S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Got sent a wrong driveshaft  (Read 4066 times)

December 24, 2004, 06:11:51 pm

Patrick

• Veteran

Got sent a wrong driveshaft
« on: December 24, 2004, 06:11:51 pm »
Story goes like this. Yesterday morning, left outer cv joint decides to self destruct on my wife, as in the car wouldn't drive anymore(1992 Jetta diesel). She has it towed to the garage that did the safety for me (I was in a snowplow.) He figures out what's wrong and orders a half shaft from his jobber. This afternoon (part is here) we pull it inside and I start pulling things apart. (He's swamped). I get the old shaft out, pull the new one out of the box, and figure out it's a tad longer, and the flange on the inner is bigger. This being christmas eve I knew we wouldn't get another one, so I went home and robbed the spare parts supply from an 84 jetta diesel. Came up with enough parts (that fit!) to put a new inner and outer on the shaft from the 92. Never thought they'd be the right ones for starters! Just glad the car is mobile again. What did I get sent? was there a shaft change midyear, or a different joint on a gasser, or was this just a big screwup? the shaft was definetly volkswagen, just not the right one.

Reply #1December 26, 2004, 12:51:26 am

dieselpower

• Junior

Got sent a wrong driveshaft
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2004, 12:51:26 am »
something like that happened to me a while ago. anyway i kno VW has like 2 different flanges for the CV joints. 100mm and 110 mm IIRC. anyway im not sure witch models or trannys each is used on but i'm thinking the shop just ordered the wrong part.
hope this helps in some way

Mark
84 rabbit 1.6TD
because real cars don't have sparkplugs

Fixmyvw.com