Engine Specific Info and Questions > mTDI Mechanical TDI Conversions

TDI-M pump setup

<< < (3/3)

RabbitGTDguy:
1. Yes, a VR clutch would be an improvement over the stock TDI unit...and def. an ABA unit...talking clutch surface area alone... a 02a/02j style unit is 228mm (flywheel) and a stock 020 style ABA setup is 210mm.
2. No, shouldn't be any driveshaft issues...
3. Mounts are specific to the platform... the ALH will bolt into the MK3 mounts without too much issue. I don't see the point of using the MKIV style ALH mounts in the MKIII when there are easier and more efficient options...
4. Your MKIII car will have a factory pump in the trunk....it would be more than adequate to use...given you clean it out, etc. etc. prior to use with diesel...
5. ok...lots of room in the MK3 to fit a decent intercooler of whatever you'd like
6. Yeah...you can elminate EGR, but will you pass emissions tests and what are the laws of your area on converting a car from gas to diesel?
95+ here anyways are subject to emissions testing, though...they can still be converted...  I'm glad I have the b3 that'll fall out of this category when I convert it next year.
7. They aren't tapping the oil pan for this...the turbo needs oil to lubricate its bearings...there is a supply line that is usually run from the oil filter flange to provide oil and then a drain line that comes off the turbo and is fed to the oil pan or the engine block for oil drainage from the turbo...
8.I suggest reading up on the benefits of a VNT in the first place. Locked down you would spin the turbo out in no time flat and would easily ruin it. VNT's are variable aspect ratio turbos...or they can vary the amount of air they can compress and flow. The turbo acts like a small, fast spooling turbo in the low end and as RPM's, fuel, etc. increase the vanes on the compressor side open up and make the turbo act more like a larger unit...
Its kind of the best of both worlds. I'd stick to a smaller wastegated unit if you just want things "locked down" or don't want to get into the complexities of creating a mechanical control for the vanes. There are a few variations that people have done out there. Namely Jake on his dad's VNT-15 setup IDI TD that he made a vac. operated vane setup with and a really nice and proving to be efficient one that  made here as well. The linkage setups seem to yield the "best" control apart from actual electronic control. Once again...search the forums as there is alot of good info that is already here and has been talked about. There were rumors out there of someone that had made a standalone electronic system made just for "running" the VNT acutator electronically using a couple very simple signal inputs...I haven't seen anything else about it.
9. an ABA MKIII car does not have "shift cables" from what I have ever seen. They use the 020 transmission which is specifically a "linkage" style transmission. They are two totally different beasts. The 020 is a cable operated clutch with a "solid" linkage shifting setup whereas the 02a/j style units are a cable driven, hydraulic operated clutch (though the euro version did have a cable clutch). Conversion requires you to remove all 020 linkage setup back to the shifter in the cabin and you then must install the complete 02a/j style transmission, w/ shift tower as well as the cable shift shifter box as well. Mounts should exist in the MK3 for this (especially 95+) as the VR6 version of the MKIII runs a 02a setup.
10. TIG welding cast is tricky from what I have heard...though, I am not an expert welder yet...just starting out myself. But...it can be done.
11. I don't know if you'd want to use a stock ABA exhaust...if its an upgraded unit...then great but the exhaust is one of the first improvements you can make on any car/engine setup be it gas or diesel. If you have tubing and the skill to make your own...use the old as a mockup and build it. If you "tie in" to a stock exhaust...make sure its at least the size of the stock TDI  exhaust (which it should be...i think they shared a similar "stock" setup)
12. That'd be cool...not really required until you get into serious tuning and/or upgrades with the car (i.e. more fuel, boost, better exhaust, intake, etc. etc. etc.) but its a nice safety measure to have in a diesel setup.

Ok...thats my take...
Sounds like you have some work to do...
Have fun!

Joe

4BTA4ME:
1.Can I use the parts from a non-turbo 1985 IDI engine into a 4BT pump to make my Tdi-M from my ALH Tdi? I don't have an IDI TD pump.
2.I Would also like to know if I can use the LDA from the 4BT and modify it for use.
3. Does the four constant pressure valves from the 4BT pump transfer over to the ALH pump? Are there any issues with blowback or anything else I should be concerned with here?
4. Would I be able to get the same fuel economy from the 4BT pump that I got with the ALH 02J pump using the 02J injectors?

RabbitGTDguy:
1. A few of them...not a whole lot...
2. Yes, the 4bt cover can be modified for use given you are careful in swapping some of the parts.
3. The 4bt distribution valves that I had weren't any different than the TDI ones from what I could tell... I know there are some others out there though.
4. Your confusing platforms and parts designations.... an 02j is a transmission, not an engine code or anything similar. They don't have anything really to do with each other than to say that the ALH you had in particular had manual tranny injectors to start with. MPG will really depend on your foot and the floor. If you use the cummins pump with the 12mm head and stock injectors..your making ALOT of work for the pump unless you get larger nozzles, etc.
With the 12mm head you can expect a little less in fuel mileage. If you use the cummins pump base with the ALH pumps 10mm head you have, then you can expect probably around the same mpg as the electronic pump...with 2 mpg or so I imagine. Once again...depends on your driving habits...
Also, there is the platform that your installing into to take into account too. MKIV TDI (which the ALH came in) is quite the heavy beast...55mpg rating... with more modding to the motor (mechanical 12mm pump, etc. etc.) but in a lighter platform, you can expect to possibly not see that "mpg" drop that you might otherwise because of the weight that has been lost, etc. Then...there are aerodynamics that come into play.

Most will tell you on here...it depends how "in" to the pedal you get.

Joe

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version