S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Coolant leak  (Read 3375 times)

October 17, 2007, 10:53:59 pm

jolotter

• Junior

Coolant leak
« on: October 17, 2007, 10:53:59 pm »
Engine is 1.9 AAZ.  I have a steady stream of coolant running out the bolt hole of the 3-way coolant port with the two sensors on the ?front? of the head.  It's to the left of the IP if you're sitting in the car.  THe PO had filled up the o-ring groove with RTV.  When I cleaned it out the seating area of the O-ring had some scores across it near the bolt holes.  I put a bead of RTV and a new o-ring and tightened it up.  Still leaking.

My 1.6 gasket kit had o-rings as well as gaskets for the coolant ports.  Should both be used?  Is the o=ring a standard black round one?  The metal port I got off a gasser had a green ring that looked square and no gasket.  Maybe just deformed by pressure?

How can I stop this leak?

Johann

83.5 Vanagon soon to be equipped with
1990 1.6 TD engine
93 Golf 1.9TD and spare engine/tranny

Reply #1October 18, 2007, 02:06:43 pm

Doug

Coolant leak
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 02:06:43 pm »
Are you sure that the Oring has sufficient thickness to fill the groove as well as protrude above it? Sounds like the green one was a thicker item. If the Oring is contained within the groove as well as has some crush thickness then the fitting will seal. I have seen some kits that do not seem to provide the correct Orings. Try your old green one as an experiment.

Reply #2October 18, 2007, 09:26:31 pm

jolotter

• Junior

Coolant leak
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 09:26:31 pm »
I put the coolant port from my spare engine on with the same o-ring.  Looking at the two parts, the second one also had some small scores near one bolt hole.  But it was relatively flat across the sealing surface whereas the old part was slightly concave.  Anyway, the newer part sealed up perfect. :D

Is there an application for those paper gaskets that came in my kit?

Johann
83.5 Vanagon soon to be equipped with
1990 1.6 TD engine
93 Golf 1.9TD and spare engine/tranny

Reply #3October 19, 2007, 08:19:44 am

Jetta Fan

• Veteran

Coolant leak
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 08:19:44 am »
I had a leak in the same place a while back on my 97 Jetta (AAZ). It was the O-ring in my case (a couple of bucks from the dealer). However, he told me the flange (the plastic part) often cracks and leaks when under pressure.

The O-ring was a black one, round (not square). And the dealer didn't mention anything about a paper gasket.

Glad you got it sealed up without spending much. That always helps.
1997 Jetta 1.9TD AAZ

Fixmyvw.com