Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Engine replacment fun  (Read 3928 times)

March 13, 2005, 12:03:17 pm

TDJohn

Engine replacment fun
« on: March 13, 2005, 12:03:17 pm »
I'm almost done my engine replacment on an 1.9 IDI Golf a few questions have come up.

1 the new engine has a timing belt tensor stud that is bigger than the old and the new tensor doesn't fit, do tensors come in two differant sizes?

2 my pump is differant than the one describled in bently,  my pump has the oblong holes on the face of the pully.  To adjust timing do I unlock the cam and crank and than rotate them with the pump locked?    I would assume that moving the timing back, befor TDC would advance timing, and moving it after TDC would retard my timing?

Lets also make sure my terminology is right  advanceing is to inject fuel earlier befor TDC and retarding is to move closer to TDC.

TDJohn

Reply #1March 13, 2005, 12:14:09 pm

QuickTD

• Veteran

Engine replacment fun
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2005, 12:14:09 pm »
The old style manual tensioner was used up until late '94, it took the 10mm dia stud. The late model automatic tensioner uses a reduced diameter (8mm) on the outer end of the stud. You have to change the stud and the steel timing belt cover backing plate to use the automatic tensioner. The timing belt cover has a hole that the automatic tensioner "tab" sticks into.

Your injection pump is also the late model type. You need a 6mm pin to lock the pulley hub to the pump and you leave the 3 pulley bolts loose until the belt is installed and tensioned. The pin can be made from a long 6mm bolt with the threaded end cut off. I have a TSB with the procedure. If you want it, PM me with your E-mail address and I'll send it to you.