S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Lots of blue smoke on 95 AAZ  (Read 5837 times)

March 14, 2005, 01:12:56 pm

WishIHadaRabit

• User+

Lots of blue smoke on 95 AAZ
« on: March 14, 2005, 01:12:56 pm »
Just wondering if this could be cause by the injectors?

If I let it idle for a bit, then press on the gas, thats when its rely bad, as the boost goes up so does the smoke.

So probebly oil getting into the intake somewhere right! I un-hook the air breader from the engine to the intake, incase its blow-by, no differance.

Change the turbo
Change the fuel pump
Got head reabuilt
Still no differance :x

:?:

Reply #1March 17, 2005, 11:23:22 pm

WishIHadaRabit

• User+

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 11:23:22 pm »
Could it be that my turbo oil returne line is to small or clogged-up, forcing oil past the seals into my intercooler?

Reply #2March 18, 2005, 08:57:07 pm

NGTD

• User+

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2005, 08:57:07 pm »
Quote from: "WishIHadaRabit"
Could it be that my turbo oil returne line is to small or clogged-up, forcing oil past the seals into my intercooler?

Have you added an intercooler? If not then a 95 AAZ does not have one.

Reply #3March 19, 2005, 02:48:18 am

WishIHadaRabit

• User+

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2005, 02:48:18 am »
Yes I added an intercooler, and swaped out the tiny stock turbo for a Garrett GT22. I have made the air flow very efficient (exhaust, intake...). In its stock form, I got 485km with 36L of fuel and very high oil temps. and now its 485km with 27L and lots more hp + oil temp down to about 210F

But it's still smoking :?

Reply #4March 19, 2005, 11:42:58 pm

Dr. Diesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2005, 11:42:58 pm »
if your injection pump has an LDA on it (the boost enrichment device)
pull the boost reference line off of it and see what happens.
I repair, maintain and modify VW's and BMW's.
Good work done at affordable rates. Welding and fabricating, too.
Performance Diesel Injection's Super Pump: gotta have one!

Reply #5March 19, 2005, 11:54:04 pm

WishIHadaRabit

• User+

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2005, 11:54:04 pm »
Quote from: "Dr. Diesel"
if your injection pump has an LDA on it (the boost enrichment device)
pull the boost reference line off of it and see what happens.

Yes I have the boost enrichment pin, diafram, buble, thing...

But I bon't know what you mean by pull the boost reference line off?

Please, can you explain.

Reply #6March 24, 2005, 10:40:08 pm

WishIHadaRabit

• User+

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2005, 10:40:08 pm »
Could the smoke be caused by not enough heat in the combustion chamber?
I removed lots of the heat by changing the turbo + free flowing exhaust + intercooler + big oil cooler, so could this cause the problem?

Any suggestions?

Reply #7March 25, 2005, 07:44:58 am

Patrick

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2005, 07:44:58 am »
Never heard of that in a VW, but I suppose it is possible. More likely a thermostat problem if that's the case. I've got an old perkins that starts to smoke about 2 minutes after it stops working, which I attribute to exactly what you're talking about.( A LOT older design engine).  Smokes on starup, won't quit until it runs down the road an actually works. Smokes again as soon as you park it. Smaller exhaust, a 195 thermostat, electric as opposed to mechanical fan, and a little more advance on the timing helped but didn't completely cure the problem. Previous owner actually had a set of shutters on the rad in a previous truck, which I didn't bother installing on the newer truck. Can't see the volks having the same problem though.

Reply #8March 25, 2005, 10:41:54 am

QuickTD

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2005, 10:41:54 am »
I've got an old perkins that starts to smoke about 2 minutes after it stops working

That perkins engine must be a "dot 4". They only have ~15-16:1 compression. This makes them able to handle lots of boost and make big power but starting and "wet stacking" at low loads can be a problem. They were often used in combines and other fair weather type equipment.

WishIHadaRabit, I really can't see this being a problem with a VW. I would try unhooking the turbo from the engine alltogether. Just pull the return pipe from the IC. The compressor will be fine running in open air. I wouldn't drive it like that but you can certainly idle it and rev it up to see if the smoke is still present. If it is, then it can only be coming from the engine or possibly from a turbine side oil leak in the turbo. Are you sure your turbo oil drain line isn't plugged or too small for the larger turbo? How many miles on the motor?

Reply #9March 25, 2005, 12:45:09 pm

Patrick

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2005, 12:45:09 pm »
Quote from: "QuickTD"
I've got an old perkins that starts to smoke about 2 minutes after it stops working

That perkins engine must be a "dot 4". They only have ~15-16:1 compression. This makes them able to handle lots of boost and make big power but starting and "wet stacking" at low loads can be a problem. They were often used in combines and other fair weather type equipment.

I see what you're saying, but, not a dot 4. This thing is an antique from a 1966 Dodge pd600. It's a natural, and a dead ringer on the outside for one from a 510 massey combine, other than the fuel pump. The truck engines ran a different governor setup, hydraulic instead of mechanical, so the pump body is different (although still a CAV rotary).Governor is very fussy and sensitive to any restriction in the fuel line, will get very surgy at part throttle long before you notice a power loss at WOT.Advancing the timing a little helped with the smoke, (as per St. Mary's Joe's suggestion)  but makes it tougher to start. Love to have a dot 4 like Joe's got in the Peterbilt!

BTW, according to my Dodge manual, compression ratio is 16.5 to 1. Pump says max rpm is 3150, an old cross reference book I looked at once at Headley Bennett's said 120 horse at 2800 rpm and 335 ft/lbs of torque, if my memory is any good!:lol:

Reply #10March 25, 2005, 01:11:01 pm

WishIHadaRabit

• User+

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2005, 01:11:01 pm »
Quote from: "QuickTD"
Are you sure your turbo oil drain line isn't plugged or too small for the larger turbo? How many miles on the motor?

I'm gonna change the oil return line this weekend.
The block has 440 000km but sounds, starts, and runs real good.
That's why I'm so confused.
After all the things I've change, it still smokes

I have an air filter that I can hook up to the intake manifold, so I'll try runing without the turbo first.

Thanks

Fixmyvw.com