Author Topic: Importing CNDN market only diesels to US?  (Read 3830 times)

February 13, 2005, 06:09:14 pm

CalifDreamer

Importing CNDN market only diesels to US?
« on: February 13, 2005, 06:09:14 pm »
As I perused the classifieds and saw all the really cool cars for sale up in the GWN, I got to wondering if its feasible to import one of the models never available in the us?  Like for instance, early to mid 90's Passats, Golfs and Eurovans, with diesel engines.

Anyone try it or sell a car to someone who did?  Rumors? Guesses?  :)

Brandon
San Diego, CA

Reply #1February 13, 2005, 10:44:56 pm

srivett

• Veteran

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2005, 10:44:56 pm »
I don't think you'll be happy with what you get.  I was watching Overhauling one night where they showed the undercarriage of a White 1990 Ford Explorer from California.  That thing was MINT before they even started working on it!  Well, I don't think there is a 1990 Explorer in Canada that hasn't rusted to death.  You would want to come up here to hand pick your car if you had to have the newer A3 diesel body.  I think it would be better to just buy a 1.9 if you already have a good body.

Steve
1992 1.6D Golf - 412K km
Mint except for chipped paint, no rust :)

Reply #2February 13, 2005, 11:46:13 pm

QuickTD

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2005, 11:46:13 pm »
Actually, most A3 body cars around here are in a fairly advanced state of decay, unless they have been well taken care of. You'll want a 97 or newer. Eurovans and transporters die young from rust. I was recently working on a '95 that looked pretty tough. Cars from BC can be decent. The western provinces tend to do a bit better as well. Anything from Ontario or Quebec is basically junk.

I watch those car shows too. I just can't believe the condition of those cars. They actually get underneath and unscrew the suspension and bumper hardware. No cutting torch involved, and this is on 10 year old stuff! I've even seen them loosen a brake bleeder screw! Up here in the land of snow and salt that generally leads to caliper replacement...

Reply #3February 14, 2005, 08:07:34 am

Mikeyworks

• Veteran

• http://www28.brinkster.com/mikeyworks/
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2005, 08:07:34 am »
As basically outlined above, you may have better luck finding a donor vehicle in the GWN and stripping the pieces off you want, and bringing them in to the US. Put them onto your vehicle here.

Then again that leads to some issues:
- Local regs with changing a gas car to diesel
- US/Canada regs regarding importing/exporting engines/parts
- cost and time associated with the teardown and rebuild.

But if you're up to it, I am sure it's possible.

As they always say, with the right amount of money, anything is possible.

Mikey

Reply #4February 15, 2005, 06:06:19 am

VWRacer

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2005, 06:06:19 am »
Yeah, Mikey has a good point for a California resident to consider. In California it is legal to convert a diesel to gasoline, but not the other way around...  :cry:

OTOH, there are no smog checks for diesels in California, so if you already have one you can pretty much do as you please with it. Also, from my experience there are no real issues shipping "used engine parts" from Canada to the USA, so if you can find someone to ship you a good used 1.9TD from the GWN go for it! :D
Stan
C-Sports Racer

Reply #5March 01, 2005, 03:13:32 pm

vwmike

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2005, 03:13:32 pm »
Another thing is, if perhaps you could find a wrecked Canadian parts car that still drives you could just have a Canadian driver bring it over the border for you. Then you just have to give them a ride back in your American spec car.  :D

S-PAutomotive.com