Author Topic: is there a Mechanical Pump for the 2.0 BHW?  (Read 4516 times)

September 05, 2020, 05:08:41 pm

DeiselZombie

is there a Mechanical Pump for the 2.0 BHW?
« on: September 05, 2020, 05:08:41 pm »
Hello all,

Just wondering if there is an Mechanical Pump for the 2.0 BHW engine.  I am swapping one out of a 2005 Passat in to my 83 CJ7 and would love to leave out all the electronics if possible.

Thanks for the info.

Reply #1September 05, 2020, 07:33:42 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

Re: is there a Mechanical Pump for the 2.0 BHW?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2020, 07:33:42 pm »
Nope.  The BHW is a pumpe duse (PD) engine and has a very different injection system that cannot be run with a mechanical pump.  If you want to run mechanical, you can use an ALH which is fairly similar and should bolt up in place of the BHW.  The ALH engines are fairly readily available and are the last VE pump equipped engines. 

Reply #2September 27, 2020, 12:42:04 pm

Chuck1978

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2020, 12:42:04 pm »
If you want the slight displacement increase and the very robust crank and rods and block of the BHW 2.0TDI, but want mechanical, there are a handful of people who have modified BHW blocks slightly to run the ALH main seal carriers and timing belt setups, as well as the tone ring crank position sensor, and run a Bosch VE pump controlled/fueled BHW bottom end.  I have the parts to do this for a future full rebuild and intend to run a European mechanical pump on it. 
The ALH/BHW 2.0 hybrid does require drilling/tapping into the front of the block and through into the water jacket to install a stud for an ALH timing belt roller that the BHW does not use.  This is the toughest part. The front seal carrier requires drilling and tapping into the block for some bolts, but the dowels are in the same locations at least.

A lot of people have assured me that the wiring harnesses on these with an immobilizer delete and EGR delete are actually pretty darn basic, so don't let that sway you away too much. I love the mTDI idea though, but also love my 2002 Jetta Wagon daily driver with a Stage 1 tuned computer controlled ALH 1.9TDI... all my swaps, 4x4 and otherwise,  are currently planned to be all mechanical.  if we swap my wife's 1995 VW Eurovan Camper 5cyl IDI N/A diesel, we may go BHW and computer...

Please post up your Jeep CJ project and conversion to TDI when you get started with it!

Reply #3September 27, 2020, 12:45:15 pm

Chuck1978

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2020, 12:45:15 pm »
Also, with the BHW, you really want to do a Balance Shaft Module delete kit, they will eventually fail and ruin the engine... read up on this.  Regardless if staying computer controlled or going BHW/ALH 2.0mTDI hybrid build. 

If staying computerized, you will want to upgrade to aftermarket cam and lifter buckets for the BHW or any of the 2004-2007/2008 Pumpe Deuse engines. They are a poor design, not enough surface hardness in the steel, and wear out faster than anything else in the engine.  Very strict adherence to the oil specification used in the BHW top end is required as well.

Fixmyvw.com