Model Specific Questions and Info > MK1 Golf/Jetta and B1 Dasher

Need Help Identifying Engine Type

<< < (2/3) > >>

RustyCaddy:
A 1Y is basically an AAZ.  Does the oil return, if it had a turbo (edit), go into the pan or the block?  i seem to remember that the 1Y was different in that way from an AAZ.

RabbitJockey:
i thought 1y never came with a turbo? i dont think that spot in the block is drilled and tapped.

the only difference i know is the 1y has longer rods, and different pistons with a higher wrist pin. other wise they are the same with the same bore and stroke.

oblique:
From what I can tell its an AAZ/1y head with a 1.6 block but its hard to tell, if its AAZ someone capped the crankcase vent beside the vac pump. That could be an incomplete 'J' on the end of the part number on the head. The block stamp should be just below the head in front of cyl #3.

Were ECO injectors 155bar? I guess would check that pump and injectors match.

I believe the only downside of running the 1.9 head on 1.6 block are the larger prechamber volumes which would lower compression somewhat.

FYI I think 1Y motors also had smaller wrist pins than their AAZ counterparts.

fatmobile:
  "someone capped the crankcase vent beside the vac pump"
 Good eye.

Second from last picture in the first set.
 What is that hole in the block just above that cap?
 That doesn't look 1.6D.

RustyCaddy:
RabbitJockey, you are right about the turbo of course and i always learn something new in your posts. After i originally posted that i am certain i went back and edited it with something about "if they came with turbos" and never checked back. At least that is my story and i am sticking to it. D'oh!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version