Model Specific Questions and Info > MK1 Golf/Jetta and B1 Dasher

How to replace injectors guide?

(1/3) > >>

codeman:
I searched the forum and couldn't find what I was looking for.
I have an 83 US Rabbit diesel and I was wanting to replace the fuel injectors as I believe they're original and I'm getting quite a lot of smoke from the exhaust.  Is there a how to guide that includes part numbers?  From my readings online it looks like a seal and heat shield need to be replaced as well but I can't find the proper part numbers.  Are there O rings on the high pressure fuel lines coming off the Bosch pump?  I'd like to get all of the parts before tearing things open.

Thank you.

ORCoaster:
Having an 81 with the old type of injectors I really am at a loss for helping you.  I would think U-tube would have a video on them for sure. 

fatmobile:
'81 and '83 should use the same injectors.

There are heat shields that need replaced,...

or reformed.
I use a ball bearing and socket in a vice to put the old heat shield back to normal then check to see if I cracked it.

There are no o-rings at the end of the lines.

Careful removing them, don't pull them forward and break the front of the injector bosses off the head.

Retorque to 52 ftlbs.
 You can use a 1 1/16" 12 point socket if you don't have the right metric 1/2" drive deep socket.

ORCoaster:
That being said by Fatmobile I could swap them out in a heartbeat.  I was thrown by the O-rings question I guess.

I use a metric socket and a long straight bar to get them out.  ALWAYS push towards the head, NEVER pull towards the front of the car.  The head may crack at the injector location and then you are toasted. 

I use a pair of vice grip pliers to get the ball and socket to reform the old sheilds.  You can be real selective with the pinch by only turning the tightening knob a quarter or half turn at the time.  I place the reformed heat sheild on the injector and look for a faint line of daylight at the edges.  If I see that then I know the center is touching and when I put the proper torque on it all is seated well.

fatmobile:
 Right ORcoaster.
They are pretty easy to push back into where they were when new.
 It's nice to have a new one for reference but it's basically like you said just make sure you can see light between the injector and outer edge.

I don't even like pushing toward the head.
 I like a good twisting motion, holding the end of the breaker straight up from the injector and don't let it push to the side.
 A T-handle would be a good example. Or using an impact to break it loose but not remove it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version