Engine Specific Info and Questions > IDI Engine

Sharing my 1.6td project

<< < (2/10) > >>

RabbitJockey:
very interesting car.

especially because it's an 81, the turbo diesel engine wasnt released until 1983

as4k:
Small update here.  I acquired a new vacuum pump, installed that, and think it solves the hard brake pedal issue.  I took a lot of time to get the clutch cable adjusted.  The Bentley has a measurement for where the release lever should be in relation to the bracket the cable slides into.  That didnt seem too accurate after getting that set.  Having never adjusted one of these it took some time but I think its where it should be.  A quick test just in the garage nets a much better engagement point.  I have not moved the car out of the garage to test the brakes and clutch yet though.
Work will pretty much halt for now.  We are working on moving, which is a good thing (A LOT more garage space!).  So I'll likely get back to this once the car is moved to its new location.

For now, does anyone have any info on the EGR stuff on this car?  There is a bracket that has a rod and a few vac ports that bolts to the injection pump bracket and sits right behind the PS reservoir (pic below).  I cannot find anything on this in parts diagrams.  With this being such an oddball car, who knows.  I didnt add this back since I wasnt going to use any of the EGR stuff.  I can pull the part out and look for part numbers.

I think the car just needs run/driven.  Sometimes it starts and immediately stalls.  Once started it seems to surge (idle goes up and down quickly).  I did adjust the idle and this helped but maybe it needs raised a bit more?  There are a few gallons of fuel in the tank and I have a few more to add and was going to add some Seafoam to maybe clear anything out once I can actually get it moving. 

Thankfully, at this point, the engine gets up to temp fine with no coolant or oil leaks.  I'm really excited to drive it and see how it does.  The actual future of this thing is unknown though.  May hold onto it and drive it to the PA show and be open to selling.

Appreciate this forum.  Been going through a lot of older topics and threads to learn about these!

Dennis Froelich:
Keep us updated please!!

fatmobile:
 These old forums are full of great info.
 Sometimes that can kill a forum because after doing a search, there are no questions to ask.

That thing stuck to the injection pump might be part of a cruise control.
Even though that's not what they look like on a MK2 Jetta.

Looks like your fuel line used to be clear.
 Since there are no computers or spark, fuel supply is important.
 Nice to be able to easily look at it and see that it is moving and not full of air.

Most of the time, for me, surging is caused by the injection pump or bracket bolts not being tightened down.
That's not usually at idle though.

as4k:

--- Quote from: fatmobile on December 01, 2023, 05:22:11 pm --- These old forums are full of great info.
 Sometimes that can kill a forum because after doing a search, there are no questions to ask.

That thing stuck to the injection pump might be part of a cruise control.
Even though that's not what they look like on a MK2 Jetta.

Looks like your fuel line used to be clear.
 Since there are no computers or spark, fuel supply is important.
 Nice to be able to easily look at it and see that it is moving and not full of air.

Most of the time, for me, surging is caused by the injection pump or bracket bolts not being tightened down.
That's not usually at idle though.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, I'm a huge forum supporter.  I get that there are other means/groups nowadays, but forums have SO much information that needs to be saved and utilized.
The cruise control for the car is the bellows just to the right of the injection pump.  Its the same as other Audi's I'm use to, so that was easy to find its home for.

Once I get the car running again I'll see if I can get some video about whats going on.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version