Author Topic: 1993 Passat TD: Where can I find a repair manual?  (Read 5741 times)

October 12, 2007, 09:49:41 pm

TTH

1993 Passat TD: Where can I find a repair manual?
« on: October 12, 2007, 09:49:41 pm »
Hi all,

First post!  I've browsed quite a bit and am pretty impressed with the knowledge here.  Quick question:  A search here and on ebay didn't turn up any information on repair manuals (Haynes/Chilton/Bentley) for a 1993 Passat TD?  Are there any available, and where could they be purchased?

I have a few issues to straighten out with my car  :? .

Thanks!

Reply #1October 13, 2007, 10:07:51 am

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

Reply #2October 13, 2007, 12:35:09 pm

Kudagra

• Veteran

• www.no-coast.com
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 12:35:09 pm »
Quote from: "BlackTieTD"
welcome

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=bentley+VW+passat&meta=

Problem is those all show for Gasoline engines. I dug some through that.
Turbo boost libido and passive restraints
And as of yet I haven't heard even a single complaint
I've got the tools of the trade and a fuel injected heart
Efficiency is beautiful, efficiency is art

Reply #3October 13, 2007, 12:51:27 pm

Kudagra

• Veteran

• www.no-coast.com
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 12:51:27 pm »
I dug more. It seems that Bentley only published stuff on the B3 AAZ engine on CD rom which isnt available at the moment. You might be able to find a used on online or at the Bentley forums. I sent them an email asking about a paper manual for your car.

If anyone has one of the Bentleys above it would be nice to know if it has Diesel info.

YOU COULD buy the later 95+ manual as it has AAZ info in it..but the rest of the car info would be different.

Or you could get a Mk2 and get a manual cheap. I bought 2 from ebay for a total of 30 bucks :P
Turbo boost libido and passive restraints
And as of yet I haven't heard even a single complaint
I've got the tools of the trade and a fuel injected heart
Efficiency is beautiful, efficiency is art

Reply #4October 13, 2007, 01:32:59 pm

Vincent Waldon

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• My collection of HOWTOs
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007, 01:32:59 pm »
My research says the same... paper Bentley doesn't cover the B3 diesel engine, and it's hard to fit a computer on the hood of the car if you buy the diesel version on CD-ROM.

Another option:  get the paper version to handle everything but the engine, and then head to these guys for the AAZ-specific stuff (don't normally advocate this approach but Bentley appears to have left you no choice ?  Take that, faceless multi corporation !)

http://volkswagen.msk.ru/index.php?p=page02 ... half way down the page you'll find english docs on the AAZ engine)

Or just ask lots of questions here.... many many AAZ owners in attendance !!

Vince
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3, 1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Reply #5October 13, 2007, 02:27:29 pm

TTH

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2007, 02:27:29 pm »
Thanks guys.  I've seen some cd-roms on ebay, but no paper stuff on a passat TD.  If I see the CD again, I might buy it.  Here are a few of the issues I have with the car:

1)  Small, intermittent coolant leak by the cylinder head near the vacuum pump.  Seems to be coming possibly from the flange for the coolant hose.  Do these flanges warp or crack at all?  Any BTDT?

2)  No heat.  It quit working abruptly the other day.  Wouldn't work even with coolant topped up.  Could this possibly be an air bubble?  Is there a cable going to a heater hose valve on these cars?  I guess I could look myself  :D .

I tried searching for these answers, but didn't see any close fits.

I'm sure I'll have more questions in the future...

Reply #6October 13, 2007, 04:26:19 pm

Vincent Waldon

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2007, 04:26:19 pm »
My brother has a B3 Passat and it has spent some time in my garage.. for heating issues even.

1) yes the coolant flanges are plastic and so they warp over time... in addition the o-ring can get brittle.

The good news is that they are cheap... usually in the 10 buck range... so I'd be inclined to renew the flange and o-ring in question and see if it fixes your leak.  One word to the wise... don't overtighten the bolts when you are installing... the o-ring does the work so no reason to crack the plastic.

2) the heating/cooling system has a fairly elaborate cable system that turns on the coolant flow *and* opens the appropriate door(s) on the vents.  If heat suddently stopped I'd suggest you start by seeing if any cables have suddenly come detatched... pull off the three knobs on the air controls, remove the bezel, and then you will be able to detach the control knob assembly and see if all the cables are attached.  Next if memory serves theres one cable in the engine compartment by the firewall that controls the coolant valve.  Last the other ends of the cables go to various flaps on the ventilation system itself... on my brothers car this is where the problem was... TWICE.
Vince

2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3, 1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Reply #7October 13, 2007, 10:57:51 pm

TTH

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2007, 10:57:51 pm »
Thanks Vince!

Any idea where I can find both the o-ring and flange online?  I will start with that.  I was getting some heat today after I "burped" the cooling system.

On a side note; my fuel gauge/temp gauge and the lights below them don't work anymore.  Is this an issue with that gauge combo itself?

Reply #8October 14, 2007, 02:03:47 am

Vincent Waldon

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2007, 02:03:47 am »
There's a web of online OEM parts places linked by a system called "Worldpac"... lots of different web addresses but this should get you going:

(having your location in your profile would be useful, btw !!)

http://www.autopartsway.ca/

That's the Canadian site, but you notice an American flag that links to the American site.  Others here may have better suggestions if you're American... if you're Canadian there are others as well.

In terms of the cluster:  lights are lights.. they burn out... unfortunately to replace them you have to remove the cluster.  On the Passat it's not too bad... remove the steering wheel (special issue if it has an air bag), remove a couple of moldings, and then with two screws the cluster comes out.

At least on the older clusters the temp and fuel gauge share a voltage regulator... when that regulator goes bad and/or gets loose both gauges stop.  Probably need the Bentley to tell for sure... or someone else will chime in.  

Vince
Vince

Reply #9October 14, 2007, 12:47:17 pm

Wolfsbur

• User+

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2007, 12:47:17 pm »
The B3s have suffered from several issues with the instrument clusters.

The early units (with mechanical speedo drive) usually have issues with the connector at the back (looks like a computer ribbon cable con.) voltage regs and the small braided wires that carry current to the coolant and fuel gauges,  over time (from road impacts) crossing and shorting the signal to each.

Later B3 clusters have board issues,  MFA issues,  ground issues,  and others.

Both come out very easily (on non bag wheels),  and if you are gentle (have some jewler/watch screw drivers) can be pulled apart and R&Rd.  The bulbs and LEDs twist in and out of their mountings (sometimes they can turn themselves back out,  braking the contact with the board).
Geoff

VR6 93 Passat
1.8 89 Jetta
1.6 TD 83 Jetta
2.0 95 Golf

Reply #10October 14, 2007, 11:09:21 pm

TTH

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2007, 11:09:21 pm »
Hey, thanks for the replies.  I'll do some investigating on the cluster when I get a chance.  I've dealt with a bunch of worldpac vendors for Audi parts, and sometimes the prices from vendor to vendor can be pretty drastic.  Having said that, it looks like most prices for these cars are pretty cheap!

Reply #11October 15, 2007, 09:24:39 pm

commuter boy

• Veteran

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2007, 09:24:39 pm »
There's a Golf/Jetta manual that covers the AAZ engine for that time period, but it is missing some B3 specific items.