Engine Specific Info and Questions > mTDI Mechanical TDI Conversions

Vanagon Syncro AAZ to AHU mTDI Libby pump

(1/6) > >>

Zeitgeist:
I thought I'd start up new thread about an engine swap I'm about to begin on a friend's '86 Westfalia hightop Club Joker Syncro.  It currently has a tired AAZ that has ok power, but is rough running and smokey when cold, and just doesn't have the oomph needed for this heavy rig.

I just ran up to Tacoma to pick up a fairly low mileage AHU shipped from Quality German in SoCal.  Yes, I know they have a checkered history, but the transaction was easy and professional.  My friend also wanted a low mileage engine, and those don't exist over here any longer.   The van has a nice liquid to air IC that I just completely renovated, but I'm not sure what to do with the exhaust, as in carry over the AAZ manifold and turbo, or figure out something else with the AHU stuff.  I bought one of Libby's last 12mm mTDI pumps, which I also have on my own ALH Vanagon.  That van was used to haul this AHU today. 

Any recommendations for a replacement exhaust manifold and turbo arrangement?  My ALH has a generic T3 flanged manifold with a custom adapter and GT2052 turbo.  It's a great setup, but it would require that I completely redo the IC and exhaust plumbing on this AHU.  I'd rather use one of the stock exhaust manifolds and bolt a different turbo on that, which hopefully would just need some exhaust plumbing work. 

Thoughts? 

Zeitgeist:
I forgot that the AAZ has a JX 1.6TD exhaust, so I believe the turbo is a K14.  I think it needs to be rebuilt, so perhaps I'll just look for a new K14 and call it good.

libbydiesel:
The AAZ K14 is decent. 

I look forward to hearing more.

Zeitgeist:
I dropped the pump bracket off for machining today.  I stripped the AHU down yesterday, and overall it looks pretty good, but the intake ports were extremely occluded with soot.  Eliminating the EGR will resolve that.  I'll be putting in an order for general maintenance stuff I want to do while I've got the engine out--all the usual suspects including the pilot bearing. 

libbydiesel:
At this point I'd recommend the Dual Mass Flywheel and for installing it you'll need the TDI Vanagon input shaft. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version