General Information > Troubleshooting

AAZ BLOWBY ISSUE

(1/2) > >>

JakeofUtah:
New to the forum, if I am posting in the wrong section please steer me in the correct direction and I will repost the question there. Thanks.

I bought a Vanagon with a 1.9l AAZ 50 degree conversion... It is really nice. Found all of the paperwork/receipts detailing a fresh long block install less than 10,000 miles of me receiving the van. Now for the bad... This thing dumps oil like it has giardiasis. It was leaking oil out of the crankcase vent (fixed that), the oil filter seal (fixed that) and the valve cover (kinda fixed that, still weeps from the left rear corner). So what's the issue you are wondering? I have the crankcase venting to atmosphere at the moment because I had a hunch that the blow-by was pushing oil out of all of the seals. This seemed to relieve some of the pressure... but it DUMPS oil out of this hose. It is incredible, truly incredible. I've heard these engines have a lot of blow by... This seems excessive. I bought the oil filler neck extension with the twin hose outlets to relieve even more blow-by... It seemed to help but it did NOT resolve the issue.

Here is a typical bout out with the van. I start it up and it puts out a lot of white smoke when it is cold. I figure this has to do with my manual glow plug relay... I don't worry about it too much as it goes away once warm. The two outlet hoses have a very small amount of blow-by initially, but as the van warms up the white smoke disappears from the exhaust and reappears from the blow-by hoses. And when I say reappears I mean it REALLY starts pushing thick white smoke out of those hoses and the smell of oil is strong. After a drive on the highway the smoke is a cloud that follows the van around suffocating anyone unfortunate enough to stop behind me at a traffic light. Very frustrating. There is no blue smoke coming from the exhaust, if its a ring issue wouldn't you expect there to be blue smoke? I'm running conventional oil in it at the moment hoping the rings haven't seated and they will. I've relieved as much blow-by pressure as I can possibly relieve.

Any ideas as too where to go from here would be much appreciated.

libbydiesel:
How much oil is it using?  More than 1qt in 1,000 miles?

fatmobile:
 What do you have for a vacuum pump setup?

JakeofUtah:
I'd say a quart every 100 miles. It is quite excessive.

As far as identifying the type of vacuum pump setup goes, I'm not sure how to tell the difference between the different types. I will say that the van runs great, has lots of power and the brakes aren't hard to push. If you could give me some pointers on identifying the vacuum pump I will get that information for you ASAP.

Thanks folks

libbydiesel:
The AAZ/AHU vacuum pump is the only one that will fit. 

1 qt. per 100 miles is outrageous and will not occur without something seriously wrong.  That much oil usage will not subside from rings seating. 

Show pictures of the turbo and turbo oil return line. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version