Engine Specific Info and Questions > mTDI Mechanical TDI Conversions

Thoughts on mTDI AHU head porting

(1/3) > >>

jhax:
Hello,

I have an AHU with a LR300 injection pump that will be installed in my T3 high top. I would like to be able to get more usable power out of the motor for this application without risking messing up the trans (already re-geared for TDI and DMF will be installed), I would like to be able to get more air into the chambers via porting the head. I have a KKK14 turbo which as I understand is the best WG turbo for the particular application. I have been doing some reading on porting methods and I would like to know thoughts on how much material to remove from the various parts of the intake and exhaust ports and chambers in order to achieve my goal.

Thank you,
Justin

RabbitJockey:
check out the david vizard article stickied in the idi section, thats a great start. frank06 has explained some of what he does over at tdiclub if you search.

you can also check out some of vizards videos on youtube, try to search for some that just cover basics because he is very technical and gets into the nitty gritty.

richard holdner has a few good videos on the basics, and he is not a head porter so he literally just covers the basics.

I did my ahu head, the intakes are pretty easy, just clean up the casting in the ports and smooth out the transition to the valve seats, they're not too bad stock you dont want to do too much with out a flowbench, less is more.

the exhaust can use a lot of clean up, i'd recommend following the vizard guide for them as theyre basically the same. remember less is more, and hoggin them out kills air speed which will kill power everywhere except for high rpms

RabbitJockey:
There is also a bump in the intake bowl that you don't not want to remove, reduce and smooth it sure but don't remove it. It's extra material around the injector boss to help prevent it from cracking. Unfortunately I removed most of that material because I didn't realize what it was at the time.

fatmobile:
I think that bump helps with swirl/flow too.

RabbitJockey:
that could be, either way it's not worth removing it completely the risk are worse than the tiny amount of flow you might gain.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version