Author Topic: Figured I'd introduce myself. Going to be putting an ALH into an 84 CJ7...  (Read 4543 times)

December 04, 2020, 02:26:31 pm

cuban11182

So I recently retired from the US Coast Guard w/ 20 years as a diesel mechanic. My goal was to do the frame off restoration off the CJ7 I purchased when I was stationed in Texas. It was in great condition, and still is, but I want to hopefully make it last the rest of my lifetime. So why not put an ALH in it that will!

Right now it's in the final stages of being complete. It has a Newcomer Racing 4.6 stroker that is running a Holley 390 carb (did have Sniper EFI that I hated). It made 311hp and 321lb feet on the dyno (or there abouts).

Overall I love this engine, but I've always wanted a diesel. During my last tour of duty I learned about the ALH cars. A buddy of mine had one in a Sammy down in South Florida. I fell in love with the engine after I read up on it. I bought one, and went full build on it. Turbo, injectors, tune, lift pump, rods, cam, etc, etc, etc. It was a SUPER fun car and I fell in love with it. So much so that I couldn't strip it down, even though I had just put a brand new dual spring head on it. So I sold it...and regretted it.

I then convinced a good friend of mine to get one, and he did, and we've been building that one since. His is a Chicago car, so needless to say it's pretty rusty. We've replaced the head, done head studs, and a few other minor things. He LOVES his car. I'm going to be visiting him in Charleston soon as he want's to install some injectors in it, and pickup a spare so he can do an old school bug swap. Driving his, made me wish I still had one...so I bought an engine. I just picked it up today, and it's sitting in the corner of my garage. It had 250K miles on it, but ran really well. It was an automatic car, so it came with the 11mm.

I've been talking with Andrew about one of his pumps, and trying to decide what turbo and injectors I would need to go down the mTDI route. I was pointed to a controller that allows you to run a VNT, but it doesn't have the ability to monitor throttle position. I'm sure I'll figure out what I want to do, and then proceed to change my mind 50 times thereafter.

I can't post links, probably because I'm new, but I do have videos of the Jetta and the Jeep that once I'm allowed to post, I will. I have to do a ton of research to see what I want to do. I'm sure I'll be here asking questions on occasion.

Reply #1December 04, 2020, 09:28:56 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Re: Figured I'd introduce myself. Going to be putting an ALH into an 84 CJ7...
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 09:28:56 pm »
Yeah, just do the timeout and good behavior and then get yourself a third party photo posting account and then you can add pics of the Jeep, and Jetta. 

And Welcome. 

Reply #2December 04, 2020, 11:06:01 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 11:06:01 pm »
Should be a fun project.  I look forward to seeing more.

Reply #3December 10, 2020, 02:48:32 pm

cuban11182

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2020, 02:48:32 pm »
Yeah, just do the timeout and good behavior and then get yourself a third party photo posting account and then you can add pics of the Jeep, and Jetta. 

And Welcome.

I will. Thank you.

Should be a fun project.  I look forward to seeing more.

Thanks. I can't wait to start.

Reply #4April 11, 2021, 08:25:07 pm

Chuck1978

• Junior

Any updates?
You can buy brand new AX15 transmissions for $1600. A great swap choice.  Adapt to a Dana 300 (maybe they bolt directly on) or Dana 20

Reply #5September 27, 2021, 01:21:21 pm

cuban11182

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2021, 01:21:21 pm »
Sorry, I went the way of the dark side and went with an eTDI setup. I need to finish up AC, get larger tires, and then redo the gears. It works really well and even being tuned down with a GTD1756 and .260 injectors, it is scary fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kqg4aIZujyo

I'm actually looking at doing another motor, for a future swap. I'm going to pickup a PD150 short block and build from there. I have a Land Rover 300 pump, and so I need to do a ton of reading and learning to get to the point where I'll feel comfortable doing this install.

Reply #6September 27, 2021, 11:26:23 pm

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2021, 11:26:23 pm »
  Sounds like it's something you can do.
 Not over your head for sure.
 Nice job on the jeep.

Why the PD150 as a starting point?
 and what vehicle does it come from?
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #7September 28, 2021, 06:01:54 am

cuban11182

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2021, 06:01:54 am »
The PD150 is an ARL engine code from overseas. I have to change a few things (front crank seal holder and crank gear and ALH trigger wheel (that's not really needed)) and then bolt on an ALH head.

The issue with the ALH is the M&M flavored rods, so every ALH I've build has had upgraded rods installed. With this setup, I'll be able to make all the power that I need, without any concerns as the lower end is stout compared to the ALH.

Granted I know that the mTDI may not be as powerful as my eTDI, but I'd like to get it up and running so I have a comparison between them (as much as I can).

I would really like the VNT setup. My brother has a degree in electronics and computer engineering so I know he'd be able to help me with the arduino processor if I go that route. I would still like to see images of the mechanical setups but many of them were on photobucket and posted years ago, so I can't see them anymore.

Reply #8September 30, 2021, 12:18:44 am

fatmobile

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2021, 12:18:44 am »
 I just built a mechanical vnt 15 turbo controller for an MTDI.
 It works good but I haven't gotten around to posting info on it.
 Problem with my MTDI setup is I used one of Andrews 12mm pumps.
 It provides more fuel than I can use with this turbo, with no intercooler or water injection.
 Runs right up to 15psi and 1200F on the EGT at half peddle.
 I'm going to park it this winter and do some upgrades.

I've been building mechanical VNT-15 controllers for my 1.6 projects for a few years.
 Different variations of the same concept.
 No bearings to rotate on, just bolts through holes,.. that wallowed out.
 Testing the concept.
 I just made a controller with bearings
 for a 1.6 that works great.
Floor it and it goes right to 15-18/1200. In all gears.
 Using the stock vacuum motor spring.
 I have some body and brake work to do on that car before winter but want to post some pics.
 and even some video of it.

Reply #9October 04, 2021, 02:42:53 pm

cuban11182

That's awesome to hear that yours is up and running. I look forward to see how you're controlling the VNT. Luckily my 300 pump has the EGR on it, so I have the ability to work off that if I want to.

I got back from picking up my short block on Saturday. I pulled the valve cover off and it looks perfect. All parts have been ordered to convert it to work with the ALH and to fully build up the bottom end. I still need to locate an ALH injection pump sprocket and hub so I can put that on my 300 pump. Very excited to get it running!

Reply #10October 05, 2021, 12:41:56 am

fatmobile

• Veteran

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2021, 12:41:56 am »
Here3's my post about the mechanical VNT-15 controller for the 1.6.
https://vwdiesel.cokenet.org/viewtopic.php?t=11042&start=15
 It gives you some ideas about what to aim for but it looks like all the pictures are gone so I'll have to reload the
last page of them.
 The first pics aren't what I ended up with anyway.
The pictures are on my old laptop so I'll have to transfer them to this one first.

Also wondering where you got your short block and if you have any links to info about using it to build a strong engine.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 12:44:11 am by fatmobile »

Reply #11October 06, 2021, 01:31:40 am

fatmobile

• Veteran

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2021, 01:31:40 am »
ooops that wasn't my post.
 Here's mine:
https://vwdiesel.cokenet.org/viewtopic.php?t=9515

I'm going to add pictures of my M-TDI controller.

Reply #12October 06, 2021, 07:57:39 pm

cuban11182

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2021, 07:57:39 pm »
Thanks for the link. Now to start reading.

S-PAutomotive.com