S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: FS/FT: Turbo Diesel Vanagon in Ohio - looking for Diesel Ben  (Read 3529 times)

August 14, 2007, 02:53:25 pm

myke_w

• Veteran

FS/FT: Turbo Diesel Vanagon in Ohio - looking for Diesel Ben
« on: August 14, 2007, 02:53:25 pm »
Looking for a diesel Mercedes or Volkswagen sedan in Very good condition to trade for my recently rebuilt turbo diesel Vanagon.

All work below performed professionally at "The Dub Doctor" VW service in Athens Ohio, all receipts available.

Only 3000 miles on 100% new motor with all the correct German spec Vanagon parts. Bored .20 over with new Kolbenschmidt pistons, all new Glyco bearings (main, thrust, rod and int shaft) and Reinz gaskets, including very HD mesh metallic exhaust mani gaskets, o - rings and seals, new valve job and seals, rebuilt td injectors, new fuel filter and air filter, new glow plugs, new timing belt and tensioner, timing set to 1.05mm, new lower cover. Run through 1000 mile torque sequence and valves are adjusted. The engine is the 1.6TD with the JX injection pump and small k14 turbo for quick spooling allowing it to make instant boost off idle into cruising speed, climbs hills like no other bus I've ridden in (and that's alot). Exhaust manifold is tapped pre - turbo for 1/4 in npt EGT probe (fuel / egt was set conservative for safe operation, fuel can be turned up to go WAY faster :-) but you need an EGT gauge to be safe when fooling with fueling or you'll blow things up). Has free flowing 2.5 inch straight through post turbo exhaust with stainless flex section to handle vibration.
Has the proper td tapped oil pan and 36mm gear high volume oil pump. Has oil temp, boost and oil pressure gauges mounted in cockpit in 3 gauge pod on inst cluster cover. Comes with 5 brand new proper 8 ply tires (load range d rated), new master cylinder, fresh brake fluid - all wheels bled, brake booster, e-brake works, rebuilt vane style vacuum pump, new front pads, rebuilt upper a-arms, new ball joints, new copper core radiator, all electrical components work well, lights, wipers, signals, etc.

New blower motor and pressure checked heater core installed. All glass is good, all locks and windows are functional. Shifts quietly and smoothly with it's 4 speed aircooled transmission which is geared higher (lowers revs and increases mpg)
Note: original Diesel vanagons only ran at 60 mph max and that was a screaming 4000 rpm, that sucks a fat one in my opinion.. this thing is WAY improved in that respect.... a true cruising machine for modern highway speeds.

This Turbo diesel Vanagon gets 30 + mpg highway all day long (26-28 city) and will cruise up to 75mph in continuous service comfortably, without giving you a headache from the noise. It performs the same in winter as in summer, never overheats, new waterpump, thermostat and radiator ensure that.
Makes great heat in winter. Starts every time. I would take it anywhere on road or off. I have taken it up into the highlands of West Virginia, and driven over really nasty terrain without a hiccup, likewise I have taken it down super steep icy hills and had good grip and control, tracks straight and true on the highway, suspension is good. No engine, transmission or colling system leaks or oil consumption. Body is decent for it's age, has a small hole in the front bulkhead (where all vanagons rot from sitting water) and some minor surface rust on the seams and bottom of the slider, but that can be fixed for the right trade. Seats slide well, driver seat has seam wear on the door side, fabric can be repaired, not ripped. Underside of the vehicle is very clean, no rust there. Comes with a spare hatch and sliding door, has center bench and rear seat, comes with spare westy folding bed, and spare Vanagon rims (good for snow tires). Has a 1 7/8 hitch, can pull at least 1000 lb. I've hauled 1000 lbs of oil in barrels with it and it pulled it right along.

My guess is that it's worth in the 8k range on the ebay front but as I hate selling cars on ebay (they rob you on the fees and people flake out and deadbeat bid) so it's for sale/trade in this format.

a cockpit view video, climbing a nice hill in wv
http://picasaweb.google.com/myke.welch/DollySodsOctober...#5013023914459539330

and a pic of the ol' girl at Seneca rocks
http://lh3.google.com/myke.welch/RZHVH6fmJ3I/AAAAAAAABa0/wazI3M-Ji7U/IMG_2268.jpg?imgmax=640

at dolly sods
http://lh4.google.com/myke.welch/RZHUyKfmJdI/AAAAAAAABXk/rOMbOLHV0RQ/IMG_2242.jpg?imgmax=640

on the road
http://lh3.google.com/myke.welch/RZHUw6fmJbI/AAAAAAAABXU/GR1VWnLp3fc/IMG_2240.jpg?imgmax=640

I'm selling it because I need a sedan for my wife to commute 80 miles per day in, and I hate to put so many miles on this vehicle.. someone needs to buy it and take it on a crazy road trip and send me pictures!!

located in Athens Ohio 45701, willing to drive and meet serious traders / buyers.

Contact me for hard to find for idi and tdi parts