Engine Specific Info and Questions > mTDI Mechanical TDI Conversions

Figured I'd introduce myself. Going to be putting an ALH into an 84 CJ7...

(1/3) > >>

cuban11182:
So I recently retired from the US Coast Guard w/ 20 years as a diesel mechanic. My goal was to do the frame off restoration off the CJ7 I purchased when I was stationed in Texas. It was in great condition, and still is, but I want to hopefully make it last the rest of my lifetime. So why not put an ALH in it that will!

Right now it's in the final stages of being complete. It has a Newcomer Racing 4.6 stroker that is running a Holley 390 carb (did have Sniper EFI that I hated). It made 311hp and 321lb feet on the dyno (or there abouts).

Overall I love this engine, but I've always wanted a diesel. During my last tour of duty I learned about the ALH cars. A buddy of mine had one in a Sammy down in South Florida. I fell in love with the engine after I read up on it. I bought one, and went full build on it. Turbo, injectors, tune, lift pump, rods, cam, etc, etc, etc. It was a SUPER fun car and I fell in love with it. So much so that I couldn't strip it down, even though I had just put a brand new dual spring head on it. So I sold it...and regretted it.

I then convinced a good friend of mine to get one, and he did, and we've been building that one since. His is a Chicago car, so needless to say it's pretty rusty. We've replaced the head, done head studs, and a few other minor things. He LOVES his car. I'm going to be visiting him in Charleston soon as he want's to install some injectors in it, and pickup a spare so he can do an old school bug swap. Driving his, made me wish I still had one...so I bought an engine. I just picked it up today, and it's sitting in the corner of my garage. It had 250K miles on it, but ran really well. It was an automatic car, so it came with the 11mm.

I've been talking with Andrew about one of his pumps, and trying to decide what turbo and injectors I would need to go down the mTDI route. I was pointed to a controller that allows you to run a VNT, but it doesn't have the ability to monitor throttle position. I'm sure I'll figure out what I want to do, and then proceed to change my mind 50 times thereafter.

I can't post links, probably because I'm new, but I do have videos of the Jetta and the Jeep that once I'm allowed to post, I will. I have to do a ton of research to see what I want to do. I'm sure I'll be here asking questions on occasion.

ORCoaster:
Yeah, just do the timeout and good behavior and then get yourself a third party photo posting account and then you can add pics of the Jeep, and Jetta. 

And Welcome. 

libbydiesel:
Should be a fun project.  I look forward to seeing more.

cuban11182:

--- Quote from: ORCoaster on December 04, 2020, 09:28:56 pm ---Yeah, just do the timeout and good behavior and then get yourself a third party photo posting account and then you can add pics of the Jeep, and Jetta. 

And Welcome.

--- End quote ---

I will. Thank you.

--- Quote from: libbydiesel on December 04, 2020, 11:06:01 pm ---Should be a fun project.  I look forward to seeing more.

--- End quote ---

Thanks. I can't wait to start.

Chuck1978:
Any updates?
You can buy brand new AX15 transmissions for $1600. A great swap choice.  Adapt to a Dana 300 (maybe they bolt directly on) or Dana 20

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version