General Information > Troubleshooting

So what do you do when gas is added to your tank unexpectantly

(1/4) > >>

ORCoaster:
Here in Oregon, we are not allowed to fuel our own cars for the most part.  The exceptions are if it is diesel, a motorcycle, or a boat.  Odd rules apply to motor vehicles and gasoline. Given that I still respect the attendant for approaching the car and asking about my needs.  I generally will let them start the pump, do all the discount stuff and let me fill, take the receipt, and go. 

I have learned that they will make a fuss thinking you are trying to fill your tank with gas and they can't allow that.  So I just let them start it and avoid any misunderstandings. 

Today I only needed a few gallons to top off the tank as I was trying to see if my Miles per Gallon were getting any better after getting my pump sorted out for the most part.  Well, the attendant didn't get the fuel request quite right and ended up pumping 2.25 gallons into my nearly full tank of diesel.  He was not happy with himself, to say the least. 

The reason being is that wrapped him up filling out a 6 page incident of misfuelling report.  Then he was supposed to call the tow company and they would take my car to a place unknown to me and drain the tank of the fuel mix. 

I know what some of you are already thinking.  NO PROBLEM HERE!

I told them that the vehicle was built in 1981 and that in the owner's manual there were instructions to add gas to the diesel for extremely cold climates to keep the fuel from freezing.  Now I know that today's fuel is not that from the 1980s.  It lacks the heavy sulfur and lubrication qualities that would offset thinning the fuel with gas.

I told them not to worry, not to tow my car, and stop with the multiple questions from the form.  They were more than happy to comply.  I didn't have to sign a release form or anything and I knew I could drive on the fuel mix with a bit of a tweak to it.

2.25 gallons out of 15 is 17% roughly and the old owner's manual says I could go more than that if I wanted to.  But to offset the fact that now my fuel will burn a bit hotter and I lack any lube qualities I dumped in about 16 or so ounces of automatic transmission fuel.  Watch, in a month from now, when I can again put about 3 gallons in it I will be super mileage at 50 mpg in town.  That would be very funny, but I don't think it will happen. 

I am wondering if there is anything else I should do with that mix.  What do you think?  Drain it and start over or go take a long drive and burn it up.  I was thinking of pulling some out and replacing it with straight diesel but I really don't think I need to do that. 

Any suggestions from the peanut gallery?

fatmobile:
 I would have probably used 2-stroke oil to thicken it.

scrounger:
ORC
I have to say that you picked the low stress way out of the misfuelling.

What if you had to add over half a tank and didn't spot it. New engine time.

My wife was fueling her mercedes and a worker came running out of the store...." you are filling your car with diesel!"....

Might be good to letter in a sign alongside your filler, Diesel Only.

Your mileage will theoretically be down, gasoline has less energy than diesel.

Adding some heavy oil was a good idea.

ORCoaster:
Right in the door of the fueling compartment is a Black letter wording that says DIESEL ONLY!   Not sure why that didn't stop him from inserting that regular gas nozzle.  I thought there were different diameters but I guess a smaller diameter one will always go into a larger hole and not get noticed. 

I was just thankful I was only topping off the tank in response to the question here about mileage. 

Normally I put 12 to 13 gallons in it and if that was the case I would have had it towed and drained for sure. 

fatmobile:
 You might want to put a big diesel sticker on the outside of the fuel door.
I don't have one on mine either.
 In Iowa we pump our own gas but going to another state might cause me problems.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version