Author Topic: Radiator Let Go  (Read 3774 times)

October 16, 2021, 10:54:59 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Radiator Let Go
« on: October 16, 2021, 10:54:59 pm »
I drove to the local Building Materials place and picked up some lumber in the pick-up last week and then proceeded to drive home and park.  I had just unloaded some 2 by 4s and was walking back for more and I spotted the coolant pouring out of the truck.  I popped the hood thinking I would see a loose hose but instead it was spraying from the drivers' side.  I figured the tank let go from the core.  So I ordered a new radiator.

Yesterday I pulled the radiator and when I was taking the sensor off the side of it I noticed it came off without much of a turn at all.  Then once I got it off the brass nut fell into the tank.  So I am thinking that radiator is actually still good but how do I get that nut to stay in place long enough for a sender to be attached to it? 

I plan to put some air pressure on it tomorrow after capping the hose outlets and then fill it from the overflow nipple.  I am expecting it to be just fine under pressure.  If so then I have a nice spare if I need it. 

The new one mounted a bit differently on pegs instead of those rubber mount thingies on the frame.  I had to drill the holes a bit bigger to get it to stay down into the frame. 

Has anyone ever have that nut work lose like that and lose their coolant?

Reply #1October 17, 2021, 10:17:33 am

srgtlord

• Veteran

Re: Radiator Let Go
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2021, 10:17:33 am »
How old is the radiator? I have only ever seen the cores let go on aluminum/plastic radiators

Reply #2October 20, 2021, 11:02:00 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2021, 11:02:00 pm »
Sarge,
I don't know how old it is but I think the previous owner, oh that would be PO, may have put it on new before I bought it 4 years ago. 

It is one that has plastic ends that have aluminum fingers that crimp over the edge to keep it on.

I tested it with air over the weekend and it did blow out the flange connections and was not just a loose sending unit as I expected it was.  So it is toast or at least needs to be repaired.  I paid 85 with shipping for a new one and I think repairing it may come in at that or close.  Still, it is in very good shape so I may just do it.  I hate wasting good parts. 

Speaking of parts I got my wash stalk and heater core valve today from Parts Geek.  Not sure how they can sell the stalk for like 18 when everyone else is near 35 for it.  The same model too.  Good to look at several suppliers these days.  Some are out of stock which is forever helpful when you need a replacement.  Others seem to have cheaper parts or have not raised them to pay for the replacement when they order it.

Now I need to find a heater control unit as the defroster slider behind the face of the two I have are both broken.  I am considering just using a separate cable on a flange mounted under the dash to close that flapper for the defroster.  Kind of like the old cars and their vents.  I have an unused hole in the dash and could use it to fill it.

Reply #3October 21, 2021, 01:10:27 am

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2021, 01:10:27 am »
 Lucky you got the right parts with partsgeek.
I've ordered from them twice and both times they screwed my order up.
 Heater core for a Rabbit,.. they send me one for a big block GM car.
 Then they send me another one,.. I now have 2,.. then they refunded me.
 Sold me a $10 p-side motor mount when I ordered the $35 heavy duty mount,..
 they never did try to make that right.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #4October 21, 2021, 11:30:43 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2021, 11:30:43 pm »
I was leary of ordering from a place that has Geek in the name but hey they had what I wanted at the best price.  I usually use RockAuto but try others once in a while.

S-PAutomotive.com