Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: eco diesel swap into my 86 golf?  (Read 3340 times)

August 10, 2004, 11:40:46 pm

veritas137

eco diesel swap into my 86 golf?
« on: August 10, 2004, 11:40:46 pm »
Long story short, my car is going to need a new head gasket eventually.  Cost to replace it ranges anywhere from 800 to 1300 (3 separate quotes).  I may end up trying it myself, but in the long run I wanted to swap in an eco diesel anyways for a bit more power.

ANyone done this?  If so, any help in getting the ball rolling would be greakt appreciated.

Tim
2003 Saab 9³ - hers
1999 Ford F250 - his
1986 VW Golf Diesel - his

Reply #1August 11, 2004, 01:04:36 pm

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2004, 01:04:36 pm »
you wont get any significant amount of power increase from swapping to an eco diesel. they are for low emmisions.

you would do better finding a true turbo diesel setup.. much more worthwhile.

Reply #2August 11, 2004, 09:52:58 pm

veritas137

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2004, 09:52:58 pm »
I've heard good things about the modability of the eco diesel.  If not that, then what is an alternate swap to look at?
Tim
2003 Saab 9³ - hers
1999 Ford F250 - his
1986 VW Golf Diesel - his

Reply #3August 12, 2004, 10:24:33 am

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2004, 10:24:33 am »
have a read around these forums.

good modability might refer to the fact that you can...........replace the eco pump with a proper TD pump for an increase in power, why not skip that step and go straight to a proper TD?

1.6TD, 1.9TD, 1.9TDI and others are all options... 1.6TD of course being the easiest install, the newer 1.9TDIs being the most difficult.

Reply #4August 18, 2004, 01:03:45 am

dieseltech

• Junior

• http://www.geocities.com/dean16v/Page_One.html
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2004, 01:03:45 am »
I just got done doing a few mods to my friends ecodiesel he just picked up a few weeks ago.  It does NOT have a td pump, its pretty much stock  except for the custom 2.5" exhaust.  tweeking the pump and adding a bit more fuel and about 12psi boost, She's a bit smokey off the line but clears right up as soon as you hit 2,000 rpm and well it blows the doors off my 96 passat tdi with a chip, untill he hits about 90mph then i walk by him. (he has the crappy tranny, so he can only geo 100mph or so)  so from my experience eco;s can be moded, but not as fast as my TRUE 86 jetta td. thats just a rocket. (24psi and a gills pump, now thatst a honda smokin combo  :D )  so the ecodiesels have there place too, and they can be made pretty quick.

good luck

ps: i have not posted on the board much lately because i was in the hospital, i was hit by a drunk driver while riding my bmw r66/6, just got home a few days ago so if anyone was looking for me thats where i was.
   hopefully be working bye dec or early jan, i am stuck in a wheelchair for now. (at least i dont get my hands dirty, i just watch and give orders what to do, let my friends do the manual grunt work. but at least they might learn something working on there own cars.

chris
86 td jetta power everything dd (update off the road for major resto).  97tdi bare bones, DD
and a private junkyard of various other vw/audi/bmw/peugeot/volvo/toyota diesels!!!
Cummins has the worlds record for being the most efficient engine ever!!!!!
for converting fuel into noise!

Reply #5August 18, 2004, 12:37:41 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2004, 12:37:41 pm »
Quote from: "dieseltech"
ps: i have not posted on the board much lately because i was in the hospital, i was hit by a drunk driver while riding my bmw r66/6, just got home a few days ago so if anyone was looking for me thats where i was.
   hopefully be working bye dec or early jan, i am stuck in a wheelchair for now. (at least i dont get my hands dirty, i just watch and give orders what to do, let my friends do the manual grunt work. but at least they might learn something working on there own cars.

chris

Ouch - sorry to hear!  Hope you get well soon.
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

Reply #6August 18, 2004, 04:37:39 pm

Mikeyworks

• Veteran

• http://www28.brinkster.com/mikeyworks/
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2004, 04:37:39 pm »
our thoughts are with you on a speedy recovery....

heck, I thought a broken foot was debilitating enough.  Fare thee well!!!!

Mikey

Reply #7August 18, 2004, 07:38:16 pm

chrissev

• Veteran

Re: eco diesel swap into my 86 golf?
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2004, 07:38:16 pm »
Quote from: "veritas137"
Long story short, my car is going to need a new head gasket eventually.  Cost to replace it ranges anywhere from 800 to 1300 (3 separate quotes).  I may end up trying it myself, but in the long run I wanted to swap in an eco diesel anyways for a bit more power.

ANyone done this?  If so, any help in getting the ball rolling would be greakt appreciated.

For some reason mechanics quote insanely high prices for head gasket work.  For your car (I am assuming it is diesel), before you touch the gasket (it is probably leaking oil down the front in the middle, right?), you need to ask some questions:  How many kilometers on the engine, what is the compression like, is your exhaust really smokey, and does the engine leak oil everywhere there is a seal, and also into the air intake?  If the answer to the first question is high km and the answer to the second is low compression, forget about the head gasket.  You need to rebuild the engine.  The other questions answers all point in the same direction.  There is no point replacing the gasket, when the engine will only last another 20,000k or so.  Usually the gasket is just a symptom of other problems.  

On the other hand, if it is a good engine but the gasket is bad, then replace it yourself.  It is easy to do.  The hardest part of the whole job is putting the timing belt back on.  I usually mark it before I take it off and just put it back using the marks I've made (I count teeth between pulleys, and make marks on the belt and the pulley, then just put it back in the same place).  The rest of the job is simple and straightforward.  I found a mechanic who did my 79 diesel rabbit for $250, then I did another rabbit that I had myself for $70 (cost of the gasket).  I would not hesitate to do the job again.  It is very easy.
88 Jetta TD....sold for $1000, bought an 06 Cobalt, clearing out the diesel jetta stuff now

Fixmyvw.com