S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: more supercharger talk  (Read 95185 times)

Reply #285January 31, 2010, 01:25:57 pm

truckinwagen

• Veteran

Re: more supercharger talk
« Reply #285 on: January 31, 2010, 01:25:57 pm »
that was my thought as well, just wondered what others thought.

good to hear, now I get to fiddle with the governor!
83 Opel Kadett Diesel

Reply #286January 31, 2010, 06:25:38 pm

Turbinepowered

• Veteran

« Reply #286 on: January 31, 2010, 06:25:38 pm »
well, i bet you could run MORE egt's because you dont have a turbo to worry about melting. i would say you should at least be able to run 1400 or 1600 safely.

You still don't want to run too much EGT, as that's an indicator of how hot your chambers are running. You have aluminum pistons in there that can melt, too... sustained high EGT runs can damage them.

Personally I'd stick with the same EGT ranges that are turbo-safe.

Reply #287February 01, 2010, 01:16:58 am

truckinwagen

• Veteran

« Reply #287 on: February 01, 2010, 01:16:58 am »
well, got it running, and home!

took a bit of fiddling to get it started, as the starter had gotten some water in it apparently, as it would not turn the motor over at all, but a half an hour in a heated garage fixed that.

while I was waiting for the starter to thaw, I installed the drivers seat out of our mk3 parts jetta(took a little imaginative work with a grinder and a few bolts) and it is soooooo much better than the hammered seat that was in it.

once that was done, I fired it up(after fiddling with the timing a bit) and took it for a test drive!

some video here too!(super crappy camera vids, there will be better to come)

starting(not the first start, but still a nice sound to hear!)
[

and a ride along(pretty long, but shows how well it runs)

the "blowby" on the windshield turned out to be oil leaking from the supercharger feed line getting caught by the wind, not a bad leak, but something I will have to attend to at some point.

it pulls hard, holds oil pressure, and the water temps are pretty steady at about 180*(more if you flog it, less coasting downhill, but not by much)

had to leave the hood off for the moment, because the supercharger wanted to smack it when accelerating, I think I can cut some of the reinforcement out of it above the supercharger(leaving just the hood skin) and that will make it clear.

then I got to abuse the fresh motor by driving it for an hour on the highway.
I did my best to vary engine speed and load, but there is only so much you can do in traffic that really wants to go 65MPH.

at 65MPH cruise, it made about 8PSI of boost, held water temps of just under 180*, oil pressure at 75PSI and EGT of 550*

flogging it up a long hill(foot to the floor) at 65MPH I saw 950* EGT, so I think it can survive lots more fuel.

no smoke out the exhaust all the way home, but the little oil leak covered the windshield pretty good by the time I got home.

it is clear, by watching the motor move around, that I am in need of new motor mounts, the passenger rear one is moving much more than I will like, but I can work on getting the details figured out now that it is back on the road!

-Owen
83 Opel Kadett Diesel

Reply #288February 01, 2010, 11:24:59 am

lord_verminaard

• Veteran

« Reply #288 on: February 01, 2010, 11:24:59 am »
I love it!  Great job!  Be interesting to see what it will do with more fuel and an intercooler.  Though I love that nice easy intake plumbing.

The govenor mod should completely transform this car.  Can't wait to see the results.

Brendan
81 Scirocco 'S -->Soon to be m-TDI
93 Corrado SLC VR6
'86 Golf N/A Diesel  -->Wife's car
1990 Audi CQ
05 New Beetle PD TDI

"I am a man, I can change... if I have to.... I guess....."

-Red Green

Reply #289February 01, 2010, 11:30:40 am

truckinwagen

• Veteran

« Reply #289 on: February 01, 2010, 11:30:40 am »
well, I have an intercooler, but I think that it is too big, now that there is a supercharger sticking through the core support. if i had a big bumper to hide it in I might be able to run it, but not my smalls.

as for the governor mod, having an uncaged spring, I cant simply shim the spring.
but I do have some new springs to swap out and see what they do.

at the same time, I don't want to rev too high, as the pump has a 12mm head, and I don't want to wreck it.
83 Opel Kadett Diesel

Reply #290February 01, 2010, 06:01:50 pm

truckinwagen

• Veteran

« Reply #290 on: February 01, 2010, 06:01:50 pm »
well, now the motor has decided to be a pain to start.
it started great from warm yesterday(and I already fiddled with the timing yesterday to get enough advance)

but this morning it doesn't want to start!
crank and crank and crank, but nothing, not even trying.
it started for a moment, but I didn't give it enough throttle and it died, but no go on the next try.

I stopped before the battery was dead, but I am stumped, the glow plugs are working, its not even that cold!

headgasket is good, because it does not pressurize the coolant, it has some blowby, but nothing out of the ordinary for a fresh rebuild, and it ran soooo damn good yesterday.

aargh!

I guess I will wait until my wife comes home to jump it(get it spinning faster) and put a little space heater under it just to give it a running start.

god I hope I didn't glaze the cylinders too bad on the 50 mile highway trip home!

