S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Ziptar's Eco-Carat Project  (Read 26972 times)

Reply #15December 03, 2007, 11:15:53 am

Ziptar

• Veteran

Ziptar's Eco-Carat Project
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2007, 11:15:53 am »
Spent yesterday putting the interior back in and adding the blue padding. Seems like decent stuff, cuts and forms easy. Seems to do the job and does make it quiet, every bit as good as the factory jute padding. I ut it everywhere though so it made fitting the carpet a bit tight.

I only had time to do one short video yesterday. It was the first cold start of the day. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqK4hHNXdMc

Am I being overly sensitive or do you here a ticky lifter or two?

Reply #16December 03, 2007, 11:31:38 am

myke_w

• Veteran

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2007, 11:31:38 am »
sounds fine to me, give it a while, when it warms up it will probably be gone..

btw, does montana gtd get the gtd intercooler setups on a regular basis? I really want one.. if you ever switch to a fmic, let me know...

Nice work tho!  :D
Contact me for hard to find for idi and tdi parts

Reply #17December 03, 2007, 12:02:35 pm

Ziptar

• Veteran

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2007, 12:02:35 pm »
myke_w, Thanks for the input, hard for me to tell after 10 years of TDI ownership.
MontanaGTD and I had been PM'ing back and forth for pretty much a year about maybe being able to get me one. He finally went through a bit of time and trouble to hook me up.
He has two for sale right now, shoot him a PM. http://vwdiesel.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=11372 they aren't complete but it's the IC itself and the shroud. The boost pipes and brackets would be pretty easy to fab up. I just had my mind set on a complete factory setup.

Reply #18December 03, 2007, 12:40:14 pm

myke_w

• Veteran

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2007, 12:40:14 pm »
:D
Contact me for hard to find for idi and tdi parts

Reply #19December 09, 2007, 10:50:16 am

Ziptar

• Veteran

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2007, 10:50:16 am »
Yesterday I finished putting the interior in and gave her a wash and a lite detail.

Lots of stuff to do yet, get an LDA, put in the IC, find a headliner, new carpet, and other interior details, decide on wheels, etc. I may just get a set of black Corrado steel wheel centers and run the 14" wheels for a bit. If the financial gods allow, my pump will take a trip to see Giles too.

I also waiting on belts, hoses, etc. Also have an oil leak to chase down, seems like the back of the engine, turbo line or valve cover maybe.

I filled it yesterday and added twice the recommended Power Service. Did a 60 mile test run on the interstate, too early to say for sure but, looks like my slow IP drip is gone. Is it ossible that the Power Service caused the seal to swell and seal again?

Nice thing is I have driven 70 miles since the fill up and the fuel gauge has yet to move. :lol: I am sure it's because I filled it way up but, interesting non the less. At 70 MPH RPM was just under 2750. The ASF trans is nice!

Now more pics: Don't mind the steering wheel, I have a really nice leather wrapped Corrado Steering wheel on the way.

Reply #20December 09, 2007, 12:35:33 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2007, 12:35:33 pm »
Wow does that car ever look nice.

Good work
Tyler

Reply #21December 09, 2007, 08:10:11 pm

Ziptar

• Veteran

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2007, 08:10:11 pm »
Yeah it does. :lol:  Thanks!

Reply #22December 10, 2007, 09:01:08 pm

madmedix

• Junior

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2007, 09:01:08 pm »
Aye, that is. I am anxious to hear how the Wally-World bedding material works out :)
'90 TD Jetta

Reply #23December 11, 2007, 01:16:23 am

MaxHedrm

• Junior

• blog
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2007, 01:16:23 am »
Quote from: "madmedix"
Aye, that is. I am anxious to hear how the Wally-World bedding material works out :)

Me too.

That cleaned up really nice. Looks great.

DRIVE: 2010 Golf TDI
DRIVE (less): 2001 TT Roadster

Reply #24December 11, 2007, 04:34:05 am

DooeyTrials

ECO IP with LDA?
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2007, 04:34:05 am »
Hi, Excellent job your doing

i just have one question. I read that you want to get hold of an LDA to put onto you ECO Pump and just wondered how easy it was to fit, as i would like to do the same. Is it just a case of unbolt one bit put the LDA housing on? or is there more to it?

