Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Need final help with Turbo choice - just need re-assurance.  (Read 5558 times)

May 30, 2004, 09:31:56 am

DieselMonkey

• Junior

Guys,

OK you will all probably remember my posts about my turbo / intercooler conversion on my mkIII Golf, 1.9L D.

I wont need any more help with the fuel system. I have got the 1.9L pump with fuel enrichment valve and can simply swap the valve to a 1.6 one or as i have been told, simply modify my own by machining off a portion on the lathe. I will need to look into this when i compare the 2 items.

But lastly, just to re-assure me on the whole issue. The turbo i have is the standard 1.9TD.... KKK - K03. I know this is a 'low pressure turbo' as described by VW themselves but i was reading some posts on this forum yest. and there is a lot of confusing and conflicting information.

Heres my plans. The car will come off the road in Aug / Sept to begin the conversion. Right now i'm looking for a mk II to replace the mkIII as an everyday driver. Once the conversion is complete, it will only be driven occasionally and taken to shows etc... So i'm not looking for massive all out power from my converison, just an impressive looking conversion thats had plenty of work done. I have access to a lot of 316 grade Stainless pipe, all sizes from 35 mm up (inc. 53 mm for intercooler pipes).  

1) My question is about the turbo and that conflicting info i was talking about. Should i have my turbo simply re-conned to standard K03 spec, or should i have it re-manufactured to a hybrid with higher performance intake side and ball bearing system. I really need advice on this cause i want it to be a real nice job. There isnt a lot of difference in price between the standard and hybrid turbo work. Please remember that there will be an intercooler and all the pipework between turbo and inlet manifold which will reduce the charge pressure a bit. If the original K03 is very low pressure, the intercooler and pipework might leave it totally in-effective !  :evil:

Moving on, i want to keep my standard exh. manifold, its got a 3 point (triangular) fastner design for the turbo, the 1.6L turbo i had a chance at was 4 bolt design so i had to turn it down, it was only £50 too !

I mention this because of the exhaust turbine restriction, which i believe is greater on the 1.9L. As you know, my engine doesnt have under piston cooling and i'm running an intercooler (with fan) and mobil 1 Delvac to counter act this...  :wink:

2) So is the restriction of the 1.9's KO3 going to cause real problems ? When the pump goes on, i'm not going to fuel it for a lot of power, just a nice gain, and i'm fitting a exh. temp gauge and oil temp. gauge too.

I read here yest. of a 1.9 TD that had 'alarmingly high exh. gas temperatures' ! This car's my pride and joy, i dont want to cause serious engine damage, but guys, dont let this stop you from giving advice ! The turbo's going on, the more help i get, the less chance of there being problems.  :oops:

And yes, i have retro- fitted turbo's before, but only to large displacment Diesel's, never had a problem. They where all direct injection with lower comp. ratio's. Mines got 22.5:1, same as standard 1.9TD, when turbo's going on, it will have about 93,000 miles on the clock. Cylinders are in very 'tight' shape, perfect starting and no oil consumption at all.  :D

Look forward to the help and advice as the new workshops near completion and i would like to get this turbo off to the re-manufacturers. I'm most appreciative of the help.

Thanks again. DM

Reply #1May 30, 2004, 11:26:15 am

Spike_TDI

• Junior

Need final help with Turbo choice - just need re-assurance.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2004, 11:26:15 am »
If your going to build a hybrid turbo the KKK 03 is not the place to start.
Find a Garrett off a 1.6 TD, it uses a T3 turbine wheel. That way you have many compressor trims to choose from. I used a ported 1.6TD turbine housing on my Turbonetics T3 60 trim. It should spool fast and still flow enough you higher rpms. The only bad thing is that the compressor housing is too large and it hits the intake manifold. So you'll have to space the stock one, build a new one, or flip it and run the turbo down low.

Reply #2May 30, 2004, 04:52:38 pm

DieselMonkey

• Junior

Ok - the KKK K03... is it out then? ... i can get a Garrett
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2004, 04:52:38 pm »
I can get a 1.6 Garrett for very very little money, needs re-conned.

Please advise, could i make an adaptor plate for the exh. manifold in order to mount a 4 bolt turbo to the 3 bolt manifold, is it definatly a better turbo ?

And please, can anyone give there totally honest opinion on a standard KKK K03. Is it going to make any difference when the intercooler etc.. is fitted ? Totally honest opinion, i can get a 1.6L Garrett.

