Author Topic: 1992 1.6TD ECOdiesel BOSCH VE IP PROBLEM  (Read 3265 times)

July 22, 2021, 12:35:43 am

KCroz1104

1992 1.6TD ECOdiesel BOSCH VE IP PROBLEM
« on: July 22, 2021, 12:35:43 am »
So I took the top of the injection pump off to get the broken fuel screw that snapped inside the injection pump out, I got the screw out successfully, I put the new screw in and then put the top of the pump back on. The new screw was hitting something in the pump and wouldn't fully go in. Not sure of the internals of the injection pump and where they sit. But my dad got it fixed, the screw goes in normally now. Not sure what he did.

But now the revs go crazy at startup even with the idle screw out ALOT

So I start the car, it shakes a crap ton when starting, I left the driver side door open and it was rattling and shaking as if there was an earthquake. At this point I'm feathering the gas pedal so it starts faster (that is the only thing that actually starts the car, if I don't feather it the car doesn't start at all.). About a second before it starts I push the pedal in a little bit further and longer and let off, then the car starts and then the revs increase gradually but VERY quickly and go pretty high, to what sounds like is about 3k, (I don't have a tach so I'm going by sounds) and it seems like it's about to run away. But I turned the key off before it got too crazy, and the car shuts off like normal so I don't know if it's an actual runaway, but it sure seems close to one. It startled me so I didn't wanna let the revs get any higher and find out if it was a real runaway or not.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on? I thought it was a combination of both the fuel and the idle adjustment screws being too far in/too high, so I turned the fuel screw out until it was barely getting any fuel at all, also turned the idle screw out a ton, but nothing is stopping the revs from shooting up at startup though. About a week ago (before I broke the screw) the car was running perfectly. Could the pump top be incorrectly put back on? I looked up photos of one and the outside looks the same as mine.

I posted two clips on my snapchat story of the startup and the revs shooting up and one of my friends said his truck is doing the same and it's probably the fuel pressure, he drives a 6.0 Powerstroke though so I don't imagine it being the same problem as mine lol. Another friend that is pretty good with fixing cars said it could be too much fuel (it isn't, as I stated it does this with the fuel screw turned way out) or a bad turbo.

But what could the problem actually be? Is the governor spring set incorrectly? My dad took the pump top off and put it back on, he's good mechanically from fixing his own cars for about 30 years whenever they need fixed, and also from working with trains on the railroad (although a train and a 1992 jetta aren't very similar) but he told me he doesn't know much about injection pumps so I imagine he might have set the governor spring incorrectly when putting the pump top back on. Could that be the problem?

Any ideas?

A few clips that show what it looks and sounds like:

Reply #1July 29, 2021, 12:12:09 am

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
Re: 1992 1.6TD ECOdiesel BOSCH VE IP PROBLEM
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2021, 12:12:09 am »
Video of what you did to the inside of the pump,
 how you put it back together,
 would be more help.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #2August 19, 2021, 12:15:29 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

Re: 1992 1.6TD ECOdiesel BOSCH VE IP PROBLEM
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2021, 12:15:29 pm »
The governor springs have to connect correctly to the plate in the IP, I bet they are not correct.
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

S-PAutomotive.com