S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: just got burned on a car, what is it  (Read 4996 times)

February 20, 2005, 09:50:36 pm

dieseltech

• Junior

• http://www.geocities.com/dean16v/Page_One.html
just got burned on a car, what is it
« on: February 20, 2005, 09:50:36 pm »
Ok, I have been working on diesels for a loooooong time and have never come across this one, i recently bought a 1983 rabbit GL turbo diesel (rare in the usa from what i understand) anyway it did not run, the guy played dumb and said it just one day would not start. I forgot to bring a battery with me to try it and it was 2hrs from home. So while I was looking it over i notices the glow plugs were new but the glowplug fuse was burned out, So i thought it might just need a fuse a relay and a new set of glow plugs. well i tore into it and removed the injectors to bench test them since i was in there. Here is the deal, there is ALOT of engine oil in the precombustion chamber.  So i cranked it over with the injectors out and it spewed about a half a quart out in about 20 to 30 seconds cranking. thought it was turbo seals, pulled the intake pipe off, it was dry. anybody ever have this before.  I have not pulled the head or gone further. any ideas    thanks

86 td jetta power everything dd (update off the road for major resto).  97tdi bare bones, DD
and a private junkyard of various other vw/audi/bmw/peugeot/volvo/toyota diesels!!!
Cummins has the worlds record for being the most efficient engine ever!!!!!
for converting fuel into noise!

Reply #1February 21, 2005, 03:55:43 pm

toomanycars

• Junior

• http://www.mathomfarm.com.au
Maybe a crack??
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2005, 03:55:43 pm »
G'day.
Yeah, unusual and I've never had the problem. Is the oil in all of the precombustion chambers? If it's only one then there may be a crack in the casting near an oil gallery. Doubt that it's the head gasket with that much oil present. Probably doesn't help you much.
Peter.
Regards, Peter.
1978 Golf diesel
1984 Nissan Patrol diesel
1986 Toyota Landcruiser 73 series 3B diesel
2006 Golf TDI 2.0 16v

Reply #2February 22, 2005, 11:29:28 pm

dieseltech

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2005, 11:29:28 pm »
pulled it apart, it has a gas engine head gasket for a real old 1.6 or 1.7 carb gasser LOL. plus the headbolts were reused. (can see them stretched) it was the head gasket, never saw one this bad.... real bad, feeding oil from the high pressure feed into cyl 3 and 4. ya learn new things every day, the head is near perfect with the streight edge, and i will pressure test it tomorrow if i get a break. the rest of the engine looks great. so i guess i am not mad about buying the car, but i am upset that the owner was not at all honest. He new there was a problem and played stupid, that would explain the add on oil pressure guage that was BRAND NEW hooked up. oh well. $100 in parts and she will be a nice runner.
86 td jetta power everything dd (update off the road for major resto).  97tdi bare bones, DD
and a private junkyard of various other vw/audi/bmw/peugeot/volvo/toyota diesels!!!

Reply #3February 25, 2005, 10:45:16 am

Hammy

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2005, 10:45:16 am »
Dieseltech;

I had a 1.6L N/A motor with a similar problem. It turned out to be a cracked block, right around the head bolt area and oil passage. Looked like someone had done a head gasket, and didn't clean oil out of the head bolt holes, or they just oiled the bolts when installing them. Apparently the oil will get trapped in the bottom of the head bolt hole, and not let you get a proper torque on the bolt. After it heats up and expands in the bolt hole area, it can crack the block in some cases.  So check carefully when you reassemble.
Hammy (Jason)
'96 Golf, 1.8 gas
'91 Golf, 1.6 TD
'98 GMC 1500 4x4, 5.7L (doing my best to save the oil companies, 85 liters takes me 600 km)
'78 Ford 3000 3cyl, 201 diesel, with loader

Reply #4April 18, 2005, 05:18:54 pm

dieselweasel

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2005, 05:18:54 pm »
Quote from: "dieseltech"
it has a gas engine head gasket for a real old 1.6 or 1.7 carb gasser LOL. plus the headbolts were reused. (can see them stretched) it was the head gasket, never saw one this bad.... real bad, feeding oil from the high pressure feed into cyl 3 and 4.

:shock:  :roll: Some peoples' kids...a gasoline engine head gasket on a diesel engine...I just don't know what to say.
'94 Jetta TD dusty mauve-302,xxx kms

Reply #5April 19, 2005, 03:51:07 pm

toomanycars

• Junior

• http://www.mathomfarm.com.au
Welcome to the real world!
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2005, 03:51:07 pm »
Quote from: "dieseltech"
i am upset that the owner was not at all honest. He new there was a problem and played stupid.

Suggest you read Stephen King's "Christine"...or watch the movie! No, maybe not. You may take the car to the crusher.

Seriously, well done. Nice easy fix but don't forget to measure the piston heights. Real lucky not to do some damage with the petrol engine gasket in there!
Regards, Peter.
1978 Golf diesel
1984 Nissan Patrol diesel
1986 Toyota Landcruiser 73 series 3B diesel
2006 Golf TDI 2.0 16v

Reply #6April 21, 2005, 08:28:39 pm

dieseltech

• Junior

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2005, 08:28:39 pm »
yea i have the correct gasket but i am running into problems with the head at the machine shop