatly appreciated.

and I DON'T want to buy an adapter... I just want to splice some wires in...
Thanks.

2002 Jetta TDI

Reply #1January 09, 2008, 05:00:12 pm

MattRabbit

• User+

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 05:00:12 pm »
I know you don't want an adapter, but the easiest way to do what you're trying is to get the Blitzsafe adapter.  They're around $70, and plug into the CD-Changer port.  I added one to my Golf, and now I never use the CD player.  The nice thing about the Blitzsafe, is I'm able to keep my in-dash CD player and have the ipod.  I can play tapes, CDs, or MP3s.

As far as making something work, I bet you could create an aux input via the CD control, but I'd have no idea how to do it.  Good luck with that.
'81 Rabbit Diesel
'01 Golf TDI
http://matt_lisa.home.sprynet.com/

Reply #2January 30, 2008, 07:48:19 am

Redrum Rabbit

• User+

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 07:48:19 am »
I'll be looking into this in the next little bit as well I have a fair bit of crime in the hood and want a stealthy stock look and still use an Ipod.  I have a tape deck in the passat.
let's keep the thread alive and see if we have tips from eachothers work.
Eric
84 rabbit na and a 95 passat td wagon
Cummins 6bt swap into my 73 triple  E motorhome(a project underway...)

Reply #3January 30, 2008, 09:18:05 am

DCC

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 09:18:05 am »
I succesfully added an audio jack to an old radio cassette, and it was a piece of cake. I opened it and welded the jack to the audio cables from the radio tuner (it was easy, there was the radio tuner module, the cassette module, and the sound amplifier module, so they were easy to track), then added a small switch which is used to open the circuit (ground) BEFORE the welding, so you can silent the radio signal.

All those cables were passed through the dashboard, a hole was drilled in the glove compt. and I put a tiny switch and the audio jack (3.5 mm). It works fine, did it years ago and still works fine, plus it is stealthy. (It's an old Ford Orion with the factory radio).

Sorry for the paint schema, done in a couple minutes, but I think it's enough to get the point.

Fixmyvw.com