General Information > Troubleshooting

VW AAZ smoking from timing cover

(1/1)

boatguy:
88 Samurai tintop, recently swapped in an AAZ from Quality German Auto Parts using an Acme Adapters kit.  Have driven it a few times, short jaunts, probably not more than 20 miles total.  Finished redoing the rear suspension last night, pulled it out of the garage about an hour ago to go for a test drive on the new leafs (returned it to SPUA, took off the *awesome* homemade SPOA perches which were not welded in, but sat on top of the factory SPUA perches.  Had a ridiculous amount of axle wrap, just easing into a start in 1st gear).  Backed out of the garage, was about to turn and head out when I noticed smoke from under the hood (hadn't been running more than a minute or so).  Popped the hood, whiteish smoke coming from timing belt area.  Pulled the upper timing belt cover and restarted, smoke is definitely coming from inside the lower timing belt cover.  Let it sit while I did some googling (couldn't find anything specific to my issue), then went back out and started it back up.  Smoke.  Revved it a few times, then held it at increased rpms, smoke definitely increased.  Hard to describe smell, not electrical, not diesel.  Oil, maybe rubber-ish?  Shut it off, touched timing belt, hot to the touch and slightly tacky - again, hadn't run more than a minute or so.

Hoping someone on here can give me an idea what is going on, where to go with it.

Thanks in advance

ORCoaster:
Stop running it until you verify the alignment.  Something is wrong and you are going to snap that belt with the engine running.  A death knell for the diesel you are working with.

Again STOP RUNNING IT or you may very well ruin it.

rabbitman:
Yeah that white smoke sounds like the belt is smoking. Could be the tensioner seized up.

fatmobile:
 You can't see anywhere on the belt where it is rubbing?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version