Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Injector pump rebuild help.  (Read 3562 times)

October 06, 2007, 03:10:48 pm

Powered by Spearco

• Veteran

Injector pump rebuild help.
« on: October 06, 2007, 03:10:48 pm »
I just bought a Bosch VE style pump rebuild kit with the two bushings and front seal. This will be my first try at rebuilding a pump. I've done all the related searchs for this and studyed them over and over again. But nothing I've found says anything about the pump shaft bushings. I mic'ed
the pump shaft and the new bushing inner diameter and will not fit, well, it will but will be very tight. I know this is not right or is it? Sorry, no camera
to show what I'm talking about. So do I have to have the bushing resized to fit or what.
 The rebuild kit and bushings are all Bosch PN's.
 What do you think?

'87 Syncro Transporter Single Cab "Now TDI"
'78 Rabbit..Gas Weekend Racer
'81 Caddy..Diesel 1.6/1.9 TD hybrid 275HP 349TQ "Retired"
'90 MultiVan, 2.5 Suby Swap, Porsche Brakes
'76 Scirocco TD dragster project
'13 Golf R:. Tuned
'98 Puch G320

Reply #1October 06, 2007, 04:20:18 pm

Op-Ivy

• Veteran

Injector pump rebuild help.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 04:20:18 pm »
Those bushings come at a larger diameter to compensate for the wear created on the mainshaft. You either have to go to a machine shop and get them to open the inside of the bushing up for the shaft or DIY it and ream them open yourself.

I chose to DIY it. I bought an adjustable reamer set for $80 or $120 CAN(can't remember exactly). I think the bushing needs to be within .006" of the shaft. My dad borrowed a deflection meter from his friend so we could test for the .006"

Reaming it takes a bit of time but this whole pump reseal is an amazing learning experience. I would recommend the DIY method.

As well, if you are going to go through the trouble of replacing the bushings, you have to take most of the pump apart. You might want to consider replacing as many seals as you can get to while you are there. I know many people on these forums usually just reseal what is leaking but in my opinion you might as well nail 'em all while you're in there.

If you need any more help or have questions just ask away :)
1990 TD Jetta - 490,000Km

Fixmyvw.com