Model Specific Questions and Info > MK1 Golf/Jetta and B1 Dasher

Saving a 1980 Caddy!!

(1/3) > >>

jv98:
long story short, got word of a pickup in a yard not too far from me so I went and checked it out. now besides the surface rust the thing has no holes, clean floors and towers. I ended up buying it but having an issue. I got it running but it doesn't run for long. I was thinking maybe air is getting in the lines or something. not sure what, any help is greatly appriciated!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

ORCoaster:
Welcome to the Caddy Club my friend.  I just ordered about 350 dollars worth of small and large parts for mine tonight.  Almost done with the restore.  Then I get to drive it.

For as long as that thing sat up on the bus did you drain the fuel, clean the tank and replace the fuel filter before trying to run it as you are?  I found that my fuel was OK but when I went to drain the filters they gave me a ton of water and other unmentionables.  So I figure the PO never serviced the filter and just replaced it.  It runs uphill a lot better not being starved for fuel.  Amazing how that works. 

The PO also couldn't get the OEM filter off the flange so he add a second filter in line for some reason.  If the first one is plugged the IP was going to have a harder time pulling fuel through two filters instead of just one.  I finally got the filter off the flange but it took a chisel and a hefty hammer to do it. 

Do you have a section of clear line between the filter and the IP?  That will tell you if you are pulling air into your IP and potentially building it up to a point that the engine just stops running altogether. 

Good luck killing all that rust and making it shine again.  Lots of prep to do there. 

jv98:

--- Quote from: ORCoaster on July 15, 2017, 12:20:54 am ---Welcome to the Caddy Club my friend.  I just ordered about 350 dollars worth of small and large parts for mine tonight.  Almost done with the restore.  Then I get to drive it.

For as long as that thing sat up on the bus did you drain the fuel, clean the tank and replace the fuel filter before trying to run it as you are?  I found that my fuel was OK but when I went to drain the filters they gave me a ton of water and other unmentionables.  So I figure the PO never serviced the filter and just replaced it.  It runs uphill a lot better not being starved for fuel.  Amazing how that works. 

The PO also couldn't get the OEM filter off the flange so he add a second filter in line for some reason.  If the first one is plugged the IP was going to have a harder time pulling fuel through two filters instead of just one.  I finally got the filter off the flange but it took a chisel and a hefty hammer to do it. 

Do you have a section of clear line between the filter and the IP?  That will tell you if you are pulling air into your IP and potentially building it up to a point that the engine just stops running altogether. 

Good luck killing all that rust and making it shine again.  Lots of prep to do there.

--- End quote ---
I did replace the line from the filter to the ip, no bubbles in it anymore. I'm looking to replace all with clear to see if any have bubbles In them...as for the rust, just surface. I replaced the filter and it did run longer but still shut off

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

A2jettafreak:
nice!!! early westy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A2jettafreak:
Put some cleaner in the tank..    change fuel filter..   change air filter..  change the grounds. i know there loterally isnt much but the one that goes to pump is important.  also  check voltage on alternator  for ***s and giggles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version