S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: tach reading incorrect  (Read 4612 times)

November 21, 2007, 05:34:07 pm

fillmore

• Junior

• http://fillmorenorthband.tripod.com
tach reading incorrect
« on: November 21, 2007, 05:34:07 pm »
the tach on my AAZ 1.9td is no working correctly, when the car is idling the tach is reading around 2200 rpm, when accelerating through the gears the tach will hit red line and the oil light will flash once. i took a closer look at the wiring to the alt and found a 2 prong plug aswell as the main power source for the alt. i tried unplugging the 2 pin connector and the tach did stop working but the oil light wold flash constantly so i plugged it back in..

what causes a tach to jump around and read incorrectly? the serp belt and tensioner are new and working fine, all the wiring looks fine, no corrosion or breaks anywhere, could it have pulled out of the back of my cluster perhaps?

Reply #1November 23, 2007, 09:05:26 pm

bigblockchev

• Veteran

tach reading incorrect
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 09:05:26 pm »
If you pull the cluster and reseat the two plugs you may find that things  clear up. It is dirt simple to get the cluster out. the light switch just pulls forward with finger pressure and the little cover on the other side does the same no prying with screwdrivers or anything. Take out the two phillips  screws holding the cluster surround trim and pull out with both hands on the sides of the trim , you may have to pry slightly at the top to get clearance. There are two more phillips screws holding the cluster in after that . Remove them and tilt/wiggle the cluster  forward diagonaly to partially remove it. the plugs have little retainer clips which must be pushed in on the sides to allow the plug to be removed. Loosen the plugs off and push them back in. You will be able to determine if this helps even without completely re installing by starting the car and checking the tach to see the rpms. Maybe it works maybe not but it takes 5 mins tops and costs nothing. Cheers Dan
it's always something simple
one test is worth a thousand guesses
95 Chev Suburban 6.5 w performance mods
91 Mercedes 300D 603.960 6cyl 3L
87 Mercedes 190D 2.5 Turbo
2000 Jetta TDI
76 Onan  MDJF 15Kw genset
5.5 years and counting on B100

Reply #2November 24, 2007, 03:10:25 am

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
tach reading incorrect
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 03:10:25 am »
I don't know much about the '93 diesels but how's the voltage regulator doing? Mine is messing up and it throws my tach off.... '91 Golf with a gasser tach converted to work with the W terminal.
 I think the tack is driven by the same voltage regulator as the fuel and temp gauges.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #3November 24, 2007, 03:41:41 am

bigblockchev

• Veteran

tach reading incorrect
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 03:41:41 am »
The MK3 tach is a different animal than the MK2 as far as how it works, I tried to find out how to convert a gasser tach to diesel but all the info that I found was for the MK2. I tried a gasser cluster in my MK3 and everything worked as far as lights and speedo went (except for the glow plug light) but the tach was not compatable. It may be that the voltage regulator is having some effect on the tach if the fuel guage or temp guage is wonky that could be a sign of where the trouble lies. Cheers Dan
it's always something simple
one test is worth a thousand guesses
95 Chev Suburban 6.5 w performance mods
91 Mercedes 300D 603.960 6cyl 3L
87 Mercedes 190D 2.5 Turbo
2000 Jetta TDI
76 Onan  MDJF 15Kw genset
5.5 years and counting on B100

Reply #4November 25, 2007, 02:30:13 pm

fillmore

• Junior

• http://fillmorenorthband.tripod.com
tach reading incorrect
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 02:30:13 pm »
im curious to know if the oil pressure light has anything to do with the tach? like i say at idle the tach reads 2000 so when im accelerating the tach will hit readline and the oil pressure light will flash on. Im assuming the light automaticly comes on once your at readline but where im only actually reving the car to roughly 3000RPM it makes driving difficult. when i unplug the 2 prog connector from the alt the tach stops working but the oil light also flashes constantly so im unsure what to do :?  i will try reseating them and see what happens.

Reply #5November 25, 2007, 02:50:32 pm

Vincent Waldon

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• My collection of HOWTOs
tach reading incorrect
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2007, 02:50:32 pm »
Quote from: "fillmore"
im curious to know if the oil pressure light has anything to do with the tach?

The answer is "yes".

A2 and A3 VWs use a dynamic oil pressure warning circuit... paying attention to one sensor below 2000 RPM and a different sensor above 2000 RPM.  On diesels both the tach and the oil pressure warning system get their engine RPM signal from the W terminal on the alternator.

Th good news is that if you are experiencing simultaneous wonky behaviour of both your tach and your oil pressure lights it's a great clue that points to an issue at what they share:  the W signal from the tach.

Check the wiring at the tach closely... particularly the two smaller wires... is the connector corroded ??  Wire broken under the insulation due to vibrations (has happened to me twice) ??  Belt nice and tight ??
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3, 1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Reply #6November 25, 2007, 03:05:40 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
tach reading incorrect
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007, 03:05:40 pm »
Quote from: "Vincent Waldon"

A2 and A3 VWs use a dynamic oil pressure warning circuit... paying attention to one sensor below 2000 RPM and a different sensor above 2000 RPM.  On diesels both the tach and the oil pressure warning system get their engine RPM signal from the W terminal on the alternator.

So all mk2s are wired for a tach? What happens if you install an alternator with no W terminal?
Tyler