General Information > General

Speed costs money

(1/3) > >>

scrounger:
A few weeks ago I had rotated the pressure diaphragm on the top of fuel pump. Had read where turning the diaphragm on the base will enrichen the mixture as the cone is offset.

The car immediately was stronger from off idle on up. I went on to adjust  the boost controller to give one more pound of boost on top. Of course with more fuel means less mileage. Had a chance to refill the car and was rewarded with a rather unimpressive 37mpg.

So went into the boost diaphragm and turned it down a quarter turn.

At 3.20 a gallon I want more economy than 37, At one point I was getting over 50mpg  every tank at 60 mph. This tank I kept it at 73. Am willing to spend some for more low speed acceleration (as it were on an idi diesel.) Probably will be another month before I learn anything.

ORCoaster:
It has always been an either-or proposition, Power or Economy.   Big honking V-8 or tiny straight four-banger. 

But with the addition of electric motors, we now have the desired compromise.  You can still get economy if you want and if you want to get out of the way those motors work really well for that.

If you have that front-wheel drive going then add a motor to the rear and a few batteries somehow and enjoy the extra kick.

Dial down the enhancement cone?  Well, I guess, our diesel is at 3.89 here so yeah.  Might be time to adjust that black smoke coming from the tailpipe.

scrounger:
Ah Make your caddy a hybrid. Still 37 at 73 isn't too bad for a 35 year old car.  You could probably just start by moving ahead with the electric motor and let the clutch out.

Someplace I saw a video of honda car that was powered by two riders on a tandem bicycle. The driver of the car would shift into a desired gear and the riders would move the car forward. At maybe 3 miles per hour.

When I was an endurance bicycle racer I calculated that for the entire 24 hours, I averaged 75 watts of power. That was output power, I went 344 miles. No relevance to the discussion but the study of numbers is fascinating none the less.

I don't have an visible smoke but then again don't look in the mirror with my foot on it at full throttle, high rpm.

srgtlord:
I think Im only getting 30mpg nowadays but then again I leave a nice cloud of black smoke upon acceleration :)

ORCoaster:

I don't have visible smoke but then again don't look in the mirror with my foot on it at full throttle, high rpm.

Yessss, the eyes should be on the road in the direction the vehicle is headed when developing those conditions.  You might try to find one of those fancy Roundabouts and just do a quick circle to see just how much black is behind you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version