-Owen
83 Opel Kadett Diesel

Reply #291February 01, 2010, 06:57:07 pm

truckinwagen

• Veteran

« Reply #291 on: February 01, 2010, 06:57:07 pm »
just put a heater under the hood, and will try again in an hour or so.

god I hope this thing is not a bear to start every morning.

BTW, does anyone know where to get the power cord for a block heater?
my block has a freeze plug heater, but no cord.
maybe it would be easier to start if I got that working.

-Owen
83 Opel Kadett Diesel

Reply #292February 01, 2010, 10:13:13 pm

tindias

• Junior

« Reply #292 on: February 01, 2010, 10:13:13 pm »
'87 16v Scirocco w/ direct port nitrous
'81 Supercharged 1.6 Diesel Caddie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSAcDXLiCCk

'01 TDI Golf (daily driver)

Reply #293February 02, 2010, 10:42:32 am

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #293 on: February 02, 2010, 10:42:32 am »
www.partsplaceinc.com has them for $30.00.

http://www.partsplaceinc.com/products/product-detail.aspx?sku=3710

thats not a bad price.

another thing tindias, are you located in washington state? if so, we should meet up one of these days, i would love to see your supercharged ride...

Reply #294February 02, 2010, 06:11:59 pm

truckinwagen

• Veteran

« Reply #294 on: February 02, 2010, 06:11:59 pm »
well, I got it started finally.
let it sit overnight with a battery charger and a heater under the hood, still took more cranking than I would like, but it fired up.  once it is warm it restarts real quick, so I am happy to think that it is poor cold compression due to a recent rebuild and that it will get better with time(I may be mislead here, but at least I am content)

the oil feed line for the supercharger is leaking(a very small amount) right where the brake line connects to the supercharger, I think this is due to the adapter I used being not quite the right one(I think its for the wrong kind of flare) so I will be heading down to the parker store soon to get the right one

here is the leaking fitting:

for  the moment, to keep oil off my windshield(the leaking oil gets caught by the wind and thrown EVERYWHERE) I wrapped the leaking fitting in some paper towels and tape, which should both keep the oil in one place and tell me how bad the leak really is.

another curious thing is that the serp belt is slipping at idle, but stops when the motor is revved up, it is super annoying, and not doing my belt any favors, here you can see the belt dust made from slipping so much all over the charger bracket

other than that though, it is very fun to drive.

the clutch will take some getting used to, it is hard to start from a stop without either squealing the tires, or stalling the motor(kind of a pain in parking lots) but not impossible, and I will get better with it the more I drive it.

I pulled the top off the boost aneroid, and spun the star wheel down as far as it would go, and put the pin in the most aggressive position, to make the most out of the boost I am making.

it certainly made a difference! more power, and the EGT's come up faster(but still stay below 700* on a hard pull)
still no smoke, and with EGT's like that I can do more fuel, but I will get around to that later.

-Owen
83 Opel Kadett Diesel

Reply #295February 03, 2010, 03:12:16 pm

truckinwagen

• Veteran

« Reply #295 on: February 03, 2010, 03:12:16 pm »
over on the vortex there is some concern about the oil feed to the supercharger breaking from vibration since it is a rigid line and not a flexible one.

I thought that since it is attached at both ends to something that moves the same it would be fine.
like the turbo oil feeds are solid, and I have never seen one of those break from vibration.

any thoughts?

-Owen
83 Opel Kadett Diesel

Reply #296February 03, 2010, 10:36:07 pm

sheriffadam

« Reply #296 on: February 03, 2010, 10:36:07 pm »
I thought that since it is attached at both ends to something that moves the same it would be fine.
like the turbo oil feeds are solid, and I have never seen one of those break from vibration.

any thoughts?

-Owen

Its mass is different to the solid piece (engineblock?) it is attached too, so it has a different 'reciprocating mass' not sure if thats thee right expresion? So it could wave around quite wildly,  in contrast the turbo feeds are kept nice and tight to the block with clamps so don't have this problem, get it tied down!

Reply #297February 04, 2010, 05:54:20 pm

truckinwagen

• Veteran

« Reply #297 on: February 04, 2010, 05:54:20 pm »
ok, so I have heard about issues with revving a pump with a 12mm head to high hurting it.

the cummins pump I have on my motor has a 12mm head on it, so I was wondering what is the highest I should rev it for fear of damaging the internals of the pump.

right now it comes just shy of 4000RPM, how much higher can I go?

-Owen
83 Opel Kadett Diesel

Reply #298February 04, 2010, 09:15:49 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #298 on: February 04, 2010, 09:15:49 pm »
resonant frequency.  but i don't think thats what caused it, it probably just needed more mounting.  no biggie tho. 

maybe search and see where people were having problems with over revving?   i'd think ud be looking for prettty high revs, atleast 5500
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #299February 04, 2010, 09:28:52 pm

truckinwagen

• Veteran

« Reply #299 on: February 04, 2010, 09:28:52 pm »
I have read a few times here about issues with a 12mm pump head above 4000-ish RPM issues where the rollers lose contact with the camplate.

most of this is in with the Mtdi folks, so I dont know how much it applies  to me, but my pump was originally for a tdi motor so...

-Owen
83 Opel Kadett Diesel

S-PAutomotive.com