Engine Specific Info and Questions > mTDI Mechanical TDI Conversions

mTDI Passat b2 swap, your help is much appreciated

(1/7) > >>

33B:
Right,

So I've been preparing my car for a m-tdi swap by upgrading suspension, brakes and so on..
It's a Passat '87 with a 1.6td mounted longitudinally, front suspension is completely out of an Audi 80 B4 (which came with 1Z). I'm looking at these 3 options 1Z, AHU or AFN. What are the pros and cons of each engine? The reason I'm looking at these three and not newer is because of an easier swap. Same block more or less (or am I wrong), my thought process is that im gonna use the same mounts for the engine.
Would 1.6 manifolds fit, if yes would they be restricting airflow?
Does 1.6 vacuum pump fit?
Could my stock transmission and clutch work with the 1.9 for a while until i source a good Passat 5/audi a4 b5 transmission?

And also what are my IP options? I've heard of 300TD LR pumps, kind of rare here. Could a 2.1L Renault diesel IP work for this application? This engine was used in 2000s Jeep Cherokee.

Thanks

libbydiesel:

--- Quote from: 33B on April 09, 2023, 03:47:57 pm ---What are the pros and cons of each engine?
--- End quote ---

The longblocks are basically the same.  I believe the AHU/AFN pistons are a better design, but not enough of a difference to be concerned.  I'd get whichever is available for a decent price.

--- Quote ---The reason I'm looking at these three and not newer is because of an easier swap. Same block more or less (or am I wrong), my thought process is that im gonna use the same mounts for the engine.
--- End quote ---

1Z/AHU/AFN should bolt up in place of the 1.6TD.  One thing to keep in mind is that the 1.9 blocks are ~13mm taller than the 1.6 blocks and the difference is at the head gasket surface.  That difference can cause issues with the exhaust or intake fitting as both mount to the head and their mounting position would be changed by the block height difference.

--- Quote ---Would 1.6 manifolds fit, if yes would they be restricting airflow?
--- End quote ---
The exhaust manifold will fit fine.  The intake ports are a different shape between the 1.6 (oval) and 1.9 (D-shaped) engines.  The 1.6 intakes will mount up to the 1.9, but the port mismatch will cause excessive turbulence and hurt flow/performance.

--- Quote ---Does 1.6 vacuum pump fit?
--- End quote ---
The 1.6 and 1.9 pumps look similar but will NOT interchange!  There are several differences including the size of the hole in the block and size of the drive gear.

--- Quote ---Could my stock transmission and clutch work with the 1.9 for a while until i source a good Passat 5/audi a4 b5 transmission?
--- End quote ---
Yes, but treat it like it is made of glass or the torque of an mTDI will force the swap sooner than later. 

--- Quote ---Could a 2.1L Renault diesel IP work for this application?
--- End quote ---
I'm not familiar with that pump so can't really say.  If you post/link pics I could probably say more accurately. 

The following criteria are needed for a direct swap mTDI pump:
-from a direct injection engine that has a similar rpm range
-triangular mounting flange at sprocket end of the pump case
-clockwise rotation of sprocket/shaft
-accelerator shaft/lever on the correct side of the pump and with the correct rotation direction

Each of those criteria can usually be determined by looking at the exterior of the pump if you know what to look for.

chi1337:
Considering that Renault pump, get it's number; for example the 1.6D has:

0460 494 131 or
0460 494 052

etc etc

the 6th number (9) is the plunger size. For mTDI you need at least 10 mm, the number would look like;

0460 404 052  for 10mm plunger
0460 414 052  for 11mm plunger
0460 424 052  for 12mm plunger

33B:

--- Quote from: libbydiesel on April 14, 2023, 05:47:17 pm ---
--- Quote from: 33B on April 09, 2023, 03:47:57 pm ---What are the pros and cons of each engine?
--- End quote ---

The longblocks are basically the same.  I believe the AHU/AFN pistons are a better design, but not enough of a difference to be concerned.  I'd get whichever is available for a decent price.

--- Quote ---The reason I'm looking at these three and not newer is because of an easier swap. Same block more or less (or am I wrong), my thought process is that im gonna use the same mounts for the engine.
--- End quote ---

1Z/AHU/AFN should bolt up in place of the 1.6TD.  One thing to keep in mind is that the 1.9 blocks are ~13mm taller than the 1.6 blocks and the difference is at the head gasket surface.  That difference can cause issues with the exhaust or intake fitting as both mount to the head and their mounting position would be changed by the block height difference.

--- Quote ---Would 1.6 manifolds fit, if yes would they be restricting airflow?
--- End quote ---
The exhaust manifold will fit fine.  The intake ports are a different shape between the 1.6 (oval) and 1.9 (D-shaped) engines.  The 1.6 intakes will mount up to the 1.9, but the port mismatch will cause excessive turbulence and hurt flow/performance.

--- Quote ---Does 1.6 vacuum pump fit?
--- End quote ---
The 1.6 and 1.9 pumps look similar but will NOT interchange!  There are several differences including the size of the hole in the block and size of the drive gear.

--- Quote ---Could my stock transmission and clutch work with the 1.9 for a while until i source a good Passat 5/audi a4 b5 transmission?
--- End quote ---
Yes, but treat it like it is made of glass or the torque of an mTDI will force the swap sooner than later. 

--- Quote ---Could a 2.1L Renault diesel IP work for this application?
--- End quote ---
I'm not familiar with that pump so can't really say.  If you post/link pics I could probably say more accurately. 

The following criteria are needed for a direct swap mTDI pump:
-from a direct injection engine that has a similar rpm range
-triangular mounting flange at sprocket end of the pump case
-clockwise rotation of sprocket/shaft
-accelerator shaft/lever on the correct side of the pump and with the correct rotation direction

Each of those criteria can usually be determined by looking at the exterior of the pump if you know what to look for.

--- End quote ---

Thank you very much!!!

--- Quote from: chi1337 on April 14, 2023, 06:37:37 pm ---Considering that Renault pump, get it's number; for example the 1.6D has:

0460 494 131 or
0460 494 052

etc etc

the 6th number (9) is the plunger size. For mTDI you need at least 10 mm, the number would look like;

0460 404 052  for 10mm plunger
0460 414 052  for 11mm plunger
0460 424 052  for 12mm plunger

--- End quote ---

0 460 494 315

So it cant work for this application. Pictures here https://www.megaparts.eu/en/product/1457593590

33B:
Since ive posted this, i've found a 1.9 afn for 200bucks complete w/o ac compressor (bracket still there) and I have also found the 300td LR IP which is also 200bucks. What will I need to make this IP work with this engine (sprockets, brackets etc.)?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version