Author Topic: Ok...BMW 324TD enhancements/repairs/parts sources, help.  (Read 2726 times)

August 22, 2007, 06:58:18 am

Slave2School

• Veteran

Ok...BMW 324TD enhancements/repairs/parts sources, help.
« on: August 22, 2007, 06:58:18 am »
Ok this thread is dedicated to the cultivation of power/handling etc enhancements and suggestions for this car.

AKA, help me spend my money.  

Car needs: brakes, Struts/shocks, a few suspension bits that are probably due, (timing belt/engine will be handled by my friend doing the body work too, he's not anticipating any issues based on how it runs).

I "need": ~150hp, taller rear locking diff (Got it on the way, 2.93 posi!), father in laws leather interior and oem rims when I see them next (off parked 325 e30 chassis just like my car).  When I am satisfied teh car is reliable I would consider a Holset/giles pump hahaha.

I am looking for good sources for the above items, as well as suggestinos so any help would be appreciated.  I joined up at a bmw forum, but big suprise there are maybe 10 threads that even mention "diesel" in them hahaha.  They do have some interesting suggestions for some suspension setups, but $500/ea A arms are out of this budget unfortunately, so not likely to convert to M3 specs :evil:

I'd also like suggestions on Colour of the car while we are at it since the whole thing is going to be painted again.  My wife likes blue.  Electric blue.  Not sure how I feel about that, not sure how Chris will feel about that since the car is currently RED.  Going over the engine bay would be a PITA IMHO, I'll speak with him about that possibility though.  I was sort of thinking BMW orange :D

This car also uses the entirely mechanical pump setup, thank goodness.  No electronic timing adjustments like California got with the 524td or like the later ones in europe got.

That is about all I know at this point.  TIA

Waiting for a bigger better diesel to come along.
2002 ford focme wagon

Reply #1August 23, 2007, 02:46:21 am

Holeshot

• User+

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 02:46:21 am »
Have you been on www.MyE28.com ?
Here's a neat thread: http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?p=236555

OEM boost levels are 13.5psi according to the thread...
Ouch - looks like it's an IDI engine, too - "I'm getting the headgasket made at 0.064" thick to reduce the compression ratio down to 21.5:1" (from: http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=31474)

The general consensus on the M21 is that it has a weak (aluminum) head.  I tend to think that the head is actually OK (but not perfect) and the head fasteners are to blame.  This leads to a failed head gasket and eventually a cylinder head that hates life.

Great info on that site - here's the E28 diesel forum:
http://www.mye28.com/viewforum.php?f=12

Beers,

Matt
\x/ hillfolk!
'94 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 - 12-valve Cummins, NV5600 6spd, SBC Con FE clutch, EDM injectors, etc. ~400rwhp, Isspro EGT/100psi boost gauges

'98 VW NB TDI - not stock by any means, but still pretty tame.  TDI-M candidate :cool:

'00 VW Jetta TDI - wife's 300,000+mi daily driver

Reply #2August 23, 2007, 06:08:21 am

Slave2School

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 06:08:21 am »
Sweet thanks!  I willhave my freind look into enhanced fasteners for me :)  I kinda thought 1.9 bar was out to lunch, a typo for .9 bar probably!

Thanks,
Jon.
Waiting for a bigger better diesel to come along.
2002 ford focme wagon

S-PAutomotive.com