General Information > Troubleshooting

Oil flowing into intake through crank case vents

(1/2) > >>

TDJohn:
My 95 golf 1.9 TD 200 000km  has suddenly started consuming excesive oil, 4-5 liters over 1200 km.  I traced the oil to the crank case vent, oil is getting blasted up that tube and into the intake.  This sounds like excessive   blow-by in my cylinders to me.  Is there anything else that could cause this problem?

Is their a good source for pistons and rings to fit the motor after it gets bored to its first over size?

TDJohn

Wingaman:
Blue Smoke ?

My 1.9TD 94 from a Golf have 237 000 km on it and it does'nt consume any oil. What king of oil do you use ?

Really weird.

TDJohn:
Yes blue smoke on start up.  But it smoked a bit on start up even before the oil consumption.  The exhaust smells strongly on oil also

I just swiched to UFA polar power 0-40 full syn. Befor that I'd been useing shell Rotella 0-40 full syn for the past 30 000 km.

Could the oil switch have caused this problem?

TDJohn

farkman:
TDJohn

Before you go and tear apart the engine to fit new rings and such, you could try doing a engine cleaning with Auto-RX. I would guess that the rings might not be doing their job because they are filled with some sludge and other crap. Auto-RX is designed to dissolve sludge and other crap inside your engine slowly, unike those quicky 10 minute engine cleaners which don't really do anything. You can read more about this stuff on bobistheoilguy.com and auto-rx.com. Two bottles of Auto-RX, oil and and a couple of filters would be about $100 Canadian which is a lot cheaper than taking the engine apart  :x . Also, have the checked the breather on the valve cover to see if it's plugged?

By the way, I got my Auto-Rx yesterday and I'll be putting it in my car (1994 Golf TD) on the weekend. It doesn't burn oil at all with just over 250,000 km but some people have reported getting a 1-2 mpg increase in fuel economy even with a good running engine :D .

Wingaman:
Humm, good to know farkman.

I will tried this in my old 1.6TD. Its smelling oil  little bit and consume an quarter pint every 1000 kilo.  :wink:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version