Thanks. DM

Reply #3May 30, 2004, 05:35:13 pm

Spike_TDI

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2004, 05:35:13 pm »
Get the Garrett and matching exhaust manifold. Then find a Garrett T3 center section and compressor housing in what ever trim you want. It'll all bolt together.

If you looking to make some good numbers you'll have to ditch it.
The exhaust manifold is very small, as is the turbo.
Quick_TD has a k03 on his 1.9 I think.

Reply #4May 30, 2004, 05:43:59 pm

DieselMonkey

• Junior

matching manifolds
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2004, 05:43:59 pm »
Is it not at all possible to match the Garrett turbo to the 1.9 TD manifold. I can use CNC milling equipment, making an adaptor plate would be very simple and it might help in clearing that inlet manifold. what do you think, or is it still not a big enough manifold ?

Thanks, DM.

Reply #5May 30, 2004, 05:53:25 pm

Dr. Diesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2004, 05:53:25 pm »
A kkk k24/k26 (audi 5000) hybrid is an easy combination too.
I repair, maintain and modify VW's and BMW's.
Good work done at affordable rates. Welding and fabricating, too.
Performance Diesel Injection's Super Pump: gotta have one!

Reply #6June 10, 2004, 10:27:18 pm

MK3 GTD

• User+

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2004, 10:27:18 pm »
ok, so i pulled the garrett turbo off my old rabbit TD to possibly use on my 1.9, tried it out and the compressor housing was too big as said above, it hits the intake manifold before the exhaust manifold touches the head, to run this turbo, id have to get it rebuilt, so what i want to know is exactly how much do i have to do to make it work, i noticed the oil return flange was different then the k03s and i would also like to know if there are any downpipe issues. Ive read that the 1.9 downpipe will bolt up to the garrett after drilling two holes? and what would be a good way to space the manifold? stacked gaskets and longer studs?
1996 Golf 1.9TD
1984 Rabbit 1.6TD
1987 Jetta Coupe 1.6D

Reply #7June 10, 2004, 10:34:41 pm

MK3 GTD

• User+

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2004, 10:34:41 pm »
also, what is the difference between the T3 compressor and bearing housings compared to the ones on the 1.6 turbo?
1996 Golf 1.9TD
1984 Rabbit 1.6TD
1987 Jetta Coupe 1.6D

Reply #8June 10, 2004, 11:10:34 pm

dieselpower

• Junior

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2004, 11:10:34 pm »
this is a little off topic but.....
would 2 cylinders be able to spool up the stock 1.9 k03 turbo.  i was thinking of a twin turbo setup that uses custom headers and 2 cylinders running one turbo then the other two running the other turbo.  cuz i want a quicker spoolup time then stock but not the restriction and low output of the k03.
84 rabbit 1.6TD
because real cars don't have sparkplugs

Reply #9June 10, 2004, 11:42:56 pm

Spike_TDI

• Junior

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2004, 11:42:56 pm »
The stock Garrett should fit without a problem. My turbo has a lot bigger compressor side then the stock one. The VW Garrett is a T25. It shares some T3 parts.

RedRotors had/has plans to build a twin turbo TDI I believe.

Reply #10June 12, 2004, 12:17:14 pm

MK3 GTD

• User+

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2004, 12:17:14 pm »
ok, so  i got the garrett to fit, there was a small bracket cast into the intake manifold that it was hitting but i didnt think that it would be enough clearance even without it but i tried anyways and it worked. the compressor housing is less than a mm away from the manifold.

As for the oil return line, do i have to get that custom made since on a 1.9 it has to go into the block instead of the oil pan?
1996 Golf 1.9TD
1984 Rabbit 1.6TD
1987 Jetta Coupe 1.6D

Reply #11June 12, 2004, 02:37:45 pm

DVST8R

• Veteran

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2004, 02:37:45 pm »
Quote from: "dieselpower"
this is a little off topic but.....
would 2 cylinders be able to spool up the stock 1.9 k03 turbo.  i was thinking of a twin turbo setup that uses custom headers and 2 cylinders running one turbo then the other two running the other turbo.  cuz i want a quicker spoolup time then stock but not the restriction and low output of the k03.

Yes it would be able to spool them up, how fast and how much power, well I am not going to speculate on that, as I belive that you would be the first to try it, you would probably also be the first to try paralel turbo's as well.
The Brett of the board...

The Dark Side of Beauty.[/i]

Fixmyvw.com