Thanks

Chris

Reply #25December 11, 2007, 06:47:05 am

Ziptar

• Veteran

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2007, 06:47:05 am »
Thanks all!

Wow, what a difference a coolant flush makes!! Up until now my gauge ran just about 3/4 of the way up all the time.  I ran some Zerex Super Cleaner through it for about a week then flushed it and added a a 50-50 mix of distilled water and Zerex G-05, (G11 equivalent). Now the gauge barley hits the halfway mark in fact it is mostly below it. It did seem that there was no thermostat, or it was stuck open when I flushed it. I have a new 87c one on the way but still impressive to see a flush really did something. Considering the high yesterday was 81F, I'd say it worked good.

madmedix: Wally World Sleep mats seem to be doing the job thus far, Hard to tell at the moment I haven't charged the A/C yet so I am driving around with windows and sun roof 0pen most of the time. I also don't have a headliner yet, that doesn't help.

I drove it on my 200 mile daily commute yesterday, going to again today so maybe I'll grab a video at highway speed with the windows and sunroof closed to give you guys an idea of noise. "ill grab some pics of the catpet too so you can see the fitment.

DooeyTrials: No idea really, I have read that it can be done with the pump on the engine, or if things work out, I'll just send it with my pump to Giles. I am probably going to have to buy a whole pump to get one. I want to keep the ECO plunger and head though. I think with the LDA, Intercooler, and some tweaking it'll give plenty of power and acceleration with giving up too much mileage wise.

Speaking of which, when I got home last night, I was just barely cresting the hump of a half tank and have gone 327 miles thus far :D. I think once I get the IC in, and LDA, and a some 195/60-14 tires on it, I'll be in the sweet spot of great MPG and nice Highway Cruising.

Reply #26December 11, 2007, 07:54:43 am

Jetta Fan

• Veteran

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2007, 07:54:43 am »
Been following this project and must say Well Done Ziptar!  :D

Nice clean looking car....great job.

Enjoy!
1997 Jetta 1.9TD AAZ

Reply #27December 11, 2007, 08:53:24 am

DooeyTrials

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2007, 08:53:24 am »
Ok thanks. i dont really want to have to buy a new pump as they are expensive and as im only 17 and my insurance is madly high i dont have much money atm but really want to get more from my engine.

ill have to do the other mods first i spose, governor mod etc.

Chris

Reply #28December 11, 2007, 10:34:09 am

Ziptar

• Veteran

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2007, 10:34:09 am »
Ok, here you go. Not sure how much you'll be able to tell but, made a vid on the interstate this morning with windows and sunroof closed. You can hear road noise and trans whine for sure.

I did some hard listening too this morning and the tires aren't all that great. I think the right front is a bit out of balance or has a small bend. It is particularly noisy and seems to be causing some vibration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KH_1bBOtD0

I almost forgot, on the subject of noise reduction, I found another handy Walmart item.  In the craft section they sell sheets of "Fun Foam" for kids crafts projects.

They are closed cell foam sheets about the size of an 8"x11" piece of paper and a few millimeters thick. They are $0.44 a sheet and so far I have found them handy for wrapping wiring harness and dealing with odd squeaks and rattles. There was a bit of a rubbing sound between the center console and dash at idle. I trimmed a piece to fit and squeezed it between them, no more sound. Heck of allot cheaper than wiring loom and a good replacement for the original VW foam on the wiring harness that long ago turned to dust.

Reply #29December 11, 2007, 11:28:22 am

madmedix

• Junior

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2007, 11:28:22 am »
Good call on the craft foam: As I sit here looking at the ornaments on the Christmas tree my kids made with the stuff wondering why it never occured to me too. More egg nog  :D

Your car seems much quieter than mine, I think that's the way to go when spring comes. I'm running the quietest tires I can find (175/70/13) on older 7-spoke aluminums averaging 1084km per tank (~648 miles) @ 115km/h (~70mph) the non-vibration sweet-spot  :)  I'm looking for 14" wheels in the spring.

Cheers,
Andy
'90 TD Jetta

S-PAutomotive.com